A2K Politics Forum/Where are Our Politically Savvy Women?

PegasusPatt

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:01 am
Nice picture for the point made... Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 10:28 am
PegasusPatt wrote:
... Can I ask if anyone minds if I do in fact start a Political Discussion here? I'm new, & don't want to act ignorant... lol But, the Folks that I've found here, seem like the perfect group of people to discuss some issues that we ALL live through, in, & with... Please let me know, as I do have some realistic issues that some other opinions or input, would probably help my inquiring mind... Wink

Later Tater,
Patt

Just trot yerself over ta POLITCS (actually, I guess you're already there ... this thread is in the Politics Forum Rolling Eyes Embarrassed ), click the http://www.able2know.com/forums/templates/Able2Know/images/lang_english/post.gif button at the top of the index page, or at the top and bottom of every thread page, and have at it. That's the whole idea.

Edit ... as long as you're here already, I just set the "New Topic" button in this post to work ... click it if ya wanna ... that'll work, too.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 12:19 pm
Patt

I am new here too, just came here a few days ago. I voted on the question of women and politics and I noticed that 36% said, "Waddaya mean? I am always participating on the political threads!" so maybe more women are interested in politics than meets the eye.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2004 06:20 pm
Women yet remain second class citizens in political machinations and positions of power, true. But that's a general truth, and subject to many contrary examples (rather like the 'truth' that teenage drivers are more dangerous than other drivers.)

The claim that such individuals are 'crippled' is clearly not true in very many examples, so it's probably not a helpful way to think about this subject. Here in Canada, at both federal and provincial level, there are female politicians with as much zest and fortitude as any of the men around them. And that holds true, even more so, as we descend down to the local (parks boards, school boards, city governance, etc).

And I think it would be a big mistake to disregard the NGO organizations in any discussion of modern political influence. These organizations tend to be very female-friendly. The Council of Canadians is one of our most influential NGO political activist organizations, and the person who is probably the key figure within that organization, is a woman (Maude Barlow) who moved out of the party machinery some years ago upon realizing that she probably wouldn't be able to break into the party hierarchy (mainly male). Yet it is entirely arguable that she has been able to effect change through the NGO organization, as much as if she had held a federal cabinet position.

(note to deb...saw your earlier mention of a stint in the belly of the beast. Lovely to hear. These beasts need more like you crawling about their innards.)
0 Replies

18thdistrictohio

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:54 pm
more women need to speak up

I have been involved in politics for about 8 years and have worked hard on many campaigns we have all seen what happens when men only speak their mind and only take the time to vote, we all need to vote and let our views be known. Who's going to speak for us if we won't even speak for ourselves? Question
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 11:04 pm
That's just the problem indeed my friend, we've got to at least speak about the needs that not only we need, but others that have no one in particular to help speak for themselves... Why? They're afraid of the answers, but answers is part of the vast majority of what we really do need, that's a fact! Wink And, if more people would take the time, to just examine the issues, they would be more informed, & definately better prepared to get out & Vote... I've always lived by, & practiced one rule when it comes to Politics in general: "If one doesn't Vote, don't gripe about it later", especially if one doesn't have the gumption to go Vote, I mean, it really ain't hard, & if one doens't know how, there are always people to help them out. But the problem w/that aspect of it, is that they're simply too lazy to actually put forth the effort... Sad indeed, & oughtta be against the Law! Smile

You've made very good remarks, & I for one, appreciate that! Thank you! Smile

Primarily Waitin' in Kentucky for May! Wink
Patt
0 Replies

jimandmar

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 07:56 pm
girlfriendboyfriendsenselesmannyorselvesdiffferentproblem
0 Replies

bocdaver

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 01:20 am
To Mr. Blatham, I say Bravo. I am delighted to hear that the Canadian women are intimately involved in Politics. I am sure that Mr. Blatham knows that the National Oraganization of Women is one of the typical US organizations that has done more to advance human rights than many male dominated groups.
If it were not for neanderthals in the USA, the supremely talented Hillary Rodham Clinton would already have been nominated.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm
New here, perusing threads. This one is super long, didn't read all 13 pages.

I'll admit to being an anomaly. I'm under 30 and very interested in politics and well educated in this arena. It matters to me. My mom is a Dem and my dad is a GOP. I don't recall heated debates over politics growing up. But I observed my parents paying attention, voting, watching the conventions on TV. When I was young, I thought they were the most booorrrinnngg things ever. I was a kid, what did I know? Unlike Bill Clinton who became enthralled at 8 yrs old, or something. But as a grown-up, that's my reference points. My parents paid attention; thus, I paid attention.

I have to admit, however, that I have trouble relating to NOW. They often take positions I feel are, well, for lack of more polite word ... CRAZY. Especially that nonsense with Martha Byrd and The Masters last year. Good grief, get over yourself.

As for Hillary, I consider her to be very bright, well educated, passionate about her work. But otherwise, I am ambivalent. May she be all the NY Senator she can be. But I think she lacks in social skills and has become too polarizing a figure to ever run for President.

As for this year's race, I have followed it from the beginning. I read the websites of all the original Dem candidates, their position papers on every issue, etc. Watched and critiqued every debate. Kerry was not my first choice, but he will have my vote in November. Bush Must Go.
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 02:12 am
Hi Buffy, & welcome to Able2Know.com! Smile If you'll look up "The Hard Facts", (I think that's it), you'll find some real interesting, & very different, in many ways, respnses that are gaining attention, after what seems like forever, lol, but there's some good stuff in that particular thread...
Again, welcome, & I hope to talk w/you soon. Smile Jump right in & get your feet wet, that's what we're all here for... Wink

Rainin' In Kentucky,
Patt Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 04:07 am
buffy

Welcome indeed. As to political involvement by women, I want first of all to thank you for helping unseat the Mayor of Sunnydale - a self-important and power-grasping Republican if ever I saw one. Bush isn't quite so inimical to all that is good and true, but on the other hand, he has not even the slightest facility with intelligent humor. Win some, lose some.

The post just preceding your own was, just to let you know, written in what was supposed to be an ironic voice (the fellow had a grudge on for me). His post and his style is not representative of the voices earlier on this thread. He's no longer with us it appears.

My mom and dad were politically engaged too, with dad leaning quite far left and mother more temperate. I was 18 when I first got actively involved in campaigning (for Pierre Trudeau) and our front lawn that year held two giant posters side by side recommending two opposing parties. To this day, I am very proud of my parents for that very real display of democracy and the free speech virtue.

A Dean fan, were you perhaps? I was. I thought him a unique and unvarnished voice, somewhat like McCain in that happy quality. But I will be quite pleased to sharpen cedar stakes for anyone who might pop one into Bush's lunar plexis.

Again, welcome to A2K. Please feel free to let us know if you've got any questions about site features and navigation.
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 04:42 pm
Thanks for the welcome, blatham. I'm thrilled you have reference to the always clever and witty dialogue of our favorite rogue Mayor.

I was raised and educated through undergrad level in the Carolinas, so I am a fan of John Edwards. However, I watched with eagerness the formation of the Draft Clark movement. Clark was my guy until he officially said Goodbye. doglover will attest to my unabashed crush on this man old enough to be my father. Rhodes Scholar, 4 Star General, and handsome to boot -- there was so much to like about him. I was not opposed to Dean, but felt he was too quickly portrayed as far left. While not true in reality, the perception of his liberal leanings made him an unlikely candidate to Beat Bush.

It will take a moderate to Beat Bush, and one I believe also must prove strong on defense. It was difficult for me to see Clark's meteoric rise and subsequent fade because he joined the race so late. Not enough money, not enough time. But I hope to see him as Sec of Defense or Sec of State.

Honestly, Kerry was not my favorite, and I was very surprised to see him make a stunning comeback in Iowa. Which I believe was directly precipitated by Dean's implosion. I believe Edwards was a much better campaigner, and appeals to moderates as well as Dems.

Not sure if Edwards will end up VP candidate - the short list is actually about 12-13 folks. But some are obviously just for show, and the real short list is maybe Edwards, Clark, Gephardt, Gov of Iowa [whose name escapes me at the moment] or Richardson. Kerry will need a southerner or a midwesterner.

I suppose I've veered off topic, since this is supposed to be about the relationship between women and our interest in politics. So on a tangent, I will say I don't believe America is ready to elect a female VP or Pres. I believe the time will come, and she will have been born in the 1960s. Which means she is either building her resume in Congress, or not yet on the national scene. Oftentimes, a person's interest is in direct proportion to what they can relate to. We have female Governors. We have Nancy Pelosi, House Minority Leader. We have females in the Cabinet, and a former female Sec of State. But until a female makes it to the WH, the true face of government leadership is that of a man. It doesn't personally bother me. But perhaps that might be why females show less interest in politics, and thus - less interest in posting about politics.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
My fear is that the first female fuhrer of the Republic of Gilead will be Mussberger. Sad
0 Replies

PegasusPatt

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 04:10 am
Well Bob, it's nice to know you have an opinion... lol Wink

Have a Good 'Un!
Patt Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
I have been a political junkie most of my adult life and do not feel the least bit intimidated in the forums.

Too often a political issue quickly dissolves into name-calling/accusing/demonizing of political personalities or parties, and/or criticism of or contempt for other debaters. It is this I think intelligent women see as nonproductive and a waste of time and effort.

Every now and then, however, a thread does offer some intelligent perspective and thought provoking observations. These I enjoy enormously and will join in as the spirit moves me.

--Foxfyre
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
Glad to see Buffy and Foxfyre..
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:31 pm
buffy and oss

Did you guys watch the hearings? Clarke was amazing...a very important and historic testimony.

ps...and his book is absolutely riveting
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:20 pm
No, but I am glad he has spoken up.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:34 pm
oss...I'm sure the transcipt is available. And how are your peepers doing? Are you inhibited at all in reading at this point?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:47 pm
Yes, BBB gave a transcript link here on a2k, thank you, BBB.

On the peepers, or peep, in this case, much better, thank you. A little complicated in that I have to take eyedrops and react to the ones that keep down post three-surgery pressure with inflamation, and the ones that keep down inflamation with high pressure, so I am going through related vision changes as we deal with working this all out. Speaking, now, of far vision.. in lefty.

Reading in lefty is never going to get better as the new lens is planted right plop behind the iris, which gives it no real range. I can read with it at 7", period, not 9" and not 5".
On the other hand, this is much better than nothing, and when the inflamation is down the corrected with glasses vision far vision is 20/30, quite good enough. So, it was a creepy few months, but I am coming out of it fine. Righty still works, though I have to engage on that one too later in the year.

Sorry for tangent, folks. But vision is wonderful...
0 Replies