Abuzz Guilt

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:19 pm
Oh ho! But re-reading was your discussion at one time, and look what it got you into - interpreting Kiplings "Gods of the Copy Book Headings"

Don't you have to love Lightwizard's avatar?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 06:45 am
The E Mail function of Abuzz has been inoperative for over 2 weeks now. In the past, when it was fixed, you would get all the E Mails that you had missed in the interim.

Personally, I think that it won't come on again, it has been so long. I have nightmares though, of one day opening the E Mail account that lists the Abuzz responses, and finding hundreds, maybe thousands of E Mails, thus swamping my E Mail account.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 07:37 am
I, too, am worried about a deluge, particularly since Abuzz has decided that my request for no emails must mean I want an invitation to every dang interaction out there. So the queue of "New Interactions for you" is huge (I finally whittled it down the other day - very, very little was of interest). I expect a deluge, and it makes me cringe, as I have many other things I'd rather be using my email account for.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:32 pm
The E mail invitations weren't as I had set my options and I get sporadic topics that didn't make any sense to me. I've not checked into Abuzz for several days and haven't experienced any withdrawals -- hey Abuzzaholics Anonymous has been inactive for so long, I don't think any of us will have problems withdrawing. Nearly all the people I enjoy interacting with (and probably know my style by now, as Roger pointed out my avatar!) are over here. I also am aware that there are hackers on Abuzz and hope Craven has a good firewall protecting the site. Since I dropped my E mail off of my Abuzz profile and Outlook Express/Hotmail, I rarely get spammed and haven't seen one of the virus E mails for months.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 05:15 pm
I can honestly say, that at this point in time, I am just about ready to pack it in with Abuzz. I am spoiled rotten with Able2Know, and don't have the patience to wait until Abuzz loads.

The funny thing is that I feel guilty about NOT feeling guilty!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 05:28 pm
There's something Frued or Jung in there somewhere, Phoenix.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 05:35 pm
I disabled my account when I was last on Abuzz. That kills all the e-mail. I can still sign in if I want to. The only thing I lose is the automatic logging in if I go to the main page.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:19 pm
I didn't shut-off my email function when I last checked in with Abuzz.
There are still no emails.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 07:56 pm
i'm still there and loving the speed abuzz has picked up lately. no email updates, which is fine, since i haven't used that function other than on the rainforest thread for over a year. I'm wondering why there's been such a surge in 'real' questions lately. are those askme people going to take over abuzz?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 07:58 pm
Oh sure! I leave Abuzz and the speed picks up and people start posting real questions again. ARRGH! Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:24 pm
That's why I hang out at BOTH places. Best of both worlds, ya know? (Yup, ehbeth, I've noticed that too.)
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:41 pm
Could it be Abuzz is faster because we're all over here? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:46 pm
That was precisely my guess last week, misti. as more of the yakkers head this way, the load on abuzz lightens for the questioners. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:11 pm
Hey Craven, How about inviting some of the 'better' old timers on Abuzz like Pueo? c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:12 pm
Misti, Are you sure Abuzz is faster? *Or is that an inside joke? ha, ha, ha.... c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:17 pm
c.i. as to invites you'll have to talk to jespah as she was coordinating this. I also want to point out that of over 3,000 files that comprise this site only the forum ones are 100% functional so it's not really ready.

I ran into some difficulty today so didn't finsih some big work I had slated but I'd say by this weekend this site will be 100% ready. I'd predicted today but ran into some big problems with the mail functions.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:22 pm
c.i., it's faster in some ways, slower in others! Maybe the imposters couldn't find anyone to harrass, so it's speeding up the process.

There isn't/wasn't one "Top Interaction" posted, how about that?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:33 pm
I was there today and didn't notice it being any faster. It still seems to vary from loading one interaction to another of roughly the same number of responses.

If Abuzz is faster cuz we're all over here, why hasn't a2k slowed down?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:46 pm
Abuzz is running Microsoft-IIS 5.0 ServletExec 3.0 on Windows 2000 right now. They seem to switch between Windows and Solaris 8 every few days (boston.com runs on Solaris 8 on BGEP inc so that might be why) and that's an odd setup (odd host too, harvard net also uses linux).

Some big sites on this host have been moved around in the last few weeks and that might have opened up some bandwidth but this can change just as quickly. They are now about 7 days past their average reboot cycle. If i had to guess it's because the BGEP host is taking more of a load. BGEP is a much better host that Abuzz's regular one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 06:03 am
Craven- OH!

Watdahell are you talking about? Shocked

(Just an editorial comment. No need to reply. Laughing )
0 Replies