monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 05:48 am
@blatham,
So, you ignore my points about the Democrat party and its corruption, the DNC lawsuit, and Hillary's pathetic Victim Tour. You sidestep the crushing indictment of her own Wikileaked emails, but now, I should briskly step up to the carpet and satisfy some question from you?

LOL.

That's not how things work in the real world.

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 06:13 am
@Lash,
I have had you on ignore since the first few days of posting here because you don't do discussion with integrity. Your comment claiming that one person controlled most media in the US was quoted by someone else. I was and still am very curious as to what on earth was in your noggin and how it got there. It is, after all, a factual or empirical question. But as I have you on ignore, I doubt you'd find any compelling reason to speak to me.
Lash

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 06:42 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But as I have you on ignore, I doubt you'd find any compelling reason to speak to me.

It's not because you have me on ignore. I have you on ignore as well, as meaningful as both of those statements are...

The reason I'm not compelled to speak to you is you are one of the most agenda-driven, close-minded posters here.

You used to love Chomsky. Who changed- you or him? Don't bother answering. Everybody knows.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 06:59 am
Some of you may have read that the NYT has decided to drop their Public Editor post and function. I think this is a really unfortunate decision for the reasons that Dara Lind of Fox lays out HERE.

As Lind notes, the one person who has done this function very valuably for the Times was Margaret Sullivan before she moved over to the Washington Post as Media Columnist. She's super smart and I try to catch anything she writes. Here's today's piece from her:
Quote:
Ever since taking office, President Trump has been condemning leaks, leakers and the journalists they leak to.

“I’ve actually called the Justice Department to look into the leaks,” Trump said in February. “Those are criminal leaks.”

Only days after he took office — as we know from a leak — Trump asked then FBI-director James B. Comey to consider jailing journalists who publish government secrets.

And just a few days ago, Trump again ranted about leakers who “should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

So, I think we understand the president’s position — except that he’s in favor of leaks that damage his political opponents. Recall his campaign cry: “I love WikiLeaks!”

Paul Steiger stakes out the opposite position. The revered former managing editor of the Wall Street Journal (and founder of ProPublica, the investigative nonprofit) put it this way:

“It is not the publishing of these secrets that threatens national security. Publishing these secrets threatens the secret-keepers. It protects the public interest by letting us know what powerful people are doing when they think no one is looking.”

Accepting a journalism award, Steiger summed it up: “We need more journalists revealing more secrets, not fewer.”

He’s right...
Read More Here
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:04 am
Hey, look! A real progressive!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2017/05/12/corbyn-vows-to-end-uk-arms-sales-to-saudi-arabia/amp/

Corbyn vows to stop arming Saudi Arabia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:12 am
Lewis Lukens, the USA's chargé d'affaires ad interim in London, has distanced himself from Donald Trump’s criticism of Sadiq Khan following the latest terrorist attack by praising the Mayor's "strong leadership".

http://i.imgur.com/LKrgnAK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5icI4y6.jpg
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Imagine how tough it would be as a responsible civil servant working abroad under this incompetent and malevolent clown version of a leader.
oralloy

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Meanwhile -- and it pains me to write this -- our president acted like a clod, a heartless and dull-witted thug in sending out a series of tweets. He -- commander in chief and leader of the Free World -- first retweeted an unverified, unofficial Drudge headline about the unfolding terrorist attack.

He tweeted a headline from Drudge?!?!?

Oh the horror of it all!!!!!

Good grief. Can the Left please try to get a grip.

Quote:
Then he aimed to bolster his Muslim travel ban (which is not supposed to be a Muslim travel ban). "We need to be smart, vigilant and tough," he tweeted. "We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!" (Aside from the inappropriateness of President Trump's tweet, he fails to grasp that the courts in these cases are reaffirming our rights against an overreaching, discriminatory edict.)

The reason the American people elected Trump and didn't elect some Democrat, is because Trump is trying to protect us from the terrorists whereas the Democrats want to help the terrorists kill us.

Good for Trump. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:22 am
From Andrew Sullivan
Quote:
The gnawingly persistent question in the Trump years so far is a relatively simple one: Is this reparable? By which I mean: Can Trump’s admixture of malevolence, corruption, and incompetence be survived without permanent damage? Is this a minor heart attack from which this democracy and the world can soon recover … or is it a major one whose consequences are, in some respects, permanent?

The truth is: We don’t yet know (although Trump’s withdrawal from the Paris climate accord is beyond depressing). Can we at some point reconstruct a common set of facts after such a shameless torrent of lies and fantasies from the very top? Can some minimal level of decency and dignity be returned to the White House and to our public discourse? Is there any viable synthesis to be struck between the two Americas divided by a widening gyre of mutual incomprehension? The long run suggests all of this is possible, if currently hard to envision. Time heals. America survived the 1860s and the 1960s. But there’s one thing about today’s political darkness that will be close to impossible to undo.

And that’s the very concept of a united, democratic West...
NYMag
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:51 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
And a consequence of the progressive ideological extremism will be the chokehold of government directed bureaucratic oversight and control of every aspect of our lives.
This could be a quote from a John Birch tract.

"control of every aspect of our lives". Like whether your daughter or granddaughter unable to marry another woman? Or have access to abortion or to have her birth control needs covered in her medical plan? Or you grandson being tossed into the clink for choosing a joint over a bottle of scotch? Or your community, in majoritarian consensus, being unable to pass local firearms ordinances they deem necessary? Etc.

Once again, you simply ignore that real world fact that the most free and prosperous nations in the world operate with governmental structures which you insist must axiomatically be described as without liberty and destined to failure. That is nutty. It's John Birch nutty (which is high on the nutty scale).

And as I've pointed out before, your ideological dream (not much different from Norquist's) has no exemplar nation which can offer evidence of workability, either in prosperity, actual liberty, enviable health and welfare of citizens, and relative citizen contentment.

That was rather feeble. You outlined your own imagined conservative ideal end state implying that it would soon result from the supposedly conspiratorial expansion of Sinclair's local TV & radio system (ignoring the obvious fact that most highly liberal media enterprises are far larger and reach far more people), and I, in an obvious effort to demonstrate the illogic of your gambit reciprocated with a progressive version of the same foolishness.

I'm well aware of the political structures of the major nations in the world and of many of their advantages and shortcomings. I didn't ignore anything - expect perhaps a few of your superficial and sweeping generalizations. Modern nation states each have their own histories, cultures and values. The differences among them, even neighboring states sharing a common language, such as the U.S. and Canada, can be substantial. The choices they make for themselves are their affair, as are the choices we make in this country.
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 07:52 am
So, Trump stages a "Pittsburgh, Not Paris" rally on Saturday. How many showed up?
Quote:
BuzzFeed, which published some pictures from the rally, wrote that “dozens of Trump supporters” gathered for the event. The Washington Post similarly reported that “dozens” showed up to applaud the president’s decision to withdraw from the international agreement.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Quote:
Postscript: The Washington Post’s report added, “More than a thousand people gathered near the Washington Monument Saturday to rally at the March for Truth, calling for an independent investigation into alleged collusion between Russia and President Trump’s 2016 campaign.”
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:03 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You outlined your own imagined conservative ideal end state implying that it would soon result from the supposedly conspiratorial expansion of Sinclair's local TV & radio system
Not at all what I said or implied. You really do need to do this discussion thing with more care for honesty/accuracy, george.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:12 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Theresa May has said Donald Trump was “wrong” to criticise Sadiq Khan over his handling of the London Bridge attacks, and praised the London Mayor who, she said, had been "doing a good job."

At a speech in London, The Prime Minister was asked several times whether President Trump had been right to criticise the Mayor, avoiding the question on each occasion. Eventually, asked if there was “anything Donald Trump could say” which she would be prepared to criticise, Mr May replied: “I have been critical of Donald Trump before. I don’t think he should have pulled out of the climate agreement.

"I think Sadiq Khan is doing a good job and it’s wrong to say anything else - he’s doing a good job."
Source
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes. As Andrew Sullivan wrote (posted above) we don't know how much permanent damage this sociopath is going to do to America and how permanent it will be. But the damage he's doing to America's standing in the world is easily evident already. Because it is not just Trump. What sort of a country, what sort of a culture could advance and continue to support this man?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:27 am
I touched on this before but it needs a spotlight.

After the attack in London, Trump's first communication via Twitter was to retweet an item from the Drudge Report.

This guy has the biggest and surely one of the most capable intelligence networks on the planet and he gets his initial data from Drudge and then repeats it. Then he went to play golf.

A phrase like "amateur hour" here is insufficient. This is like a drunk plumber picking up a scalpel to do brain surgery.
snood

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:45 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I touched on this before but it needs a spotlight.

After the attack in London, Trump's first communication via Twitter was to retweet an item from the Drudge Report.

This guy has the biggest and surely one of the most capable intelligence networks on the planet and he gets his initial data from Drudge and then repeats it. Then he went to play golf.

A phrase like "amateur hour" here is insufficient. This is like a drunk plumber picking up a scalpel to do brain surgery.

Yes, and I read someone here say that they understand misgivings and unease about Trump's competence or ideology, but not fear of Trump. Well, to me Trump is like a child with a gun. Dangerous and ignorant. And scary.
blatham

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:50 am
@snood,
Quote:
Trump is like a child with a gun. Dangerous and ignorant. And scary.
Yes. And not just any child. A child with real problems. And then there's the continuing support from a species of modern American human that scares me much more.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:52 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
First of all it appears the tweet is fraudulent.

Why do people post this crap then? How does it serve their argument? It's one thing to make a stupid comment that backfires or is shown to be false but why post a piece of blatantly fake news? And why, on this site, are these stories nearly always submitted by the right?

Perhaps they were themselves taken in by the hoax. To the extent that fraudulent stories and such are posted here it is by certain individuals rather than any "faction"

In this case it was me who questioned the authenticity and McGentrix who confirmed it was a fake. Does the right on A2K now deserve credit?
Walter Hinteler

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 08:58 am
Quote:
Donald Trump is repeating his criticism of Sadiq Khan, after London underwent a terror attack.

“At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack,” the president wrote on his Twitter account soon after the attack, “and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’”

He then repeated that criticism in even stronger terms.

"Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement," he wrote. "MSM is working hard to sell it!"

But Mr Trump's criticism is based on a quotation entirely removed from its context. He appears to be confused about what happened in part because Fox News repeated the same short quote but without the full remarks from the mayor of London.

What Mr Khan actually said was that there is no reason to be alarmed about the increased police presence on the streets after the attack.

“My message to Londoners and visitors to our great city is to be calm and vigilant today," Mr Khan said. "You will see an increased police presence today, including armed officers and uniformed officers.

"There is no reason to be alarmed by this. We are the safest global city in the world. You saw last night as a consequence of our planning, our preparation, the rehearsals that take place, the swift response from the emergency services tackling the terrorists and also helping the injured.”
SourceIt's perhaps just of the differences between American English and English?
camlok

Mon 5 Jun, 2017 09:00 am
@blatham,
Quote:
You really do need to do this discussion thing with more care for honesty/accuracy, george.

Duuhhhhh.
0 Replies