monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 08:21 am
@snood,
Yeah. Sometimes my id kicks the living crap out of the nice-guy parts of my psyche.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 08:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Does this mean, details will come via twitter as well or will they be published in the traditional way and officially?

Depends on whether Trump twitts something embarrassing or just an announcement or statement. If it is something wrong or embarrassing, then that is just Trump using the social media to pass the time I guess. Otherwise I guess his twitter announcements are another tool for communicating. I have heard both from his people this week.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 08:55 am
Quote:
The Pentagon is distancing itself from President Donald Trump over remarks he made on the United States’ relationship with Qatar.
Trump this week took credit for a recent diplomat shakeup in the Middle East. Several Arab countries, including key U.S. allies Saudi Arabia and the UAE, cut ties with Qatar over its support of the Muslim Brotherhood. Those countries consider the largely nonviolent group to be terrorist, but the official U.S. policy is that it’s not. Trump’s recent tweets seemed contradict that stance, however.

During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 6, 2017

So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding...

...extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!

Asked about the commander in chief’s comments, Department of Defense spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis told reporters that, “I can’t help you with that... I will only tell you that we have, with regard to our bases there, continued presence in our operations.”

Davis also praised Qatar for what he called an “enduring commitment to regional security.”

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert echoed those remarks, telling reporters on Tuesday that, “our relationship with Qatar is one that’s strong.”

The U.S. Ambassador to Qatar, Dana Shell Smith, retweeted an earlier statement she’d made about the “great partnership” between the two countries.

Trump’s comments came as a surprise to officials in Qatar, who Trump had only weeks ago called a friend.

“We were surprised” by the tweets, Ambassador Meshal bin Hamad Al Thani told the Daily Beast. “It’s unfortunate to see these tweets. We have close coordination with the United States. They know our efforts to combat financial terrorism and terrorism.

It’s only the latest example of Trump’s Twitter rants creating friction with a key U.S. partner. Earlier this week, he lashed out at London Mayor Sadiq Khan, calling his reaction to the city’s recent terror attack “pathetic.” Both British Prime Minister Theresa May and the acting U.S. ambassador the U.K. praised the mayor in response. Khan then suggested Britain, widely considered the U.S.’ closest ally, cancel Trump’s upcoming visit.

Trump has also publicly squared off with German Chancellor Angela Merkel over refugees and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto over his proposed border wall. He also irritated basically the entire world by pulling out of the Paris climate agreement.

“Fundamentally, Trump in the last 4½ months has demonstrated that he doesn’t understand or doesn’t care how America has engaged the world for the last 70 years,” former U.S. Ambassador to NATO Ivo Daalder told HuffPost.

HP
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 09:59 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Sad to wish death on so many people.

Even sadder to actually bring death upon so many people. And how sad is it to pretend that it hasn't happened.

Pretend that the opposite is true, that people are being saved, helped, having their lives made better.

Much sadder indeed!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Good to see that you agree that she should be punished, but I guarantee that there will be no shortage of leftists arguing she was a patriot.

The MSM in true form has been down playing her leftist activism on social media. This is quite the opposite of what would have happened if this was a right-winger doing this under the Obama administration, they would already have dug into her past and exposed every anti-Obama statement she had ever made on the internet. They would have hunted down her teachers and former friends and made sure they exposed every anti-govt remark she had ever made.

Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:24 am
@snood,
Quote:
Well, you're "full of ****" and trying to pass off your "twisted thinking" on to Samuel Clemens, who died in 1910, long before we were in any active conflict with Muslims, "ya know"?

I guess you missed that part in history where the US was under constant attack on the high seas by the Barbary pirates? The US slaves they took and "ransom" they demanded to be paid? Talk about learning your US history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates
hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:26 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The demopoop (sic) party is permanent enemies with Russia...

You mean our ally in WWII — you never saw the picture of FDR, Churchill, and Stalin at Yalta? We were on our way to establishing better ties during the Clinton administration as well — until the GOP insisted on the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:27 am
@hightor,
Did you object to the expansion of NATO into Eastern Europe?
hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
The MSM in true form has been down playing her leftist activism on social media.

It was covered in the New York Times.
hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I did. Especially when it looked as if it was going to upset the precariously balanced apple cart with Russia. Eastern Europe (and Turkey) aren't what I'd call the "north Atlantic". I would have preferred an organization which involved Russia.

To be fair, the wars in former Yugoslavia didn't help matters either.
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:34 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It was covered in the New York Times.

And you swallowed it, hook, line and sinker, from the New York Times, the rag that supported the Bush lies, the rag that has supported myriad US illegal actions, war crimes, terrorism, ... .
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:35 am
@hightor,
Interesting. Given Russia's move into the Ukraine do you think they could have been relied upon not to try and dominate the other members of any such organization?
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:35 am
@hightor,
Quote:
To be fair, the wars in former Yugoslavia didn't help matters either.

Nor did the US war crimes there help much. Or the US terrorism.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:37 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Sad to wish death on so many people.

People can relocate. Which I suspect we'll see over the next few decades as coastal areas are flooded because of rising sea levels.
hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I honestly don't know, Finn. But properly managed it may have been a possibility. The truth is that promises and policies have a lot less influence on events than our leaders realize and our citizens expect. Things can turn sour due to totally unrelated causes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:45 am
@layman,
Quote:
Don't no question never scare my ass, eh? I just take the 5th.

Go ahead and ask JTT some questions and see how quickly he turns them around and doesn't answer them, then he will make some stupid statements not related to what you asked him and then claim you are the one avoiding them. It's a circle jerk for sure. I've just stopped addressing him directly since I get a better response from a blank wall.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:48 am
@camlok,
Quote:
And you swallowed it, hook, line and sinker, from the New York Times

What the hell are you going on about? Baldimo was talking about the lack of attention paid to the woman's progressive activism on social media. I told him that it was mentioned in the NYT.
Quote:
the rag that supported the Bush lies, the rag that has supported myriad US illegal actions, war crimes, terrorism, ... .

I seem to recall many editorials and opinion pieces critical of Bush's wars. As I said before, move out of the echo chamber section and look around. There's plenty of information which allows you to come to your own conclusions.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 10:53 am
@Baldimo,
By my reading, The Barbary pirates or Corsairs, were eliminated as a threat in 1830 during the French conquest of Algiers. Long before Samuel Clemens' time. (As if Clemens would have been a hater of Muslims in the first place) You should have read the wiki link you posted.
Baldimo

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:02 am
@snood,
Blatham hates the US just as much as JTT/camlok does.
camlok

Wed 7 Jun, 2017 11:09 am
@Baldimo,
That is a lie, Baldimo, at least as regards me. I have said many times that I do not hate the US, I hate the centuries long evil that the US has done and then hidden with a remarkable propaganda scheme, hidden it from you too.

From what I have read of blatham, he doesn't hate the US either. And if he does, well then, he sure has tricked a lot of Americans, who support him and what he says.

This all illustrates that you are using one of the oldest propaganda memes of the USA - hit the person with "America hater" and other such nonsense. It allows you to avoid discussing the facts, the truth, the history.

What's Meme #2, Baldimo?
0 Replies