The New York Yankees

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:29 am
(be careful what you wish for...)
"Don't get in my face!"
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/baseball/mlb/01/10/johnson.camera/p1_0110_johnson_ap.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) -- Randy Johnson got a little physical on the way to his New York Yankees physical.

The Big Unit got into a confrontation on a Manhattan sidewalk with a television cameraman Monday,
then apologized in a statement released later in the day.
(full article)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:32 am
Seems he missed George's lecture:

Dealing With The Media 101
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:33 am
With his attitude the sports writers in NY will rip him apart. I wonder how much effect that will have on his pitching. NY at best is a tough place to play.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
Agreed. If he can't handle the NY media while walking down the street in mid-winter, he'll go nuts after a tough game this summer. I can't wait...
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:24 pm
The first Schilling / Johnson matchup should be fun as well.
edit: Oops! Sorry, Reege, I didn't see your earlier comment.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
hey, it bears repeating...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 04:25 pm
This isn't gonna effect Randy Johnson's pitching at all. If 200 New York writers are bashing him, how much do you think he will care? He is an emotionless pitching robot, and he'll pitch well.
0 Replies

Roystonius

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:18 pm
Omar Vizquel ----- 6 for 7 at Yankee satdium
22-0 to the Indians....

Oh..... What a game LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
Enough is enough!

BALTIMORE (AP) -- George Steinbrenner simply couldn't take it anymore. It didn't matter that there are still 150 games left to play, or that the hated Boston Red Sox were well within striking distance in the AL East.

The sight of seeing his New York Yankees in last place was just too much to bear, and the outspoken owner wasn't going to wait another day before voicing his displeasure over the fashion in which his team performed over the first two weeks of the season.

Minutes after watching the Yankees lose their fourth straight game, an 8-4 bashing by the Baltimore Orioles, Steinbrenner lashed out at his manager and a 25-man roster that is costing "The Boss" a whopping $200 million in salary.

"Enough is enough. I am bitterly disappointed, as I'm sure all Yankee fans are, by the lack of performance by our team," Steinbrenner said in a statement. "It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk.

"They are not playing like true Yankees. They have the talent to win and they are not winning. I expect Joe Torre, his complete coaching staff and the team to turn this around."

When he paid millions of dollars for free agent pitchers Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright, Steinbrenner expected New York to make a run at the defending world champion Red Sox. He did not anticipate seeing the Yankees start 4-8, including 1-5 against Baltimore, a team the Yankees have dominated for years.

Torre didn't expect that, either, and did not take Steinbrenner's comments lightly.

"He's right. What are you going to say? I'm not going to dispute that," the manager said. "If I try to defend what we've been doing, you'd have to check my sanity. This stuff out here is not pretty. We have to make it better. No question."
(rest of the article)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:00 am
I was waiting for this...and looking forward to it, too. Now the excitement in NY is about the Mets, which I'm sure galls the Boss no end.

Loser of tonight's NYY-Tampa Bay game is in sole possession of the AL East cellar.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
The Yankees are a f'n joke. Georgie is pissed because his overpriced team is playing like crap.

Bunch of overpayed guys who aren't performing. Their pitching staff absolutely sucks right now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
HEE HEE

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Over and over during spring training, Frank Robinson would tell anyone who would listen: If his Washington Nationals could do all the little things the right way, they could compete with any team.

No big boppers or Cy Young Award winners on this roster, Robinson would say, almost boasting. Can't count on three-run homers or shutouts. Nope, but with key hits, defense and pitching, these Nationals could be more than merely ex-Expos.

And he was saying it again Sunday after the Nationals' 7-3 victory over Arizona completed a series sweep, stretched their winning streak to five games and improved their NL East-leading record to 8-4.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:14 pm
Got to root for the Nats, though they compete vs my Braves. If Robinson can win with that payroll, he more than deserves to!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
I don't know my friend. Last night I watched Bobby coach a great game only to lose because of a knuckle head closer that would get booted out of Little League.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:32 pm
The end of that game made me crazy. Kolb may not be long for the Brave world. You can't win with a closer who blows games like that. Will Bobby try to talk Smoltz into returning to the pen? It could happen...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:39 pm
It was heartbreaking because the rest of the team gave their all...whatcha gonna do?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 02:53 pm
There is nothing I like better than to hear George squeal like a stuck pig.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:08 pm
Agreed re the Boss. Only now he does it via memos from Florida. The old bastard doesn't get around like he used to, much to the relief of his manager, coaches and players, I'm sure...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:05 pm
nothin' but agita when he does make it up north

http://www2.yesnetwork.com/photos/steinbrenner_010303_ww.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
for a game, at least, it worked -- they spanked the Rays 19-8...
0 Replies