Yankees - buh bye!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:07 pm
One George down, one George to go.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:09 pm
Well, that's enough baseball for me. I always follow certain teams, but seldom watch any games. I doubt that I will think too much about it again until deep into next season.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:33 am
I hear there are some good pictures going around the email chain. That infamous picture with A-Rod running down to first base, but now he is carrying a purse (like the Teletubbies). And one where A-Rod is hugging his wife, but over the wife's face is Jeter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
what the hell is that about?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:59 pm
Damn! She looks just like Jeter!!

http://s.a.cnn.net/si/features/2004_swimsuit/images/athletes/popups/wives02b.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:16 am
On behalf of half of the Houston Yankees fans (I know of two), I congratulate the stinkin Red Sox for finally doing what the Yankees do with a big yawn as often as not.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 06:33 am
I suspect their next one won't provoke many yawns.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
Now that one George is out of the way. Let us hope we can dispense with the other and more sinister one. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
HEY!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:45 pm
Randy Johnson on Verge of Joining Yankees(source)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 08:33 am
Now espn.com is reporting the Johnson deal may not happen.

Check out Pedro's comments about the Sox:

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=59315
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:02 am
i get the feeling steinbrenner will make the deal work -- at all costs...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 10:35 am
This is something Steinbrenner has wanted for years. And what Steinbrenner wants, Steinbrenner gets.

Except, of course, the World Series these past few years...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:18 pm
Big Unit acquisition expected to push Yankees' payroll past $200 million

NEW YORK (AP) -- There appear to be few, if any, limits to what the Yankees can afford, the reason they can add Randy Johnson and perhaps Carlos Beltran to their firmament of stars.

Then again, money is no object when you play in a city where apartments sell for $44 million, nursery schools can command $24,000, and dinner for two at a top restaurant can cost $1,000.

New York's acquisition of Randy Johnson from Arizona, which is likely to be completed next week, will boost the Yankees' payroll to about $205 million, easily topping the major league record of $187.9 million they set in 2004.
(article)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:41 pm
The only thing that will stop the Yankees and the other large market teams is salary cap. It is sorely needed.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 04:46 pm
The Yankees make a joke out of the game. The Cubs are in a similar market and they were forced to cut payroll! Buy Buy Moises Alou, Buy Buy Matt Clement, Buy Buy Mark Grudzilanek and numerous other important pieces.

Maybe The Cubs can go after Beltran? Only if they dump Moise's and Sammy's salaries, but The Yankees can afford to over pay Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, and add Randy Johnson and possibly Beltran. It is a fuckin' joke.

I can only imagine what a Royals fan feels like. Jermaine Dye, Mike Sweeney, Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran. That would make a pretty good nucleus.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
Steinbrenner plays by the rules, but the rules are a joke. The luxury tax he'll pay is more than many (most?) teams' entire payrolls.

If he were more successful winning the Series each year, there might be some momentum toward changing the system to prevent him from doing this every year...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:07 pm
looking forward to the 1st time big randy faces schilling...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
Although things could change at any time, I keep seeing articles in the NY Times that suggest that NYY won't go after Beltran because Steinbrenner is finally tightening the reins on his payroll. Strang but true. Because of the luxury tax, every dollar he spends on payroll actually costs him $1.40 from here on in.

We'll see if this comes to pass...
0 Replies