A2K Politics Forum/Where are Our Politically Savvy Women?

nimh

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:05 pm
Ah, so this is where all the women are!

Any one of you up for a date? Cool
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:08 pm
Nothing like the direct approach.

That question goes very well with your avatar, I must say.

Cycloptichorn

ps. someday you will change your avatar, and then this post won't make sense. I find that to be funny for some reason
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:20 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's better now. I read a lot before I first posted and I remember making a conscious effort to be ambiguous about my gender when posting in politics, I think based on what I observed, though I can't swear to that. Part of what makes online forums so appealing is that you can eliminate that particular prejudice by just not announcing your gender. (Or any prejudice, for that matter.)

Interesting. Did people here treat you differently when they found out you're a woman?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:22 pm
Ah, I did post on this thread, page 15 and 42 and somewhere between, a few times. (I still agree with me.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 06:21 am
Thomas wrote:
Interesting. Did people here treat you differently when they found out you're a woman?

I know you asked FreeDuck, but I had a similar experience on Abuzz. I participated in politics forums as sozobe, and didn't get no respect. Ignored, mostly. I opened a new account (on Abuzz) with the name Regular Joe, or something, and pretended to be a guy. I was just me, but changed pronouns where necessary. Instant change. WAY more respect, way more responses. It was really marked, there.

I wish I could remember who I was dealing with at the time -- it wasn't you, I'm pretty sure, but it was at least some people who are here, too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 08:21 am
Thomas wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's better now. I read a lot before I first posted and I remember making a conscious effort to be ambiguous about my gender when posting in politics, I think based on what I observed, though I can't swear to that. Part of what makes online forums so appealing is that you can eliminate that particular prejudice by just not announcing your gender. (Or any prejudice, for that matter.)

By the time they found out it was too late, I think. When I joined, though, Politics was pretty hot -- I think it was in the months leading up to the last US presidential election -- and I don't know if I would've gotten the same respect if it was obvious that I was female.

Only one member appeared to show a little more hostility, but that might have just been my perception. The thing about not announcing my gender is that I could safely assume that any treatment others gave me was the same as for everyone else. So it wasn't just that others might treat me differently, it's that I might THINK others were treating me differently. Does that make sense?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:40 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nothing like the direct approach.

That question goes very well with your avatar, I must say.

<grins>
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:11 am
sozobe wrote:
I know you asked FreeDuck, but I had a similar experience on Abuzz. I participated in politics forums as sozobe, and didn't get no respect. Ignored, mostly. I opened a new account (on Abuzz) with the name Regular Joe, or something, and pretended to be a guy. I was just me, but changed pronouns where necessary. Instant change. WAY more respect, way more responses. It was really marked, there.

I'm glad to come out as an equal opportunity ignorer in this story. I'm pretty sure I responded neither to "Sozobe" nor to a "Regular Joe" before "Sozobe" and I met elsewhere on the web.

FreeDuck wrote:
Does that make sense?

A lot. But I must protest on one point: It is never too late too late to notice you're a woman, and remind you that every time you post here is a time you're neglecting your housekeeping duties. Please hang on as I channel my inner Victorian for even sterner lectures.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 11:28 am
Thomas wrote:
It is never too late too late to notice you're a woman, and remind you that every time you post here is a time you're neglecting your housekeeping duties.

Laughing You're killing me, Thomas.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 07:22 am
Quote:
Some might say her dissents are an expression of sour grapes over being in the minority more often than not. But there may be strategic judgment, as well as frustration, behind Justice Ginsburg's new style. She may have concluded that quiet collegiality has proved futile and that her new colleagues, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., are not open to persuasion on the issues that matter most to her.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/washington/31scotus.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Smart women who care and speak loudly. I love ya.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
Re: A2K Politics Forum/Where are Our Politically Savvy Women
Phoenix32890 wrote:
One of the things that I have noticed, is that the Politics Forum is most populated by the menfolk in the crowd. There are a few of us gals who chime in once in awhile, but basically the Politics Forum is a masculine bastion.

Ladies and gentlemen, why do you think that women are so underrepresented in the Political threads? I know that many women have as strong opinions as men in the area of politics. Why aren't more women getting involved in the discussions?
Much of the banter consists of nothing more than mine is bigger than yours debate which, for obvious reasons, women don't find interesting. My question would be, however, where are the politically savvy men on A2K. The answer: on dailykos, firedoglake or elsewhere. Now before the usual suspects get their panties in a wad, there are a few politically savvy men here. Too few though.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 03:44 pm
i was born in Asia where so many women had tested the political spectrum.
I live in Germany where a lady is at the helm of affairs.
I have no inhibitions or complex to expose hypocracy, irrespective of Gender .
Unortunately A 2K had a handful of women wo dare to uphold my views.
I will be much obliged if many people participate in Politics.
Rama
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:23 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Much of the banter consists of nothing more than mine is bigger than yours debate which, for obvious reasons, women don't find interesting.

With the odd exception ...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:40 pm
nimh wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Much of the banter consists of nothing more than mine is bigger than yours debate which, for obvious reasons, women don't find interesting.

With the odd exception ...

(S)He's very odd....
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:16 pm
You two closet queers should get a room.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:40 pm
Miss maporsche wrote:

She's very odd....

You wouldn't know a real woman or what do with her, if she was served to you on a silver platter

http://www.feministe.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/50_image2.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:56 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:

You wouldn't know a real woman...

No that's FUNNY coming from you.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:31 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:47 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Much of the banter consists of nothing more than mine is bigger than yours debate.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:52 pm
Much of the banter consists of nothing more than mine is bigger than yours debate.

and then posts a picture of a cooze the size of a dinner plate....did you have yours specially made that big?
0 Replies