monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:46 pm
@blatham,
The guardian has a more in depth piece. I was sort of confused reading it because it seemed to have talked about two different subjects. One involving Russian hacking into US voting system and another about an arrest of someone who stole classified information to give to an online news outlet and was arrested today I think.

Russian agents hacked voting system manufacturer before election: report

snood

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:55 pm
@McGentrix,
Would you name some news sources you consider reputable and reliable?
gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:59 pm
@snood,
Reliable news sources:

Drudge, Brietbart, Alex Jones, Paul Watson, LPAC, RT, Hannity....
Lash

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:01 pm
@McGentrix,
Greenwald and Scahill both alluded to it still being a claim with no produced evidence, but the had to report the claim.

PS- When people say "Russia" did something... who the hell is "Russia"?
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:37 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
What about someone like Clare Booth Luce?
She's an individual I haven't bumped into much in my reading. There are, of course, lots of people who've made appearances on this particular stage but I wouldn't count her as one with the sort of influence on the present as those others I mentioned.

But a side note - there was an issue of Life that came out around 1965 which had a piece on LSD (Henry and Clare both experimented with it) and that piece encouraged me to give it a go as well. No past life recall, no acute synethesia, but I sure did have a lot of fun.
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:39 pm
@revelette1,
Yes, there were two different stories. A young female subcontractor was charged with leaking to (apparently) The Intercept.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:44 pm
Today's entry in our long-running "Draining The Swamp! - Uh, Just Kidding" series
Quote:
Steven Bradbury, a former George W. Bush administration official who authored legal memos authorizing "enhanced interrogation techniques" that have been regarded as torture, has been nominated to be General Counsel of Transportation.
Politico
layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course there are millions and millions of decent Muslims throughout the world and it truly is unfortunate for them that they get tarred by the brush deserved by a significant minority that are horrendous human beings.

The same is true as respects any group that can be seen to contain a minority of extremists, much like American conservatives.

Folks who object to generalizing about Muslims because of the actions of a relative few should keep this in mind when they launch into the same behavior relative to any group of people for whom they don't feel an affinity.

Maybe you aint heard, eh, Finn. 2 out of every 3 London muslims said they would NOT report an muslim who was planning a terrorist attack to the authorities.

2 out of 3 refused to condemn violence against everybody who "disses" Allah.
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:51 pm
A quality POTUS and his quality campaign and their quality information sources and links
Quote:
Donald Trump's re-election campaign sent a message to supporters over the weekend, referring them to information published by InfoWars, a fringe conspiracy-theory website.
Steve Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:55 pm
More on Sinclair
Quote:
...Over the weekend, however, many Americans watched their local news and saw a new on-air segment called “Bottom Line with Boris,” featuring the former Trump aide with a combative reputation. The two-minute segment featured Epshteyn criticizing the White House press corps.

And why, pray tell, was this former White House official making his debut as a pundit? After his departure from Trump World, Epshteyn was apparently hired by Sinclair Broadcasting as a commentator.

The segment was a reminder that reports like this one from the Washington Post a month ago was probably more important than widely recognized.

Quote:
Donald Trump the businessman prided himself on making winning business deals. Now, Donald Trump the president appears to be a winner in a deal he didn’t even negotiate.

The Sinclair Broadcast Group, already the nation’s largest owner of local television stations, is adding 42 more in a $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media. The result could be slightly friendlier coverage for the president in the nation’s largest media markets, as well as in cities such as Cleveland, Greensboro, N.C., and Des Moines that represent key centers in battleground states

Vox added soon after, “Sinclair Broadcast Group — a conservative, Trump-friendly television empire — is poised to become one of the most powerful players in the mainstream media. The relatively unknown company, whose stations have mixed conservative commentary with local news, is now on the verge of a deal that would allow it to reach nearly three-quarters of American households.”

Sinclair’s name may sound familiar to longtime readers. When the Bush/Cheney White House created pre-packaged “news” segments, created by the administration to serve as taxpayer-funded propaganda, the Federal Communications Commission accused stations owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group as being among the biggest offenders, airing segments without disclosing to the public where they came from.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:02 pm
An absolute must-read from Jane Mayer
Quote:
If there was any lingering doubt that a tiny clique of fossil-fuel barons has captured America’s energy and environmental policies, it was dispelled last week, when the Trump Administration withdrew from the Paris climate accord. Surveys showed that a majority of Americans in literally every state wanted to remain within the agreement, and news reports established that the heads of many of the country’s most successful and iconic Fortune 100 companies, from Disney to General Electric, did, too. Voters and big business were arrayed against leaving the climate agreement. Yet despite the majority’s sentiment, a tiny—and until recently, almost faceless—minority somehow prevailed.

How this happened is no longer a secret. The answer, as the New York Times reported, on Sunday, is “a story of big political money.” It is, perhaps, the most astounding example of influence-buying in modern American political history

As the climate scientist Michael Mann put it to me in my book “Dark Money,” when attempting to explain why the Republican Party has moved in the opposite direction from virtually the rest of the world, “We are talking about a direct challenge to the most powerful industry that has ever existed on the face of the Earth. There’s no depth to which they’re unwilling to sink to challenge anything threatening their interests.” For most of the world’s population, the costs of inaction on climate change far outweigh that of action. But for the fossil-fuel industry, he said, “It’s like the switch from whale oil in the nineteenth century. They’re fighting to maintain the status quo, no matter how dumb.”.
NYer
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:07 pm
@layman,
Quote:
“There are a lot of Muslim strongholds in the U.K. from London and Luton to Birmingham, Burnley and Blackburn,” added the intel source. “Right now, through weak policies, we have allowed the fundamentalists to spoil it for the majority.”

"Weak policies" is a product of polite British understatement, eh? "Muslim strongholds" were granted many years ago by forbidding police from even entering many muslim-controlled territories.

Quote:
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." (Winston Churchill)

These fat-ass crocodiles are ready to eat, eh?
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:10 pm
@layman,
Maybe you don't have the foggiest notion of what a source is. You are as bad as Finn, oralloy, McG, baldimo, guijohn, ... .

Maybe you ain't heard, layman, Americans have been avidly supporting US war crimes, terrorism and genocides for well over 2 centuries. When one honest US helicopter pilot tried to stop a US troop slaughter of innocents he was denigrated and reviled.

You yourself advocate and pump for murder regularly and here you are, the even worse than the typical hypocritical American pointing fingers.

giujohn

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Greenwald and Scahill both alluded to it still being a claim with no produced evidence, but the had to report the claim.

PS- When people say "Russia" did something... who the hell is "Russia"?

Stop asking intelligent questions...you're gonna get a reputation.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:13 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course there are millions and millions of decent Muslims throughout the world and it truly is unfortunate for them that they get tarred by the brush deserved by a significant minority that are horrendous human beings.

The same is true as respects any group that can be seen to contain a minority of extremists, much like American conservatives.

Folks who object to generalizing about Muslims because of the actions of a relative few should keep this in mind when they launch into the same behavior relative to any group of people for whom they don't feel an affinity.

Maybe you aint heard, eh, Finn. 2 out of every 3 London muslims said they would NOT report an muslim who was planning a terrorist attack to the authorities.

2 out of 3 refused to condemn violence against everybody who "disses" Allah.

I'm telling ya...it's time for internment camps. Round em up...head em up... move em out...
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:16 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

You yourself advocate and pump for murder regularly and here you are, the even worse than the typical hypocritical American pointing fingers.

If me and my homeys were armed with assault rifles and had 100 ISIS pervs cornered, we wouldn't even shoot them.

We would beat them senseless with the rifles butts, then decapitate them, douse them with gasoline and burn them alive--**** like that, but much worse, actually.
giujohn

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:24 pm
One deep stater down...how many more to follow?

Did they really think they could act with impunity for ever?

Silly left over lefties...I say throw the ******* key away!

And this one is a real "Winner".

NATIONAL SECURITY

NSA contractor accused of leaking top secret report on Russian hacking efforts

By Samuel Chamberlain Published June 05, 2017 Fox News

FILE - In this June 6, 2013 file photo, the sign outside the National Security Agency (NSA) campus in Fort Meade, Md. on Friday, April 28, 2017, The NSA said it will no longer collect certain communications moving on the internet for simply mentioning a foreign intelligence target, in a move applauded by privacy advocates. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)
FILE - In this June 6, 2013 file photo, the sign outside the National Security Agency (NSA) campus in Fort Meade, Md. on Friday, April 28, 2017, The NSA said it will no longer collect certain communications moving on the internet for simply mentioning a foreign intelligence target, in a move applauded by privacy advocates.
(The Associated Press)
A federal contractor was arrested over the weekend and accused of leaking a classified report containing "Top Secret level" information on Russian hacking efforts during the 2016 presidential election.

Reality Leigh Winner, 25, appeared in U.S. District Court in Augusta, Ga., to face one charge of removing classified material from a government facility and mailing it to a news outlet, the Justice Department said Monday.

Winner's arrest was announced shortly after the Intercept website published a story detailing how Russian hackers attacked at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent so-called "spear-phishing" emails to more than 100 local election officials at the end of October or beginning of November.

The Justice Department did not specify that Winner was being charged in connection with the Intercept's report. However, the site noted that the National Security Agency (NSA) report cited in its story was dated May 5 of this year. An affidavit supporting Winner's arrest also said that the report was dated "on or about" May 5.

The Intercept contacted the NSA and the national intelligence director's office about the document and both agencies asked that it not be published. U.S. intelligence officials then asked The Intercept to redact certain sections. The Intercept said some material was withheld at U.S. intelligence agencies' request because it wasn't "clearly in the public interest."

The report said Russian military intelligence "executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016 evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions, according to information that became available in April 2017."

The hackers are believed to have then used data from that operation to create a new email account to launch a spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations, the document said. "Lastly, the actors send test emails to two non-existent accounts ostensibly associated with absentee balloting, presumably with the purpose of creating those accounts to mimic legitimate services."
The document did not name any state.
The information in the leaked document seems to go further than the U.S. intelligence agencies' January assessment of the hacking that occurred.

The Washington Examiner reported that Winner worked for Pluribus International Corporation and was assigned to a U.S. government facility in Georgia. She had held a top-secret classified security clearance since being hired this past February. The affidavit sworn by FBI agent Justin Garrick said that she had previously served in the Air Force and held a top-secret security clearance.

Late Monday, Wikileaks founder Julian Assange tweeted his support for Winner.

Winner's attorney, Titus Thomas Nichols, declined to confirm whether she is accused of leaking the NSA report received by The Intercept. He also declined to name the federal agency for which Winner worked.

"My client has no (criminal) history, so it's not as if she has a pattern of having done anything like this before," Nichols told the Associated Press in a phone interview Monday. "She is a very good person. All this craziness has happened all of a sudden."

Garrick said in his affidavit that the government was notified of the leaked report by the news outlet that received it. He said the agency that housed the report determined only six employees had made physical copies. Winner was one of them. Garrick said investigators found Winner had exchanged email with the news outlet using her work computer.

Garrick's affidavit said he interviewed Winner at her home Saturday and she "admitted intentionally identifying and printing the classified intelligence reporting at issue" and mailing it to the news outlet.

Asked if Winner had confessed, Nichols said, "If there is a confession, the government has not shown it to me."

House Oversight Committee Chairman Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, praised the arrest in an appearance on Fox News' "The Story with Martha MacCallum."

"When you have classified information, you cannot put that out there just because you think it would be a good idea," Chaffetz said. "I want people in handcuffs and I want to see people behind bars."

Chaffetz also criticized federal agencies for failing to protect sensitive information after a series of high-profile leaks.

"They have hundreds of thousands of people that have security clearances," Chaffetz said. "There are supposed to be safeguards in there ... But how many times do we have to see this story happen? They obviously don’t have the safeguards."

The Associated Press contributed to this report
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:25 pm
@layman,
Quote:
If me and my homeys were armed with assault rifles and had 100 ISIS pervs cornered, we wouldn't even shoot them.

We would beat them senseless with the rifles butts, then decapitate them, douse them with gasoline and burn them alive--**** like that, but much worse, actually.

I'm not at all surprised. True blue Americans always act in the barbaric fashion you describe.

Thanks for the graphic illustration. A My Lai a week, even two or three, America, rah rah rah!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:51 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Would you name some news sources you consider reputable and reliable?

No, I doubt the " a highly classified National Security Agency report " part. If it got out, it probably wasn't actually a highly classified National Security Agency report.
McGentrix

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:52 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Reliable news sources:

Drudge, Hannity....

Well, I trust 2 of those anyways.
0 Replies