I'm married but still think of my ex daily for 10 yrs...?

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:00 pm
Ten years ago my heart was broken by, what I call, the love of my life. We fell for each other very fast and very hard. And then just like it started, it ended and she moved back to her hometown, I was destroyed. We rarely speak or see each other if we do its at a social event in her city that we always attend and mostly just Hi or a head nod with many looks shared. Around 7 months after the break up I met the girl I eventually married, I love her dearly which leads me to my inner turmoil. I don't go out of my way to think about my ex, it just happens. ALL of the time! Although we were only together 3yrs the relationship had such a profound and powerful effect on me, and that is not an over exaggeration in the slightest. Everything reminds me of her still and I feel like I'm doing some kind of hurtful thing to my wife, although I can't help it. What concerns me is that the constant reminders and memories just make me happy. I love to think about her. She was the greatest time of my life, and the way things are looking it will never change. We haven't talked in 10 years and she is now married, neither of us have kids, but lately I have considered reaching out to her but to see her and talk. Naturally I can't talk to anyone about my little "obsession" about my ex.Is this something that I should seek to see her and get closure? It has been this way for 10 years, and shows no signs of stopping.

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:20 pm
@likeastone,
Yes, you are hurting your wife.

As for this other woman, this is all wrapped up in nostalgia. You have not watched her age, argued with her, or seen her in the morning without makeup and before she's had her coffee. You have idealized her.

Don't contact her. It's over, and it's been over.

You are obsessed. I suggest you talk to a therapist about this or, if you are living in a country where that's just not going to fly, then I suggest finding a way to connect to your wife. Because you are selling her short and being incredibly unfair to her.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:32 pm
@jespah,
While I do agree with Jes about not reaching out to her, I can't see from the information given that he's hurting his wife. He may in the future though, if he hasn't already.

First, reaching out to her isn't going to provide closure, and you know it. All that's going to do is fan the flames on your part, and perhaps lead to doing something that will hurt your wife. She's not reaching out to you in any way, so don't embarrass yourself.

You say you love your wife. Does she feel that you are a good husband to her? Do you do anything that can be connected back to this woman that causes you to treat her differently?

Only you can answer that.

Since you are posting here about this, I'd imagine you are thinking that you're thinking about her too much. If that is the case, then yes, talking to a professional about this would be very useful.
0 Replies