monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:18 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
oralloy wrote:
snood wrote:
Aren't there some things that are either yea or nay? For instance, either single payer healthcare systems have been good for the countries that have them, or they haven't?

They are certainly no better than those systems that use a marketplace instead of socialized insurance.

Again, with the oralloy uniformed opinion.

Wrong on both counts. My statement there was a fact.

And I know more about international health systems than you know about everything in the universe.

camlok wrote:
People who know a wee bit about this, people who don't rely on sound bites from wacky right wing sites for their information, disagree with your badly misinformed notion.

All people who know about this subject say that I am well informed and completely correct in every respect.

Quote:
We propose a national health program that would (1) fully cover everyone under a single, comprehensive public insurance program;

I propose that we use a market-based approach that is more in line with American values.

Since the Left likes pretending that such systems are "single payer" when they happen in other countries, they have my permission to pretend that an American market-based system is "single payer" as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Single payer systems, (oh shut up Oralloy,that's what they're called)

Actually no. All the countries that don't use single payer systems, don't call their systems single payer.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:30 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
Listen to these USA doctors explode all the myths that you folks cling to.

Listen to those doctors yourself, JTT.

They say that I am completely right in every respect.

Quote:
Is national health insurance ‘socialized medicine’?

No. Socialized medicine is a system in which doctors and hospitals work for and draw salaries from the government. Doctors in the Veterans Administration and the Armed Services are paid this way. The health systems in Great Britain and Spain are other examples.

Gasp!

You mean there are health care systems out there other than the single payer model?

Whoever would have thought such a thing?

Quote:
But in most European countries, Canada, Australia and Japan they have socialized health insurance, not socialized medicine. The government pays for care that is delivered in the private (mostly not-for-profit) sector. This is similar to how Medicare works in this country. Doctors are in private practice and are paid on a fee-for-service basis from government funds. The government does not own or manage medical practices or hospitals.

You will note that I referred to single payer as socialized insurance. That is the very same term that these doctors use to describe it in your paragraph here.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:44 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy says:
Quote:

They are certainly no better than those systems that use a marketplace instead of socialized insurance.

Thay'e not even playing in the same ballpark, oralloy. Single payer systems cost less, usually around half per capita of marketplaces systems, by which I assume you mean the US system prObamacare. They insure everyone. public health metrics are better than the USa; doctor-patient ratios are better.Personal bankruptcies due to uncovered catstrophic medical costs don't occur. Life expectancies are greater. We lose oin pretty much every measure except cost, and it costs us WAY more for not as good outcomes..
layman

Sun 4 Jun, 2017 11:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are obsessed with the notion that a sinister cabal of "conservative" villains are trying to destroy the world. It's comical.

A laugh a minute, sho nuff!
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 12:06 am
The Limeys are finally wising up just a wee bit, eh? Whooda thunk?:

Quote:
London terror attack: British officials eye burka ban and stripping citizenship

British Prime Minister Theresa May, speaking Sunday after a meeting of the government’s COBRA emergency committee, claimed there was “too much tolerance” of Islamist extremism in the U.K. and insisted that the country’s counterterrorism strategy would be reviewed.

The points of focus include: recruiting and deploying even more counterterrorism officers, and pushing through new laws to “round up” suspected terrorists and, if convicted, stripping them of their citizenship as a deterrent.

“There is also talk that things could go as far as banning the burka,” the source said. Nearby European countries such as France, Austria, Germany and Belgium have, over the years, implemented different degrees of legislation to restrict the wearing of full-face veils.

“There are a lot of Muslim strongholds in the U.K. from London and Luton to Birmingham, Burnley and Blackburn,” added the intel source. “Right now, through weak policies, we have allowed the fundamentalists to spoil it for the majority.”

Authorities announced Sunday that raids were under way and that 12 individuals had been arrested in connection with the latest attacks. Saturday’s assault marks the third to have taken place in the U.K. in 2017 alone.

If they don't act fast, London will be the new ISIS caliphate capitol once Trump mashes their sorry ass in the middle east.

Is it possible that human life is finally taking precedence over political correctness in England?
layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 12:17 am
CNN aint makin no pretense about their hatred for the Donald, eh?

Quote:
CNN Host: Trump 'A Piece of ****' for His Response to London Attack

Reza Aslan, an Iranian-American religious studies expert who hosts a Sunday program on the network, called Trump a "piece of [expletive]" for saying America must get "tough" on terror.

Ask any muslim, eh? Muslim has to get more MILD on terrorists. They're not the ones to blame for American getting it's just due, ya know?

In a recent poll 2 out of 3 muslims in London said they would NOT inform authorities if they were aware of a terrorist plot. Now that's "assimilation," eh?
layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 12:28 am
@layman,
Quote:
In a recent poll 2 out of 3 muslims in London said they would NOT inform authorities if they were aware of a terrorist plot. Now that's "assimilation," eh?

Here ya go, from the NYT:

Quote:
Poll of British Muslims Reveals Startling Views

A new poll of British Muslims revealed attitudes on homosexuality and terrorism sharply out of step with broader public opinion.

Only about one-third of respondents said they would tell the police if they knew someone who was getting involved with supporting terrorism in Syria. The same proportion refused to condemn people who take part in violence against those who mock the Prophet Muhammad. Almost one quarter said they favored replacing the British legal system with Islamic law.

The survey also showed that 88 percent saying they thought London was a good place for Muslims.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/world/europe/poll-british-muslims.html?_r=0

London is a GREAT place for jihadis, sho nuff.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 12:44 am
It aint just young males who participate in terrorist attacks, eh?

Quote:
Twelve people were arrested in counterterrorism raids in the town of Barking east of London, police said on Sunday. Seven women aged between 19 and 60 years of age and five men aged 28 to 55 were arrested.

http://www.dw.com/en/police-arrest-12-in-connection-with-london-terror-attack/a-39110961
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 02:27 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
First of all it appears the tweet is fraudulent.

Why do people post this crap then? How does it serve their argument? It's one thing to make a stupid comment that backfires or is shown to be false but why post a piece of blatantly fake news? And why, on this site, are these stories nearly always submitted by the right?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:16 am
Quote:
Most Americans support government regulation to fight climate change. Including in Pittsburgh. And Youngstown. And Detroit. And Milwaukee. And Cedar Rapids.

http://i.imgur.com/ulyci4A.jpg
Source: WP
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:26 am
http://tpc.pc2.netdna-cdn.com/peoples_resource/image/42622-hillary-my-turn-book-cover-fake.jpg
gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:29 am
http://i.imgur.com/RrXnedU.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:34 am
http://i.imgur.com/dp869HB.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:38 am
http://i.imgur.com/F4ynAEc.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 03:53 am
http://i.imgur.com/sAT8MnX.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 04:45 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
marketplaces systems, by which I assume you mean the US system prObamacare.

No I refer to all the various foreign systems that are quite successful with a marketplace-based system. Switzerland and Singapore for example.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 05:03 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

http://tpc.pc2.netdna-cdn.com/peoples_resource/image/42622-hillary-my-turn-book-cover-fake.jpg

It's hard to believe that "It's Hillary's Turn" was one of their actual slogans! Unbelievable!
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 05:38 am
@Lash,
There was a question put to you twice now. Are you going to respond or not?
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 05:44 am
Here's a column by Jennifer Rubin that deserves to be quoted in full. Rubin is one of too few conservative voices who have retained their principles and their integrity in the face of the Trump presidency. Hat tip to wmwcjr for directing my attention to it.
Quote:
With his London tweets, Trump embarrasses himself — and America — once again
The stoic determination and decency of the British people and their leaders were on full display in the hours after the latest horrific terrorist rampage. The Brits fought back, launching drinking glasses and chairs at the savages who attacked them. The police acted with lightning-fast precision, killing the three assailants within eight minutes of the emergency call. And, God Bless him, a man returned to the bar where he experienced Saturday’s horror — to pay his bill and tip. Civilization is not going to be driven out of Britain by three or three hundred killers.

Meanwhile — and it pains me to write this — our president acted like a clod, a heartless and dull-witted thug in sending out a series of tweets. He — commander in chief and leader of the Free World — first retweeted an unverified, unofficial Drudge headline about the unfolding terrorist attack. Then he aimed to bolster his Muslim travel ban (which is not supposed to be a Muslim travel ban). “We need to be smart, vigilant and tough,” he tweeted. “We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!” (Aside from the inappropriateness of President Trump’s tweet, he fails to grasp that the courts in these cases are reaffirming our rights against an overreaching, discriminatory edict.)

After receiving blowback for that obnoxious missive, he tweeted out, “Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!” But then he decided to slam the mayor of the city attacked, who had calmly warned his fellow Londoners: “Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There’s no reason to be alarmed.” Trump took the second part out of context and responded viciously, “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!'” (The mayor, of course, was telling them not to be alarmed by the heightened police presence.) Trump was not done, however, inanely tweeting, “Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That’s because they used knives and a truck!”

One is prompted to ask if he is off his rocker. But this is vintage Trump — impulsive and cruel, without an ounce of class or human decency. His behavior no longer surprises us, but it should offend and disturb us, first, that he remains the face and voice of America in the world and, second, that his fans hoot and holler, seeing this as inconsequential or acceptable conduct. We wound up with this president because millions of Republicans could not prioritize character, decency and overall fitness to serve over their mundane and frankly petty partisan wish list (28 percent top marginal tax rate!). Self-appointed religious leaders fail to see that this soullessness — not the dreaded liberal elite who insist on saying “Happy Holidays” or refuse to countenance discrimination against gay customers — is a threat to the moral fiber of a democracy that requires a modicum of common sense and human decency to function.

Sure, Trump’s policies and rhetoric are incoherent and based on a tower of lies. Far worse, however, is his appalling character, which accelerates the erosion of democratic norms and social cohesion a diverse democracy requires. In instances like this, those who would lecture us on President Obama’s under-appreciation of America’s unique place in human history or proclaim that they simply had to vote for Trump because Hillary Clinton was some sort of monster are exposed as fools or hypocrites or both.

The London attacks bring out the best in Britain and in Western leaders on the European continent; it brings out the worst in Trump and his followers. The former protect the soul of Western civilization; the latter drive a stake through the animating ideas that make America special.
WP