monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:39 pm
@gungasnake,
They aren't crying so much that Clinton lost, gunga, as they are that Trump won.
layman

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:40 pm
I know there has already been a brief post addressing this incident, but here's an "update" for purposes of commentary:

Quote:
2 ‘Heroes’ Stabbed To Death Standing Up To Muslim Hate In Portland

Two men are being hailed as heroes after they were killed while trying to stop a man from abusing two young women on a train in Portland, Oregon, because they appeared to be Muslim.

Witnesses said at least one of the women the suspect targeted was wearing a hijab, and it appeared the abuse was religiously and racially motivated. “He said, ‘Get off the bus, and get out of the country because you don’t pay taxes here,’” Evelin Hernandez, a passenger on the train, told KATU-TV.

Of course this guy is a nut, just as wack as the muslims engaging in terrorism all over the world.

But he did NOT attack any muslims (although he was verbally abusing them). Nor was there any indication that he "intended" to physically attack them.

Apparently he resented the fact that someone attempted to stop his ranting.

The men he killed were (presumably) non-muslims who interceded on behalf of the women in question. They are indeed "heroes," who stood up for law and american values, putting themselves at risk in the process.

I wonder if we'll ever see a muslim "interecede" (by ratting out a terrorist from his local mosque, for example) on behalf of a non-muslim, eh? To my knowledge, it's never happened yet, and CAIR and others advise muslims to REFUSE to talk to police.
camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:44 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Of this guy is a nut, just as wack as the muslims engaging in terrorism all over the world.

You are severely fact challenged, layman, a regular alternate fact guy.

The US is far and away the world's leader in terrorism around the world.
gungasnake

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:46 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I simply find his resorting to physical force (even in the circumstances you've described) as objectionable. I'm sure there was another way to deal with the problem.

Bear spray...

0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:47 pm
@camlok,
There crying because they are crybabies and that's what crybabies do....
layman

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think the reporter will be considered to have trespassed, but we'll see.

Ya don't? That's kinda strange. I grant you that the circumstances would be entirely different if this incident had occurred in a public setting, such as a press conference, but..... Care to make a response to the question I asked in this post?:

https://able2know.org/topic/388573-1#post-6431655

0 Replies

Builder

Sat 27 May, 2017 03:55 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
The US is far and away the world's leader in terrorism around the world.

Trump addressing the other NATO leaders about paying their share.

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitics/videos/1568889536475864/

I wonder how they divvy up the spoils of their invasions.

Looks like he's not in the loop, by the reactions of these people.
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 04:14 pm
@gungasnake,
Alternate facts won't get you far, gunga.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 27 May, 2017 05:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
There's very little that is new or original beyond the specific details in the divide of attitudes you encountered during your London visit. They are a common element of human behavior during unsettled times, and history is replete with it.

The extended rivalries of Guelfs and Ghibellines in the 13th and 14th centuries in Northern Italy ( regarding the political rivalries of Popes and Emperors) ; the whites and reds in the Wars of the Roses in 15th century England (involving the political rivalries of the contending houses of York and Lancaster) come immediately to mind. The same thing could be observed during the extended clashes among the Triumvirs (Caesar, Pompey & Crassus) in the transition of Rome from Republic to Empire.

Analogous lasting divides occurred in the United States over slavery during and after the Civil War; in Russia following the 1917 Revolution; in France after the revolution and in the 19th century Habsburg Empire. Each divided communities and even families along the contending political lines. In each he various protagonists exhibited strong emotions that seem odd to detached observers, and the struggles all involved all the same prejudgment of the motives of the opposition and projected conspiracy theories that we see so evident in Blatham's fatuous and tedious theorizing about "movement conservatism" in the United States. The only remarkable feature of it is that he somehow appears to think it original and insightful on his part . In fact it is simply the stuff of human conflict over shared issues.

Of course you're right that it's been a constant aspect of human nature over thousands of years, but it seems worse than any other time in my life and I find it depressing. It's not comforting to realize that its most intense periods usually ended in armed conflicts.

The United States has been here three times before. British loyalists were the embittered losers under Washington. The slaveholding South were the embittered losers under Lincoln. Free market conservatives were the embittered losers under FDR. Wacky liberals are the embittered losers under President Trump.

Mainstream America will forget about the losers and fall in line behind Trump after North Korea destroys America's west coast and Trump launches a genocidal nuclear retaliation.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 27 May, 2017 05:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't think the reporter will be considered to have trespassed...
I'm actually very curious about your response to me challenging this statement, Finn.

There's a reason I said it was "kinda strange," and that reason is not trivial, by my thinking.

Do you (or anyone other than arrogant journalists and their cheese-eating homeys) really want to say that a journalist (or, really, anybody for that matter) has the "right" to invade my private property, any time they feel like it?

I mean, as I understand it, that's what "trespass" is about, i.e, the proposition that others don't have that right.

To me the absurdity of such is claim is especially exacerbated by the claim that I don't have the right to stop it. Cheese-eaters often assume that they have the "right" to do whatever they desire, and that you have NO rights, if you don't like it, but....
RABEL222

Sat 27 May, 2017 06:09 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
and looking pretty competitive for 2018.

I hope you are right but I was sure Trump dident have a chance with all his lying bull but he won anyway. I am beginning to believe that instead making citizens prove citizenship they should prove they have an IQ of at least 75.
RABEL222

Sat 27 May, 2017 06:14 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I'll NEVER believe they can't see the piece of crap this administration is.

I think its a matter of being unwilling to admit to just how stupid they have been. No one likes to admit their an ass.
RABEL222

Sat 27 May, 2017 06:26 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I haven't got to that story yet this morning but so long as he doesn't have a private email server, what the hell.

He tried to set one up with the Russians but WikiLeaks beat him to it.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:00 pm
Demopervs try to kill Hannity show over refusal to drop Seth Rich story:

http://conservativetribune.com/running-list-hannity-advertisers/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=patriotupdate&utm_campaign=dailypm&utm_content=libertyalliance
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:10 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Quote:
and looking pretty competitive for 2018.

I hope you are right but I was sure Trump dident have a chance with all his lying bull but he won anyway. I am beginning to believe that instead making citizens prove citizenship they should prove they have an IQ of at least 75.

Room temperature IQ? Yeah we got too many looney liberals voting now...I say up it to 115.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:14 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
I am beginning to believe that instead making citizens prove citizenship they should prove they have an IQ of at least 75.

Great idea. That would eliminate all the non-citizen voters right there.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:25 pm
@layman,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:56 pm
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18768575_1164209447018718_6632424091075200447_o.jpg?oh=88d9be16428ae68d177fdcb61e1c5168&oe=59BCCA48
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 27 May, 2017 08:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

I wonder if we'll ever see a muslim "interecede" (by ratting out a terrorist from his local mosque, for example) on behalf of a non-muslim, eh? To my knowledge, it's never happened yet

Wonder no more.

Local Muslims tried repeatedly to warn the police about the terrorist who murdered so many young people in Manchester this week:

Quote:
Counter Terrorism agencies were facing questions after it emerged Salman Abedi told friends that “being a suicide bomber was okay”, prompting them to call the Government’s anti-terrorism hotline.

Sources suggest that authorities were informed of the danger posed by Abedi on at least five separate occasions in the five years prior to the attack on Monday night. [..]

Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, said: “People in the community expressed concerns about the way this man was behaving and reported it in the right way using the right channels.

“They did not hear anything since.”

Two friends of Abedi also became so worried they separately telephoned the police counter-terrorism hotline five years ago and again last year.

“They had been worried that ‘he was supporting terrorism’ and had expressed the view that ‘being a suicide bomber was ok’,” a source told the BBC.

Akram Ramadan, 49, part of the close-knit Libyan community in south Manchester, said Abedi had been banned from Didsbury Mosque after he had confronted the Imam who was delivering an anti-extremist sermon.

Mr Ramadan said he understood that Abedi had been placed on a “watch list” because the mosque reported him to the authorities for his extremist views.

A well-placed source at Didsbury Mosque confirmed it had contacted the Home Office’s Prevent anti-radicalisation programme as a result.

A US official also briefed that members of Abedi’s own family had contacted British police saying that he was “dangerous”, but again the information does not appear to have been acted upon.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 May, 2017 08:30 pm
@layman,
I don't think it is necessarily trivial and perhaps the newly elected congressman will be able to make the case for trespassing, (I just don't think a court of law will accept it. Obviously I could be wrong but it's not an obvious case of someone coming onto private property without welcome) but it comes down to this...the reporter was, at worst, annoying the hell out of the guy. He may have had a legal right to throw him out on his ass but given the role he wants to play it was, in my opinion, stupid.

Again, I'm sure he could have dealt with the intrusion (if that's what it was) in some way other than physically accosting the twit. I'm not a pacifist and there is a time and place for violent responses but this wasn't one, and I'm not going to change my mind on it.

I don't think beating up an obnoxious fool is funny or cool, nor do I think that Gianforte is to be commended for resorting to violence when it wasn't actually called for.