Abuzz Guilt

quinn1

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:16 am
Whats Abuzz??

<kidding>

This offers me a great opportunity to start fresh and hopefully..no nasty ugly unfriendly people as well

I also however will stay with Abuzz as long as life allows, and it is there just due to how very lovely some of the people are, have been, and how close it has become
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:38 am
Jespah,

I wondered if you were inviting a few at a time. I didn't want to invite, uninvited, so that's why I asked. I hadn't seen any ground rules on this subject, maybe there are some and I haven't found them yet. But thought it might be a good thing to address. And I think it's a very good idea not to invite on Abuzz threads.....it's understandable from their point of view, but also the trolls are loose in Abuzzland. Wouldn't want to stir them up...........I just thought of a few very good contributors to Abuzz in the Philosophy catagory that would be good, responsible newbies here. But I see one of them is already here, and the others may well be on your list to invite. If I don't see the others soon, I'll send you a list and you can do as you think best.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 10:47 am
Thanks for the welcome, jjorge and ehBeth.

So that's why I've had that song in my head all morning!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 11:54 am
I would like to think that trolls will never find this place, but i'd actually be very much surprised if they didn't. However, what makes or breaks a bulletin board such as this is the quality of the moderators--and their involvement. I wish i had the time to be a moderator, but really don't feel i could give such a task the time which it deserves.

I've not the least doubt that CdK & J will put the best of their considerable talents and boundless energies into this site, so there is every good reason to believe that it will prosper.

I hope that abuzzards don't feel guilty about the old site--it never was very well moderated, and now, with no staff, it's not worth the time of day. Many might disagree with me, but i'd say to them that it is the value of the friends they made there that they are judging, and not of the site itself, which deteriorates rapidly.

No guilt on my part, and i hope for the best at this site.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 12:10 pm
Well said, Setanta. (And nice to see ya!)
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 12:30 pm
You are right Setana

I'm not ready to bail out of abuzz yet because of the many wonderful people I would miss. The site is a mess however, because the NYT decided to abandon it and let it slowly starve to death.
I still go to abuzz but it's hard to get through the tidal wave of blather and bombast and it's impossible to avoid the weirdos and bomb-throwers.
Sad.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 12:48 pm
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought here with so many former and erstwhile Abuzzers might be a good place-- It's being reported on Abuzz that Anon Voter was the victim of a hit and run by a drunk driver last night. He's in the trauma unit in SF and they say things look grim. Love him or hate him, you might want to say a prayer for him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 12:50 pm
Oh my God, how awful.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 01:00 pm
I did read about Anon Voter and it is indeed sad news. It's become a war zone on Abuzz of late, worse than ever. The E mail updates are still not working and the Feedback is moot. I've tried to report transgressions to moderators but if they do work, it's like two or three weeks later and
very sporadic. That they wouldn't just simply take the time to fix the software in regard to bogus E mail addresses is indicative of how much they really care. They know what's wrong and the AMEX tie-in isn't taking off at all. I believe this site being run by privately interested persons instead of the usual corporate mentality is the future of interaction sites.
The substance comes first and then the marketing. Isn't that basically what makes a great movie?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 01:12 pm
Indeed blacksmithn! Anon and I surely didn't agree on much but he's a great guy at heart and this is terrible news. I wish him the very best.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 01:34 pm
Really, really sad. I see on the Abuzz thread that MagginKat has been trying to contact Anon's home, but hasn't talked to anyone yet, so still holding out hope that there will be good news...
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 01:56 pm
My first reaction to the news about Anon was skepticism and I thought that someone had really crossed the line, until I read further. Keeping positive thoughts.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 02:17 pm
I'm very sorry to hear about Anon Voter. Maybe we'll yet receive good news. And I would like to add my two cents to Setanta's post and those that follow. Abuzz has been great because of the quality and diversity of the people there. It's painful to watch it deteriorate before our eyes. But I'm very hopeful about this new site. Now that I'm learning how to use it (and as I continue to learn) it has some brilliant features which I appreciate. I'll be a die hard Abuzzer too, but this site is better than Abuzz, not just that it will be better moderated, that too. But also there are more features facilitating a sense of community. I love the chat option and the little alerts that notify me there's a message. Good going Jes and Craven. It's a job well done and much needed.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 06:04 pm
To make it less confusing to some members here, who are also members of abuzz - I began a thread in the General Forum with the topic as "For Those Who Know Anon, Anon Voter - "

That way, when some very distinct topic comes up within a longer-running thread, it won't be passed over by those who just hadn't read this particular thread.

I'm sure there is a way to split or join posts about this, but since I don't know, I thought it best to start a thread with his name in the title...

I feel just sick about this - Anon is a very good man and I would miss his presence greatly. Best hopes and wishes focused towards SF now...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 06:13 pm
I am still holding out some hope that this is (an incredibly depraved) hoax. There are a lot of things that ring false to me about JanGilbert, and nobody has verified anything independently yet. But the false notes could just be coincidence.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:15 pm
Just deactivated my Abuzz account
Smile It's gotten so bad at Abuzz, I thought it a good time to call it quits. Too many juveniles who think they're smart, but contribute nothing but insults and cuss words. The imposter problem has gotten so bad, the Abuzz staff can't seem to keep up with them. I've tried my best to report all inproper posts, personal attacks, and imposters, but Abuzz doesn't seem to be able to do anything about them. It was too frustrating to try to keep up, so I made my last post yesterday. I don't feel too badely, because Abuzz has lost many good old timers during the past few months. Twisted Evil c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 09:22 pm
I know the effort you've made, c.i. It was worth a shot, but every time I look in on it, my previous impression is only reinforced. In any case, I can follow and comment on five discussions here in the time it takes to load a question with four responses over there. Someday, there just won't be time for it, except maybe to answer specific invitations from people I've known awhile, and guess what - most of them are here anyway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:10 pm
roger, There are still a few people I will miss on Abuzz, but I know they'll understand why I left. It's too bad we didn't share email addresses, because I would have enjoyed keeping in touch with some of them. c.i.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:14 pm
As I said in a previous post, I don't intend to leave the sinking ship of Abuzz. I still check my interactions first thing, even before I log onto able2know. But I doubt that the site can last long in its present condition. It IS a sinking ship.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:54 pm
Lightwizard--

Your kind invitation to express myself about re-reading books is a good part of the reason I'm here.

Thank you.
0 Replies