monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Sun 28 May, 2017 11:46 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” (Winston Churchill)

One of the mayn things, Churchill never said or wrote.
Quote:
• “The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

No attribution. Though he sometimes despaired of democracy’s slowness to act for its preservation, Churchill had a more positive attitude towards the average voter.
Source
Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 May, 2017 12:30 am
@layman,
Well, you quoted it, so must know the whens and wheres about it. And that even better than the Churchill Society.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 29 May, 2017 01:09 am
@layman,
OK, as long as we're doing Winston Churchill quotes on democracy, I'll see your quotes and raise you "Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 29 May, 2017 02:04 am
Quote:
North Korea has fired a short-range ballistic missile, the third apparently successful test in as many weeks.
The Scud flew about 450km (280 miles) before landing in Japanese waters, prompting Japan to lodge a protest.
Observers say the tests indicate the North is making progress towards missiles capable of carrying warheads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40081209
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 May, 2017 06:02 am
@gungasnake,
http://i.imgur.com/Bf7jfqF.jpg
jcboy

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Germany's Chancellor has a doctorate in physics. We have Trump. Cool

http://i64.tinypic.com/ta3k44.jpg
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 29 May, 2017 08:49 am
@layman,
Quote:
Not that it even matters. It's been said. Decide for yourself if there's merit to the claim.

It's just like all your wacky claims. There's no merit in any of them, something you have illustrated in spades.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:05 am
Quote:
Ivanka Trump HQ‏Verified account
@IvankaTrumpHQ

Make champagne popsicles this #MemorialDay:

0 Replies

camlok

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
Perhaps if your government, or folks like you, had anything resembling a backbone, they might suggest to the USA that it stop its 75 years of terrorism and threats of nuclear annihilation against the people of Korea.

But they are too interested in picking up the scraps the US throws them after invading another country to steal their wealth.

Who was it, Izzy, that brought nuclear weapons into the Korean peninsula in direct violation of the armistice agreement?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:19 am
I was in hospital for few days. Heart attack. Blockage. Angioplasty. Stent. Recovering. Doing well.

What do you think about Trump's self-proclaimed "home run" on his first foreign trip? Are we proud of our guy and his frequent displays of ignorance and immature schmuckiness?

blatham

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:32 am
@Debra Law,
Quote:
I was in hospital for few days. Heart attack. Blockage. Angioplasty. Stent. Recovering. Doing well.
Happened to me a dozen years ago (with the additional fun of coronary arrest after arrival at hospital). Gotta love these new procedures.

Quote:
What do you think about Trump's self-proclaimed "home run" on his first foreign trip?
Fake News
camlok

Mon 29 May, 2017 09:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
More tripe from Finn dAbuzz.

Quote:
Or even before that, when he campaigned on getting freeloading NATO members to honor their defense spending commitments?

It's difficult for some to tell the Mafia that they don't want to be involved in their war crimes, their terrorism, their constant world turmoil.

But you soldier on in your deep delusion, Finn.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:13 am
Debra Law wrote:
Quote:
Are we proud of our guy and his frequent displays of ignorance and immature schmuckiness?

This made me think of a blog post I read by a pastor here in NC named John Pavlovitz. It has to do with white people saying they finally have a president they can be proud of - in Trump. I'd be most interested in getting people's reactions after reading it.

I remember the day after the Election, a friend of mine who happens to be white, remarked on social media that he “finally wasn’t embarrassed of America and our President.”
I sprained my eyes rolling them and they have never fully recovered.
Since then I’ve heard this sentiment echoed by more white folks than I can count, especially in recent months; supposed relief at once again having a leader who instills pride.
Since I don’t have the time to ask each of the individually, I’ll ask here:
So, you were embarrassed for the past 8 years, huh?
Really?
What exactly were you embarrassed by?

Were you embarrassed by his lone and enduring twenty-five year marriage to a strong woman he’s never ceased to publicly praise, respect, or cherish?
Were you embarrassed by the way he lovingly and sweetly parented and protected his daughters?
Were you embarrassed by his Columbia University degree in Political Science or his graduating magna cum laude from Harvard Law School?
Maybe you were embarrassed by his white American and Black Kenyan parents, or the diversity he was raised in as normal?
Were you embarrassed by his eloquence, his quick wit, his easy humor, his seeming comfort meeting with both world leaders and street cleaners; by his bright smile or his sense of empathy or his steadiness—perhaps by his lack of personal scandals or verbal gaffes or impulsive tirades?

No. Of course you weren’t.

Honestly, I don’t believe you were ever embarrassed. That word implies an association that brings ridicule, one that makes you ashamed by association, and if that’s something you claim to have experienced over the past eight years by having Barack Obama representing you in the world—I’m going to suggest you rethink your word choice.

You weren’t “embarrassed” by Barack Obama.
You were threatened by him.
You were offended by him.
You were challenged by him.
You were enraged by him.

But I don’t believe it had anything to do with his resume or his experience or his character or his conduct in office—because you seem fully proud right now to be associated with a three-time married, serial adulterer and confessed predator; a man whose election and business dealings and relationships are riddled with controversy and malfeasance. You’re perfectly fine being represented by a bullying, obnoxious, genitalia-grabbing, Tweet-ranting, Prime Minister-shoving charlatan who’s managed to offended all our allies in a few short months. And you’re okay with him putting on religious faith like a rented, dusty, ill-fitting tuxedo and immediately tossing it in the garbage when he’s finished with it.

None of that you’re embarrassed of? I wonder how that works.
Actually, I’m afraid I have an idea. I hope I’m wrong.
Listen, you’re perfectly within your rights to have disagreed with Barack Obama’s policies or to have taken issue with his tactics. No one’s claiming he was a flawless politician or a perfect human being. But somehow I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about here. I think the thing President Obama did that really upset you, white friend—was having a complexion that was far darker than you were ever comfortable with. I think the President we have now feels much better.

Because objectively speaking, if what’s happening in our country right now doesn’t cause you great shame and doesn’t induce the continual meeting of your palm to your face—I don’t believe embarrassment is ever something you struggle with.

No, if you claimed to be “embarrassed” by Barack Obama but you’re not embarrassed by Donald Trump—I’m going to strongly suggest it was largely a pigmentation issue.

And as an American and a Christian committed to diversity and equality and to the liberty at the heart of this nation—that, embarrasses me.

camlok

Mon 29 May, 2017 10:25 am
@snood,
Quote:
Were you embarrassed by his lone and enduring twenty-five year marriage to a strong woman he’s never ceased to publicly praise, respect, or cherish?
Were you embarrassed by the way he lovingly and sweetly parented and protected his daughters?

I think John Pavlovitz is in the wrong business, Snood.

Were you embarrassed at how he continued the war crimes started by Bush et al?

Were you embarrassed by his drone strikes that murdered children whose parents "lovingly and sweetly parented and protected" them?

Were you embarrassed by his own war crimes/terrorism in Ukraine, Syria, Libya, ...?

Were you embarrassed that a Black man who should have a grasp of suffering and oppression waltzed into the office of president and carried on with US war crimes/terrorism as business as usual?

Quote:
"Because objectively speaking, if what’s happening in our country right now doesn’t cause you great shame and doesn’t induce the continual meeting of your palm to your face—I don’t believe embarrassment is ever something you struggle with."

Good point. One you might want to consider, Snood. You might also consider 'shame".

0 Replies