monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm sure glad that Trump is back in the good ole USA. Now he can get on with his real job, eh? To wit: Kickin media ass.
gungasnake

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,

That does not answer my question. Are you claiming that William Tell could've been thrown in prison for smiling at somebody?
gungasnake

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:16 am
@layman,
And draining the swamp.... Let's hope that the age of American children being hauled off to perverted Democrat pizza palaces to be sacrificed to pagan gods and goddesses will shortly be over.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:19 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Are you claiming that William Tell could've been thrown in prison for smiling at somebody?
Well, there's nothing about such in the Sachsenspiegel.
On the other hand, Wilhelm Tell is just a folk hero in a legend.
blatham

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:25 am
@glitterbag,
Some musician hippy friends turned me on to Newman's album Sail Away in '72. One of them had been down in LA doing studio work and playing with the Electric Prunes and he came back with a great store of knowledge on the music scene of that time. Newman has been a hero of mine ever since for his songs and his arrangements (he did the orchestral score for Peggy Lee's Is That All There Is? in the late 60s when he was in his twenties). Sail Away and Rednecks (and subsequent work) all demonstrate how incredibly clear-sighted and honest he was about (as you put it) the underbelly of American racism and also the delusions of a particular sort of American myth. There were few artists as bravely honest as Newman. I love the guy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, there's nothing about such in the Sachsenspiegel.
I meant Schwabenspiegel, sorry.
The Sachsenspiegel had of course rules regarding libel. (I would think, the Schwabenspiegel as well, but I never studied it intensively.)
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Perhaps had had to much covfete?

One fellow on twitter suggested that as Trump was tweeting, an anxious and prudent aide pulled the phone out of his hands.
Olivier5

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:44 am
@gungasnake,
Just because you don't like Stalin doesn't mean that no Russians likes Stalin. In my personal experience of the ex-USSR, many are found of him, the big man stature, the fatherly figure, etc. Like Putin...
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 31 May, 2017 01:12 am
Take a look at this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBGoir0XgAI9ivJ.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 01:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
One fellow on twitter suggested that as Trump was tweeting, an anxious and prudent aide pulled the phone out of his hands.
I like Merriam-Webster's response:
http://i.imgur.com/z04vCfm.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 31 May, 2017 02:30 am
More dodgy practices from Wotsit Hitler.

Quote:
It may not be the most dramatic scandal facing Donald Trump this week, but the US president has been accused of branding his US commercial properties with a stolen coat of arms.
Mr Trump's heraldic crest is a near-identical copy of one registered in 1939 by Joseph Edward Davies, the New York Times reported. The copy, printed on everything from golf carts to socks, made a single small change: where the original said "Integritas", now it says "Trump".
Davies was an American diplomat and husband to Marjorie Merriweather Post, who built the Mar-a-Lago resort that now belongs to the president, and where presumably he first saw the coat of arms. The similarity was spotted by Davies' grandson, former US senator Joseph Tydings, on a visit to the resort. He told the Times he had not given permission to the Trump Organization to use the crest.
It drew the attention of heraldic officials in Scotland when Mr Trump attempted to brand a new golf course in Aberdeen with the adulterated crest. They noticed that he hadn't registered it with the Court of the Lord Lyon, which approves all applications for arms and has authority to litigate against anyone using a design improperly.
An application to trademark the crest with the College of Arms, the authority for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, was rejected after the college noted that the design had been lifted from an existing crest. The motto, changed by the Trump organisation, does not technically form part of the design, making the two identical in the eyes of the authorities.
"We would never allow this as a new coat of arms," said John Petrie, Rouge Croix Pursuivant of Arms at the college. "There needs to be at least two lineal differences from something that's been granted in the past."
The fact that Mr Trump had changed the colours of the crest to black and gold was not considered sufficient, Mr Petrie said.
Coats of arms date to the 12th Century, where they were first worn on battle shields. The crests were adopted by members of the royal family and spread among the wider nobility, granted by the monarch to a male member of the family and passed down the male line.
Nowadays, if you consider yourself to be part of an eminent family or institution, you can make your case to the College of Arms. Your status, and any design ideas you submit, will be reviewed and if approved, you will be granted a letters patent by the most senior herald, the Kings of Arms.
Design remains a matter of taste, however. Modern day symbols of wealth "would not be appropriate", said Mr Petrie. "A design for a coat of arms needs to be suitable, tasteful, and timeless," he said. "Modern day apparel and equipment may not look very good in 50 or 100 years."
There has been some modernisation in design over the years, Mr Petrie said. "We can include a little more than would have been allowed in the past, including natural flowers, some national symbols or different animals that might not have been known before."
It is illegal in the UK to assume another family's coat of arms, but someone doing so in England, Wales or Northern Ireland is unlikely to feel the long arm of the law. London's High Court of Chivalry - the special court dedicated to the task - last sat in 1954.
But in Scotland, where Mr Trump used the borrowed design on promotional materials for his golf course, he could still have faced legal action. Mr Tydings told the Times he had talked his family out of taking legal action. "I just told the other members of my family that you can't win on this," he said. "You'll borrow for two generations to sue him."
In the end, after a challenge by the Court of the Lord Lyon, the Trump Organization altered the design it had taken from Mr Davies and was granted its own Scottish patent. Here's how a Trump spokeswoman described the new crest:
"Three chevronels are used to denote the sky, sand dunes and sea - the essential components of the [golf resort] site - and the double-sided eagle represents the dual nature and nationality of Trump's heritage."
She added: "The eagle clutches golf balls, making reference to the great game of golf, and the motto 'Numquam Concedere' is Latin for 'Never Give Up' - Trump's philosophy."
But in the US, where the heraldic laws are less stringent, Mr Trump simply trademarked the Davies family crest and plastered it across golf resorts, hotels and assorted merchandise. In Britain it would not be the done thing, said Mr Petrie.
"It's certainly not proper to use the arms of another family," he said. "In this country it is always considered preferable to petition for your own."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40097665
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 31 May, 2017 03:26 am
Quote:
One word was close to breaking the internet on Wednesday morning: "covfefe".
It was an apparent typo in a tweet by US President Donald Trump, and internet users have been mocking him mercilessly.
"Despite the constant negative press covfefe," he tweeted just after midnight, Washington time.
And he then appears to have gone to bed, without finishing his thought or correcting his mistake.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/FE72/production/_96283156_donald.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40104063
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 31 May, 2017 03:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Perhaps had had to much covfete?
http://i.imgur.com/h8pfJrr.jpg

He meant "coverage".
layman

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:01 am
Three CNN guests say that a staged decapitation of Trump by a CNN employee is insignificant and that anyone who would object is just a crybaby.

"I have a hard time bringing myself to care about something like this. I think it just speaks to the need to see themselves as the victim...that they, the Trump people, are constantly being persecuted."

Sounds like CNN, sho nuff.

This wouldn't even be a story on CNN if it was Hillary Clinton's head. They wouldn't care enough to even mention it.
hightor

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
On the other hand, Wilhelm Tell is just a folk hero in a legend.

From now on, every action I take will be prefaced by consideration of the question, "What would William Tell do?"
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:31 am
Ross Douthat on the "Manchurian Presidency":

Quote:
In the film “The Manchurian Candidate” — the true and only John Frankenheimer version, not the misbegotten remake — an international operation conspires to place a Communist agent in the White House. The mechanism is complicated, involving brainwashing, fake heroism and an assassination scheme, but the core conceit has a distinctive genius: The agent of influence the Communists intend to raise to the presidency is basically a Joseph McCarthy figure — a right-wing politician named Johnny Iselin who rants about Red infiltrators even as he’s actually being manipulated himself, by a Machiavellian wife who takes her orders from Moscow or Beijing.

Sadly for this newspaper’s web traffic, this will not be a column about the mounting evidence linking Melania Trump to Kremlin handlers, the timeline that proves that she’s been running her husband as a Russian agent since the 1990s or the deep Cold War-era connections between her Slovenian circle and the K.G.B.

Instead, I want to talk about the striking contrast between Donald Trump’s strange Russian romance and the way that the Communists in Frankenheimer’s movie went about their America-subverting scheme.

In “The Manchurian Candidate,” the whole point of the story is that the plot is secret, designed so that its intended outcome is the last thing that Americans expect. They’re being duped into voting for a man who they think is the most hawkish of Russia hawks, when all the while he’s being maneuvered into betraying America to the Comintern.

In Trump’s campaign for the presidency, by contrast, the Russian romance was not only out in the open, it was a deliberate selling point, which the candidate himself consistently brought up and emphasized and touted. Any American voter who paid attention knew that Trump was a Russia dove, that he intended to seek a détente with Moscow, that he wanted to make some sort of Great Deal with Vladimir Putin and inaugurate a new era of great power cooperation. He won the Republican primary on that position. He won the Electoral College on that position. The public had every reason to understand that he was unusually pro-Russia, and in the necessary numbers they voted for him anyway.

But the fact remains that Trump told us, over and over again, that he liked the idea of improving relations with Russia — an idea, as it happens, that this man of few consistent ideas has held consistently since the armaggedon-haunted 1980s. He was forthright, not deceptive. He did not act like a man with a dark secret, a man for whom Russia was a dangerous subject to be avoided at all costs, a man with an interest in turning the public’s attention away from anything related to the Kremlin. He was happy to talk about Putin, happy to wear his Russophilic intentions on his sleeve.

This does not make it impossible to believe, as an increasing number of Trump critics do these days, that Trump’s inner circle was actually colluding with Russian intelligence during this period — or that Trump himself, for reasons financial or personal, was really a Russian asset of some sort. Our president is sufficiently undisciplined and self-sabotaging, sufficiently incapable of normal self-interested self-control, that you cannot dismiss the possibility that his public rhetoric on Russia was effectively a weird sort of advertisement for crimes or blackmail being perpetrated behind the scenes.

But because so much about Trump is abnormal, there’s a risk in always leaping over more normal explanations even when the fact pattern still points their way. And the Trump-Russia fact pattern is still quite consistent with what you might call an abnormal kind of normal — a Trumpian variation on a foreign-policy tendency that our two most recent presidents have exhibited as well.

By this I mean that it is not exactly unheard-of for presidential candidates to sport intimate ties, personal and financial, to foreign powers whose values are considerably different from our own. Nor is it exactly unheard-of for presidential candidates to imagine that their particular experience of the world, their personal connections and experiences and sympathies, can serve as the basis for a revolution in United States foreign policy.

In the first case I’m thinking of George W. Bush’s distinctive ties to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a longstanding American ally that is also an ideological hub for Islamist terrorism and a regime whose style of theocratic authoritarianism actually merits “Handmaid’s Tale” comparisons.

In the second case I’m thinking of Barack Obama’s distinctive links to Islamic cultures, both African and Southeast Asian, which clearly informed his hope (and the hope of some of his supporters) that his mere election might radically change America’s image in the Muslim world and enable a broader shift in how Washington approached that region’s governments and people.

Trump is seamier, cruder and more temperamentally authoritarian than Bush and Obama, and his Russian romance lacks the establishment pedigree of the Bush-Saudi connections and the cosmopolitan idealism of Obama’s wooing of the Muslim world.

But his team’s dalliances with Russian oligarchs and his inner circle’s dumb attempts to set up a secret line to Putin could still just turn out to be a seamier, cruder, more stumblebum version of the Bush-Saudi links that set Michael Moore and Craig Unger ablaze in the Bush years, or the attempts to woo Tehran and tame the Muslim Brotherhood that persuaded anti-Obama paranoiacs that he was an agent of Shariah.

The whole Russia affair might, in other words, just be what it looks like when an inexperienced, incompetent and, yes, sordid presidential apparatus tries to pursue a different foreign policy agenda than its predecessors.

Which would not make that agenda wise. The Russian threat is currently inflated: A post-Communist Russia will always be a troublesome rival, but it need not be an eternal enemy, and if our presidents can maintain alliances and forge deals with dictators in Riyadh and Tehran, they can also make deals with the strongman in Moscow. But Trump pretty clearly lacks the gifts required for that kind of deal making, and instead he’s much more likely to be a mark for the Russians, who can use his desire for a kind of super-reset to sow divisions in NATO without offering much of substance in return.

So in a strategic sense I am content to have Trump’s desire for détente balked by leaks, probes and the resistance of his military advisers.

But his critics should also recognize that all those leaks and all that institutional resistance are also precisely the reasons a neophyte like Jared Kushner might have imagined that the bureaucracy should simply be bypassed, and his father-in-law allowed to hammer out his imagined bargain with Putin man to man.

Again, it might be more sinister than this, and if the investigations turn up the evidence of actual collusion or bribery or blackmail that liberals increasingly expect to find — well, let’s just say the Trump era has made me immune to all surprise.

But for the time being, the anti-Trump world has its own paranoias that need to be kept at bay. Follow the evidence, by all means. But keep in mind that the evidence we have is still perfectly compatible with a presidential candidate and his advisers who made a foreign policy promise in the clear light of democratic debate and set out to keep it with all the wisdom, imagination and experience at their disposal — which is to say, alas, not much.

NYT
0 Replies

snood

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:36 am
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18813239_760960737406003_7369066215597120312_n.jpg?oh=f9b300613ee96fab2f9ab2ddf167390f&oe=59A7FECE
izzythepush

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:47 am
@snood,
That was quick.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 31 May, 2017 04:57 am
@snood,
Give the poor guy a break, eh? Trump, who never drank alcohol before, got thirsty on a hot day at the golf course, and drank a beer, which was the only thing around.

He found out he liked beer and guzzled 29 of them before getting home to do his tweets. Then he passed out, hitting his head on his keyboard in the process. So he misspelled one word. It aint no federal crime, or nuthin, eh?
oralloy

Wed 31 May, 2017 05:38 am
@layman,
We need to get Melania moved into the White House so Trump has something to do in bed besides post tweets.