monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:11 am
Canada ups military spending.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-sajjan-garneau-defence-policy-1.4149473

Quote:
The Liberal government's new defence policy lays out a plan to increase the defence budget by 70 per cent over the next decade to $32.7 billion.

Interesting that this is coming from the Liberals with the support of the NDP. Military spending fell/stagnated under past Conservative governments.

I'm not a big fan of Trudeau (certainly didn't vote for him) but I am a fan of these three members of the cabinet.

Quote:
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Transport Minister Marc Garneau are announcing details of the plan during a news conference. CBCNews.ca is carrying live.

The announcement comes on the heels of Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland's address to Parliament Tuesday, which among other things laid out the case for a bigger defence budget.

Very much a reaction to the current state of America.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-foreign-policy-speech-1.4147672

Quote:
Canada will step up to play a leadership role on the world stage as the U.S. turns inward to focus on its own national interests, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a major policy speech today.

While never mentioning Donald Trump by name, Freeland rejected many of the U.S. president's policies, including the withdrawal from the Paris climate agreement, imposing protectionist trade policies, and closing the nation's doors to refugees.

"The fact that our friend and ally has come to question the very worth of its mantle of global leadership, puts into sharper focus the need for the rest of us to set our own clear and sovereign course," she said.

"For Canada, that course must be the renewal, indeed the strengthening, of the postwar multilateral order. We will follow this path, with open hands and open hearts extended to our American friends, seeking to make common cause as we have so often in the past."

In a lengthy foreign policy speech delivered in the House of Commons, Freeland praised the U.S. for the "outsized role" it has played in the world in past, and urged the country not to veer off that course.

"We seek and will continue to seek to persuade our friends that their continued international leadership is very much in their national interest — as well as that of the rest of the free world," she said.

I disagree with a fair chunk of what Ms. Freeland said (I want Canada to be more connected with the TPP and EU rather than with the US) but I understand the political rationale.

camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:12 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I guess you missed that part in history where the US was under constant attack on the high seas by the Barbary pirates? The US slaves they took and "ransom" they demanded to be paid? Talk about learning your US history.

I guess you missed the part about how they were put down in short order and then the US assumed their position as pirates on the high sea and pirates in hundreds of countries around the world.
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Of course. It was usual US aggression for which there was no need.
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:17 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Interesting. Given Russia's move into the Ukraine do you think they could have been relied upon not to try and dominate the other members of any such organization?

Such lies, Finn. The US overthrew the government of Ukraine. The US is in Kiev, the Russians aren't.
Quote:
Washington Was Behind Ukraine Coup: Obama admits that US “Brokered a Deal” in Support of “Regime Change”

US Sticks to Tried and True Policy of Supporting Coups

US President Barack Obama revealed the United States’ involvement in the Ukrainian crisis from its outset and admitted that the United States “had brokered a deal to transition power in Ukraine.”

US President Barack Obama’s recent interview with CNN’s Fareed Zakiria reveals the United States’ involvement in the Ukrainian crisis from its outset and that the country worked directly with Ukrainian right-wing fascist groups, experts told Sputnik.

On Sunday, in his interview with CNN, Obama admitted that the United States “had brokered a deal to transition power in Ukraine.”

“Obama’s statement is reiterating something that the world public opinion already knew — the US was involved in the coup of [ex-Ukrainian President] Viktor Yanukovych from the start. History shows us that the US has overthrown numerous governments in Latin America, Asia and Africa and replaced them with leaders that ruled with a fascist ideology that proved useful for Washington’s geopolitical interests,” independent researcher and writer Timothy Alexander Guzman told Sputnik.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/washington-was-behind-ukraine-coup-obama-admits-that-us-brokered-a-deal-in-support-of-regime-change/5429142

0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:19 am
@hightor,
Quote:
People can relocate.

How casually you treat people torn from their countries by US terrorism and war crimes.
hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:25 am
@camlok,
I was speaking of people displaced by rising seas. I thought that was obvious.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:32 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Blatham hates the US just as much as JTT/camlok does.

It's true.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:34 am
@ehBeth,
Well well...

Canadian officials can spin it however they like, but apparently Trump's NATO lecture did the trick.

The notion of Canada aligning itself more closely to the EU or TPP, than to the US is ludicrous, but you can dream on.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:35 am
@ehBeth,
How much will your taxes go up to cover that increase? While I don't ever claim to speak for anyone other than myself, I hope the trend of other countries upping their defense expenditures continues until they can actually participate in a meaningful way in the future.
Lash

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:37 am
@McGentrix,
I agree. The US stepping back on the international stage would probably net a positive for us and them.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:46 am
@snood,
Quote:
By my reading, The Barbary pirates or Corsairs, were eliminated as a threat in 1830 during the French conquest of Algiers. Long before Samuel Clemens' time. (As if Clemens would have been a hater of Muslims in the first place) You should have read the wiki link you posted.

Quote:
Samuel Clemens, who died in 1910, long before we were in any active conflict with Muslims, "ya know"?

You were implying that we had no conflict with Muslims until after Clemens had died. The First and Second Barbary wars refute this, we have had conflicts with Muslims since our nation was founded.
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:57 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
You were implying that we had no conflict with Muslims until after Clemens had died. The First and Second Barbary wars refute this, we have had conflicts with Muslims since our nation was founded.

When you illegally invade countries, steal their wealth, murder millions, really, Baldimo, what the hell can you expect? You really aren't big on reality, are you? None of you are, you live in a world of delusion, molded by the best propaganda system ever.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 12:00 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
When you illegally invade countries, steal their wealth, murder millions, really, Baldimo, what the hell can you expect?

The Barbary Wars were in the early 1800's you fool.
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 12:07 pm
@Baldimo,
The "stay out of our private plundering grounds" was 1823, you buffoon.

"Instances of Use of United States Forces Abroad, 1798-1993" by Ellen C. Collier of the Library of Congress Congressional Research Service, and Ellsberg in Protest & Survive.

Turkish newspaper urges that the United States be listed in Guinness Book of World Records as the Country with the Most Foreign Interventions.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 12:16 pm
Comey's Statement for the Record - Senate Select Committee on Intelligence

Walter Hinteler

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 12:19 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
The Barbary Wars were in the early 1800's you fool.
Wikipedia has some good book references about the hundreds of years of war with the Barbary pirates.

There's a good book online:Lords of the Sea - a History of the Barbary Corsairs
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 12:19 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
The "stay out of our private plundering grounds" was 1823, you buffoon.

You must be talking about a different event. The Barbary wars were finished by 1816 with the final Treaties.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:19 pm
@Lash,
"They all hate us anyhow..." (Randy Newman - "Political Science")

So leaving other nations to fend more themselves is better than dropping the big one now.

Pulling back doesn't mean we can't intercede when we feel our interests are at stake.
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Pulling back doesn't mean we can't intercede when we feel our interests are at stake.

That is a full out admission of US war crimes. That is against international law, the ultimate war crime.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 01:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks a bunch, Walter for sharing the link Comey's Statement for the intelligence committee. It was informative and answered a few questions I had. Mostly why Comey didn't tell Sessions of his conversation with Trump re Flynn. He did tell the senior leadership team, but since it was a private conversation, there was no way to corroborate it. They all agreed it was better not to infect the investigation about the request.
0 Replies