monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Tue 30 May, 2017 09:47 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Precisely how are the Republicans working so hard to obstruct investigations into the Russian's attempts to manipulate the 2016 election?

House Republicans blocked a vote Wednesday on legislation to create an independent commission to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 election.
USAToday

Oh please. If the Democrats thought such a commission was the way to go, why did they relentlessly demand an independent prosecutor?

Blocking the Democrats from starting yet another witch hunt does not count as blocking any of the many existing ones.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:08 pm
Swiss cheese of the rotten variety, eh?

Quote:
Swiss Man Convicted of Defamation for ‘Liking’ Posts on Facebook

The unnamed 45-year-old defendant, who lives in Zurich, used the social network’s feature to approve of a string of posts attacking an animal rights activist.

It is believed to be the first time a social media user has been punished for just liking something – an ambiguous act whose meaning is difficult to define precisely.

As previously reported by Heat Street, the posts accused Erwin Kessler – the leader of Swiss vegan group Vereins gegen Tierfabriken – of being a racist, an anti-Semite and a neo-Nazi.

He was reportedly challenged to either prove that the claims in the article were true, or that there was good reason to take the claims seriously.

The man could do neither, so was convicted of defamation, which could be followed with a fine.
https://heatst.com/world/swiss-man-convicted-of-defamation-for-liking-posts-on-facebook/

If every cheese-eater on A2K who called, let alone liked others calling, others neo-nazi racists were fined each time, they would all be plumb broke, eh?
oralloy

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:33 pm

I can't find any reference to the "Obama aided Islamic State" story on the Judicial Watch website.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/
http://www.judicialwatch.org/press-room/

These ones seem noteworthy though:

Why is the House Ethics Committee selectively investigating a Republican lawmaker for publicly commenting on classified material while two Democrats who committed similar acts go unscathed?

It appears that a respected veteran national security analyst tapped by the White House to work on the National Security Council (NSC) was abruptly stripped of his top-secret clearance for partisan political purposes.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I couldn't feel comfortable accusing others of hysterical criticism of every single word and deed of someone the sake of partisanship alone if I did the same myself.

I had intended to ask you about his sentence before, Finn, but ended up forgetting about it.

Where does this come from? You don't do that. I don't do that, although I'm sure I have (deservingly) accused others of doing it. Did you somehow interpret me relaying information contained is State Dept. documents, as 'hysterical criticism of every single word and deed of someone the sake of partisanship alone?"
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:37 pm
A contemporary tale by one of my favorite columnists, Kelly Dessaint of the San Francisco Examiner. He has a blog too, I think called I Drive SF.

I hope he won't mind if I just post the column I read today. He drives a taxi in San Francisco, posts a column maybe once a week, has a wife and new baby at home. I add it here because it is Trump related, and sorta relevant.

I DRIVE SF
Tuesday May 30, 2017
By Kelly Dessaint on May 26, 2017 1:00 am

I try not to take it personally, but it’s been over a week since my last Flywheel order. Even though I log in to the app at the start of each shift religiously and stay “available” the whole time, except when I already have a passenger or if I’m unable to accept orders, the Android phone attached to the vent next hasn’t chirped in so long I almost forget it’s there.

So after dropping off my first fare of the day in Cow Hollow and tapping the Flywheel app to go online, I’m not only shocked to get an immediate ride request for Beach and Cervantes, but one with a $9 guaranteed tip! I quickly hit “accept” and head toward the part of the Marina that looks like it was designed by a drunken cartographer.

When I pull up, an older gentleman is outside waiting for me.

“Market and Jones,” he says curtly.

“No problem,” I say, hitting the meter. “By the way, thanks for the $9 tip.”

“That’s to make sure you fuckers show up!” he snaps.

I respond with an audible gulp.

“What route you planning to take?” he demands.

“Uhhhhh…”

Before my scrambled brains can conjure up a detailed trajectory, he gives me directions:

“Take Van Ness to Broadway, right on Larkin, left on Washington and then Hyde to Golden Gate.”

“Sounds good,” I say cheerfully.

“No offense, kid,” he says. “I’ve lived in San Francisco 45 years. I can get around better than most cabbies.”

“That’s a long time,” I remark absently, turning left onto Lombard.

“I moved to San Francisco in 1963. From Sicily. Wasn’t much older than you when I got here. Hardly a dollar in my pocket. Took any job that paid, though, until I’d saved up enough money to buy my first apartment building on Haight Street.”

“How much did apartment buildings go for back then?” I ask, merging into the turn lane at Broadway. It still feels like he’s yelling at me but at least the codger is talkative, which makes the ride go faster, despite the traffic.

“$40,000,” he says. “The old lady who owned it before me lost it to the bank because she was renting to a bunch of deadbeats who never paid their rent.”

“******* hippies.” I laugh.

“After I signed the papers, I went down there and said, ‘I’m the new owner.’ And these long-haired dopers just went, ‘Far out, man.’ I told them I’d be back in a week for the rent. Of course when I returned, no one had any money. So I offered them a deal. Said, ‘If you can’t afford the rent, there’s a cheaper unit that just opened up in the basement. Under six feet of concrete.’ Said, ‘If I don’t get my money, I’ll have you fitted for Sicilian neckties.’ If you know what I mean.”

“They paid up, right?”

“What do you think?”

I can’t tell if this guy is full of **** or not — his deadpan delivery is too cryptic for a joke — but laugh anyway.

Bada bing, bada boom.

“Look at this goddamn traffic!” he shouts.

As we descend Nob Hill, there’s nothing but the usual sea of brake lights ahead.

“Better take Bush to Jones,” he commands, then goes on to tell me that once his tenants started paying rent, he was able to buy another building. Then another. And another. He kept buying rundown Victorians in the Haight and Western Addition, along with old hotels in the Tenderloin, until he’d acquired over 50 properties in The City.

“I like buildings nobody else wants. While others may see a piece of **** rathole, I see dollar signs.”

Just as I’m about to ask him if he’s looking to adopt an heir, he makes a racist comment about some black kids standing outside a corner store.

Whoa!

“That’s what happens when you have someone like Obama in the White House for eight years.”

Someone like Obama?

“Worst president in history!”

Ack! Pfft!

“Thankfully, we got Trump now.”

I cut off a discombobulated Lyft driver in the right lane.

“Let’s just hope he gets rid of all these damn foreigners and kicks all the deadbeats off welfare. I’m sick of my taxes going to these lowlifes.”

At Turk, I see an opening in the congestion and take it, pulling over right before Market. “So, uh … Thanks for the tip.”

“I appreciate the ride, kid. If you ever have a passenger in need of an inexpensive hotel, bring them by. But only if they have money. We don’t want any deadbeats here.”

Kelly Dessaint is a San Francisco taxi driver. His zine, “Behind the Wheel,” is available at bookstores throughout The City. Write to Kelly at [email protected] or visit his blog at www.idrivesf.com.

glitterbag

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:37 pm
@blatham,
Randy Neumann had a song called Rednecks, I think from the Good ol Boys cd. It starts:

Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show
With a smart ass New York Jew
Jew laughed at Lester Maddox
Audience laughed at Lester Maddox too
Well, he may be a fool, but he's our fool
If you think you're better than him you're wrong
So I went to the Park and took some paper along
And that's when I made this song.....'.piano notes'

Then it launches into:

We're Rednecks, we're rednecks
We don't know our ass from a hole in the ground.....

That's just the way it starts, we bought that initially on a cassette tape while we we're visiting my mother-in-law in Raleigh. It was released in 1974 but we had never heard about until tthe early or mid 80's, and Mr g'bags brother in New Orleans had recommended it. The only way I can explain the bigoted remarks is by saying that as despicable as bigotry and rasicm was and still is, when you visit 80 year plus folks in the mid-80's you were going to hear others referred to with a casual racism that cut like a knife. In my view Randy Newman callled attention to that ugly underbelly of white people resentment.....and at first the song was a shock, so much of a shock it made us laugh. We couldn't believe he had written such a tune, but it wasn't about celebrating bigotry, it was an acknowledgement that far too many people though and spoke that way and far too many others were hypocrites.

Many folks here might not remember Lester Maddox, but he had extreme views on race and religion. He had recently been elected as governor of georgia and was interviewed on the old Dick Cavitt show and became so incensed by Cavitt he stormed off the stage in an epic hissy fit. I don't think Cavitt is Jewish, but the show was in New York and it probably was just poetic license. Or something like that.

So, Trump might be a drooling fool, but he's their drooling fool.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:39 pm
@layman,
In Switzerland, defamation, slander and insult constitute a criminal act under Articles 173-1, 174, 175, 176 and 177 of the Swiss Penal Code.

Zürich District Court' decision ( GG160246 from 29.05.2017, a suspended fee) still can be appealed at the canton's supreme court.
ossobucotemp

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Sorry, I forgot the actual link - http://www.sfexaminer.com/no-time-deadbeats-town/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:51 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Swiss cheese of the rotten variety, eh?

Quote:
Swiss Man Convicted of Defamation for ‘Liking’ Posts on Facebook

Somehow or other, I would've thought that Switzerland would be immune to that kind of bullshit. Like Americans although to a somewhat lesser degree, the Swiss people are armed and the control freaks can only count on them to absorb so much bullshit before bad things start to happen on account of it. The story of William Tell serves as a kind of an example.
McGentrix

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:52 pm
The guy that gets it today goes to Kurt Schlichter who knows all about whataboutism.

Quote:
We all know it was wrong for Greg Gianforte to beat up Ben Jacobs. But we also know the general attitude of the media is that when we conservatives get beat-up by leftists it’s perfectly excusable – even laudable – and thanks to the fact that Twitter is forever, we now know that Ben Jacobs himself specifically thinks it’s A-OK to slug conservative kids. So can someone tell me why anyone should be shocked that we conservatives refuse to devote one iota of caring to poor Ben’s wedgie?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:56 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
Somehow or other, I would've thought that Switzerland would be immune to that kind of bullshit.
Actually, under the old Swiss criminal code, it would have prison and not a fee - the conservatives and right-wing Swiss parties want to re-chance this and get back to the former statutes.
ossobucotemp

Tue 30 May, 2017 10:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I saw that. Hmmm.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Love him, and well, I would.

When I first moved to Venice (Los Angeles Venice), I rented first a room to work in, and later a couple of rooms, and moved there. The owners were arty, and now I can almost remember their names. I liked them, business guys with sense. My cousin's husband built me a loft... and so my new less pedestrian life started. I got used to things like screamers screaming, gradually. That was in the alley, while meantime swish restaurants were slowly beginning to show up. My point is that one night the roof over my head got fairly porous, and I think it was someone from the Newman family that came to my place in the middle of the night to help, did help.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:30 pm
Everyone knows that giving "sanctuary" to alien criminals is the only morally righteous path to follow, right?

Quote:
Suffolk County Prosecutors Helped Boston Slayer Avoid Deportation after 2 Crimes

After committing two crimes state prosecutors agreed to reduced charges against the African immigrant who recently murdered two Massachusetts doctors, allowing him to dodge deportation. This crucial information is being ignored by the mainstream media but a Boston newspaper exposed it this week and it’s especially alarming because it appears to be part of a movement by local officials nationwide to help illegal immigrants avoid removal.

In the recent massacre, an immigrant from Guinea-Bissau, on the west coast of Africa, slashed the throats of two local doctors, 49-year-old Richard Field and 38-year-old Lina Bolaños, inside the south Boston condo they shared. The walls were covered in blood and the assailant, Bampumim Teixeira, wrote a message of retribution on the wall.

The local newspaper that broke the story got ahold of an audio recording of the hearing in which Teixeira’s attorney and a state prosecutor presented a joint motion to reduce the charges against him. At that point, Teixeira had been charged with two counts of unarmed robbery and the backdoor deal let him get off easy with a charge of larceny from a person.

Last summer the African immigrant was arrested for robbing a Boston bank that he also admitted robbing back in 2014. Under federal law legal U.S. residents can be deported if they commit an aggravated felony with a prison term of at least 12 months. Under the deal, Suffolk County prosecutors cut with Teixeira, he got a 364-day sentence, which was a day short. “The prosecution and defense also recommended Teixeira serve 364 days in jail — nine months to serve, credit for 78 days already served, and the balance suspended for three years.

It appears to be part of a broad effort by local prosecutors around the country to shield illegal immigrants who commit crimes from federal authorities. Judicial Watch’s report just a few weeks ago focused on new policies implemented by the Brooklyn, New York District Attorney’s office and the Baltimore, Maryland State Attorney’s office. Both local prosecutors issued orders directing lawyers in their office to think twice before charging illegal immigrants with crimes because it could get them deported.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2017/05/suffolk-county-prosecutors-helped-boston-slayer-avoid-deportation-2-crimes/

Much better to have people butchered than to have a habitual criminal from Africa (gasp!!) DEPORTED, eh?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
gungasnake wrote:
Somehow or other, I would've thought that Switzerland would be immune to that kind of bullshit.
Actually, under the old Swiss criminal code, it would have prison and not a fee - the conservatives and right-wing Swiss parties want to re-chance this and get back to the former statutes.

In other words, you want US to believe that under some previous Swiss criminal code presumably going back at least as far as William Tell, Swiss citizens could have been thrown in prison for LIKING a Facebook post, and that this would have been viewed as normal in a country in which citizens are required to keep firearms in their houses by law and custom??????

Do you have any kind of marketing rights to whatever kind of reefer you're smoking?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:38 pm
I mean, the 19th, 18th, 17th, 16th, and 15th century equivalent of LIKING a Facebook post would've been smiling at somebody.

Are you (Hinkey) claiming that William Tell could've been thrown in prison for smiling at somebody?
layman

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:41 pm
Quote:
. Both local prosecutors issued orders directing lawyers in their office to think twice before charging illegal immigrants with crimes because it could get them deported.

Can anyone make sense of that? They should file charges just to make sure these criminals ARE deported, you'd think, wouldn't ya? Good riddance.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:44 pm
@gungasnake,
Are you aware of the 14th century legal code in the Everlasting League resp. countries under Habsburg rule? (It would be the Schwabenspiegel ["mirror of the Swabians"])
blatham

Tue 30 May, 2017 11:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Now there's an utterly despicable human.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 31 May, 2017 12:01 am
@blatham,
Perhaps had had to much covfete?

http://i.imgur.com/h8pfJrr.jpg