What is life? (a personal view)

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 07:09 pm
This is a little something i wrote the other night. I would greatly appreciate some feedback, i would like people to challenging my opinion or expand on added detail.

Some may find this to be true, “that life is but a dream”. Looking at this, isn’t life just a dream that we as humans consider to be truth. A dream called reality by intelligent minds; although, life may not be as real as we think. Life may not be real in the sense of a physical preponderance of nature, but on a subconscious level, a dream state of memory. A state that is so fixated on grasping, holding onto the physical form, so that other, those being the ones we hold so dear, may recognize and deem it as a state of a pure conscious reality.

chai2

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 08:11 pm
@binman303,
Don't bogart that joint my friend.

binman303

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 08:16 pm
@chai2,
what do you mean?
0 Replies

Linda wang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 02:56 am
@binman303,

Life is pure, every minute, every second is life, the different is that we human define life with our own mind.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 06:52 am
@Linda wang,
life is a road.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:49 am
@farmerman,
Do we get to Rome then ? Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 08:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Nobody goes to Rome anymore, its too crowded.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 09:01 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
<made me laugh>
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 09:17 am
Well, since all roads lead to death, life is a joke, and it's a joke that everyone will tell in their own way, but the punchline remains the same in all cases. You die. The answer to your question, then, is that life is simply death in a clever disguise. Don't be fooled.

Of course, you can ease the impact of this knowledge by applying psychological ploys such as the "is the glass half empty or half full" philosophical question. But when it comes down to it, it all depends on what's in the glass, now doesn't it? More to the point, it all comes down to what's at the bottom of the glass. And what's at the bottom of the glass? That's right, it's death. Now have a nice day.
chai2

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 11:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

life is a road.

I'm where the rubber hits the road.

Like Sargeant Carter said "MOVE IT MOVE IT MOVE IT"
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 06:56 pm
@Glennn,
...and equally one can say that without death life would be a curse...yeah glass half full fits my bill for balanced equilibrium on what life should be about.
0 Replies

Goliathus

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 07:28 am
Everything around you is life you could say and humans are concious life.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 07:48 am
@binman303,
Dream, simulation, video game, etc. Whatever life is, it has a consistent reality that you can take to the bank. i.e. , you can analyze what's going on with the tools of reason and logic.

If you think there is more to it then it behooves you to figure out what lies behind it. Who is the dream master, SysOp, game programmer...
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:50 am
@Leadfoot,
ok ok ok, this is the last grain of wisdom I will impart upon you muggling masses.
listen up.

LIFE IS A SPREAD SHEET
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
I need a really warm one. Getting down near freezing tonight.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 05:44 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Well, since all roads lead to death, life is a joke, and it's a joke that everyone will tell in their own way, but the punchline remains the same in all cases. You die. The answer to your question, then, is that life is simply death in a clever disguise. Don't be fooled.

Is that you Schopenhauer?

Seriously man, lets see..what is a joke? A joke is largely defined as something that is perceived to be a surprise. Something you didn't know and/or realize you knew before. I think there might be something a little more as well..to be a joke, the feeling associated with the surprise has to be at the worst irony, at best elicit the good feelings of laughter..

The other use of joke is that something isn't all its cracked up to be.

So, except for the really dim witted and small children, the former isn't really applicable (and I include the religious here as well just for kicks - even though they think we "keep going" after death.). And the latter is only applicable to those who for whatever reason thought that life was going to be "something different" or perhaps that death was to be "achieved" in a different manner.

So, life really is only a joke (in the latter sense) to those that think about it as a joke. Why? Because for there to be a joke, there has to be a perceiver of that joke via an understanding that life is as you said. However, this is not logically necessary.

There can be a perceiver of life that does not think it is a joke. So what tips the scales over in your favour?

You seem to have based your idea of life being a joke based on the fact that death is at the end. You have a long way to go to show that these two facts are so interrelated so that life is indeed a joke regardless of the frame of mind of the perceiver and gives one perception more weight (or all the weight!) over the other..

Quote:
life is simply death in a clever disguise

I would say life and death are "change". Whether they are the same or not might depend on your point of view. To us humans, they are different. It is unknown outside of our humanity what idea(s) of life and death might present to that unknown mode of being..

I would submit with Cochran that life is a highway and I want to ride it all night long..
vishal1

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:17 am
Life is a journy..
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:38 am
@vishal1,
To where?
chai2

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 08:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
All around the mulberry bush.
Leadfoot