Builder

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:37 am
@MontereyJack,
It sounds like you're not understanding what the electoral college is for.

McGentrix

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:20 am
@Builder,
I said the same thing before I read your post.
Builder

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:22 am
@McGentrix,
Obama himself explained how it worked for him, so I'm not sure why democrat people are cussing the system now.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Trump should do the honorable thing and quit, Electoral College or no, since it is clear the American electorate did not want him or his policies. He did, after all, lose the vote by nearly three million voters. In every other election in the country, that would constitue a ringing vote of No Confidence, but we're saddled with the elitist, anti-democratic, obsolete Electoral Collegw whose decisions that went against the voters' will have mostly been disastrous.

The losing side cannot reject the rules of a contest retroactively after it is over and they see that they've lost. Even to suggest such a thing is dishonorable.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Of course he doesn't. The necessary 37 Faithless Electors needed by Martin Sheen, Loretta Swift and the rest of the Coup-mongers cannot be achieved.

We make a mistake though if we look at their effort as simply a desperate move from a bunch of cry-baby fools. Instead we should see it for what is, an effort by a power elite to retain their power in any way possible.

I guarantee you that the people behind this don't see it as a foolish attempt. They may not think it will work but they are more than willing to give it a try.

What else are they willing to try?

These celebrities urged the electoral college electors committed to Trump not to vote for him:

Martin Sheen,
Debra Messing,
James Cromwell,
BD Wong,
Noah Wyle,
Freda Payne,
Bob Odenkirk,
J. Smith Cameron,
Michael Urie,
Moby,
Mike Farrell,
Loretta Swit,
Richard Schiff,
Christine Lahti,
Steven Pasquale,
Dominic Fumusa,
Emily Tyra,
Talia Balsam

American citizens voted for the electors in question based on their statement that they would vote for Trump. To attempt to disenfranchise these voters borders on an attempted coup d'etat even though it is technically not forbidden by the Constitution. I urge everyone to boycott these celebrities for the rest of their lives. No one should attend their movies or concerts or purchase DVDs or CDs containing their work. People in stores should refuse to serve them. People in a position to do so should refuse to speak to them or acknowledge their existence ever again.
Below viewing threshold (view)
giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:31 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Quote:
He can speak for this American anytime he wants.

Well that makes two of you.

Two common sense conservatives are worth more than 1000 snowflakes.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
Yes I'm sure you'ld be happy to win every race by utilizing illegal aliens or not allowing smaller states votes to ever count. But thankfully you ain't a founding father
giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
Honor is not in a libitards vocabulary.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:56 pm
California was the anomaly that gave Clinton the popular vote.

https://www.google.com/amp/sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/12/16/california-final-2016-election-tally-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/amp/?client=safari
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:03 pm
@giujohn,
goooeyjohn says:
Quote:
Yes I'm sure you'ld be happy to win every race by utilizing illegal aliens or not allowing smaller states votes to ever count. But thankfully you ain't a founding father
That;s absolute bullshit, as is your usual mode of arguing. That does not resemble anythingI've ever said, but it totally charcteristic of your creation of straw men, attributing false outrageous positions to others. First off, illegal aliens DID NOT vote. That's purely a Trump fantasy to try to legitimize the fact that the voters repudiated him,and I don't know anyone that's supporting that. red herring on your part. Secondly, what I support, and what SCOTUS and the US pop. supports is One Person, One Vote. The President is the one office that everybody in the country has a stake in. Which means that a person in California should have the same power to elect a president as someone in Montana. There;s no reason the Montanan should have a greater say in it because he/she they live in an underpopulated state. We've already got the Senate to give greater power to small, thinly populated states. There is no defenbsible reason to walwyas deny equyal power to the far more numerous populations of blue states simply because they are more numerous. Small, thinly populaated states' voters deserve to be counted, but they don;t deserve to be the tail that wags the dog.Which is what makes the EC obsolete and undemocratic a hundred and fifty years after it ceased to have any relevance. It's been seriously off the rails since 1876.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:08 pm
@Lash,
You really should look up the definition of "anomaly" before you misuse it, Lash.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:12 pm
@Builder,
I do understand what it is for. That's why I reject the concept of it. One person, one vote, purely and simply. No obsolete, antidemocratic pseudoinstitutions to futz with it.
giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
Hey let me ask you genius, if we had a direct vote would any of the people in New Hampshire or Montana ever see a candidate campaign there? Or would they all campaign in California and New York? The founding fathers were much more intelligent and insightful than you. So deal with it.

And anyone who believes that an illegal with a driver's license didn't vote is either a dumb ass or a liar...Which one are you?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
What interest would any of the states have in staying in a union where 3 states decide everything for the entire country? Being a republic and having such institutions as the electoral college is an example of the glue that hold the nation as a whole together. I am sure Texas would not stay in a nation where New York and California divide up the federal govt. You would see a secession of a good many states if what you are talking about were to ever happen.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

You really should look up the definition of "anomaly" before you misuse it, Lash.

It appears to me Lash's use of the word anomaly was in this instance entirely consistent with the meaning of the word, and that here assertion with respect to California's contribution to the result was entirely accurate. Just comparew the electorial and popular vote tallys for the country with and without California and you will (perhaps) understand.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 10:02 pm
@McGentrix,
I doubt that very much. How would those states handle customs, national defense, infrastructure, transportation, communication, and trade?

Lash

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 10:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Exactly.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 10:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Apply for foreign aid from the U S.