HOW MANY TIMES WILL EDWARDS SAY "HALLIBURTON" TONIGHT?

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:43 am
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005715

Excerpt:

"Not surprisingly, there's a lack of consistency here from the Kerry campaign. On the one hand, it criticizes the Bush Administration for not spending money Congress allocated to rebuild Iraq faster. Meanwhile, it criticizes the KBR oil contract needed to get oil flowing quickly. In an interview with this paper in May, Senator Kerry tried to back away from his primary-season labelling of companies that send jobs abroad as "Benedict Arnolds." Now he's back attacking Halliburton for doing business overseas.
All of this marks a striking return to the Old Democrat distrust of all private enterprise, which held that if it moves, tax it, if it keeps moving, regulate it, and when it stops moving, subsidize it. The idea of anyone making a dime of profit by taking over a government function and doing it better is anathema on the Kerry ticket, and the idea of that person then going into public service even worse. That's the subtext of the Halliburton attacks on Dick Cheney."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,855 • Replies: 139
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:26 am
How many times will Dick Cheney make the Elvis face and either directly say or infer that if Kerry is elected there will be another terrorist attack?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:32 am
I hope Edwards doesnt make any sudden moves or shout outs. Cheney has a pacemaker .
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:41 am
Not sure if Edwards has the experience to stand next to a seasoned pro like Cheney.
Too bad the Yankee game is on tonight.

Yet the similarity of the end result of each event will be the same. The seasoned "pro" will make the youngster look silly
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
There's no doubt that Cheney will be a tougher opponent than Bush was. It ought to be a good debate.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
It is my understanding the job Haliburton is doing was supposed to go up for bid but it did not it went straight to Cheney's former corporation. Hmmm. Is this true? If so more distrust. I think someones pockets are profiting from this war.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 06:57 am
bellavu wrote:
It is my understanding the job Haliburton is doing was supposed to go up for bid but it did not it went straight to Cheney's former corporation. Hmmm. Is this true?

Yes, it was a sole source procurement. There were no protests filed by any other corporation because they were not in a position to immediately get on the job.

If so more distrust. I think someones pockets are profiting from this war

Sure there are...Halliburton stockholders to be precise. .
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:01 am
I hope he brings it up every chance he gets.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate Edwards. After all he is "trial lawyer" and is used to big cheeses like Cheney.

How many times will cheney say something that brings to mind "trial lawyers?"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:04 am
What I don't understand is why we didn't use Iraqis. It's not like Iraq was a primitive society. They had been building oil wells and pumping oil for some time before we invaded. Surely there were Iraqi companies -- or at least knowledgable people who could have formed companies -- who could have done that part of the job. And I'm quite sure they would have been cheaper than Halliburton.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:13 am
Freeduck: Good point.
Larry: Still sounds un fair, of course Cheney was more prepared, He knew what was coming. If there were protests made I think Haliburton would have still gotten it. I bet Cheney holds a large stock.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:32 am
FreeDuck wrote:
What I don't understand is why we didn't use Iraqis. It's not like Iraq was a primitive society. They had been building oil wells and pumping oil for some time before we invaded. Surely there were Iraqi companies -- or at least knowledgable people who could have formed companies -- who could have done that part of the job. And I'm quite sure they would have been cheaper than Halliburton.

then why the war? To give the Iraqis the opportunity to run their own businesses honestly? Are you shitting me? This was about transfer of ownership from a group of Iraqis keeping the profits to an American group keeping the profits....but you knew that....and so does everyone else...people like Larry approve of it....others don't....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:35 am
revel wrote:
I hope he brings it up every chance he gets.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate Edwards. After all he is "trial lawyer" and is used to big cheeses like Cheney.

How many times will cheney say something that brings to mind "trial lawyers?"

More than once I would guess.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:37 am
bellavu wrote:
Freeduck: Good point.
Larry: Still sounds un fair, of course Cheney was more prepared, He knew what was coming. If there were protests made I think Haliburton would have still gotten it. I bet Cheney holds a large stock.

Cheney did have considerable stock options which he put in an irrevocable charitable trust over which he has no control.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
Are you sh*ttin me? I don't beleive that. How did you come to know this?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
bellavu wrote:
Are you sh*ttin me? I don't beleive that. How did you come to know this?

Google. Wonderful research tool. Type in "Cheney stock options".

And there is nothing "unfair" about sole source procurements when it is deemed there is no other company that can immediately do the work called for.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:56 am
How many times tonight will Dick Cheney say "September 11"?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
in a related subject...how often will the sight and sound of him actually make me queasy?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:03 am
blatham wrote:

911 was a dramatic event in our country's history. It should be constantly remembered and regretted by all of us.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:08 am
Larry434 wrote:
blatham wrote:

911 was a dramatic event in our country's history. It should be constantly remembered and regretted by all of us.

as should the profiteering of American leaders and businessmen from it....
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:10 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
blatham wrote:

as should the profiteering of American leaders and businessmen from it....

Which "American leaders" have profited from it.
0 Replies