The New York Yankees

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:41 pm
Those guys have their Red Sox thread. I won't throw ice water on them as they denigrate the greatest team in baseball. Here, this lifelong Yankees fan just wants to say, "Go, Yanks." And also, "Razzberries to other teams' fans."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 21,357 • Replies: 440
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:42 am
Edgar, I'll second your "Go Yanks." I'd prefer to hold off on the razzberries, though. I like to save my Bronx cheers for specific situations.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:49 am
Edgar, as I posted in another thread: Huzzah! You've come out of the Yankee closet and stand tall, ready to defend the most hated team in baseball.
As a Marlins fan, last year was as you can imagine, a wonderful season. Especially as the Fish beat the Yanks mano a mano with great pitching.
Great pitching beats great hitting as the Bosox found out last weekend. Great pitching in September characterizes the World Series contestants.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:09 am
The Yanks can, as we all should know, have a few off seasons - Making the World Series at all, as they did last year, is not too much off - and they will come back another day to win it all again. Folks can crow when the Yanks lose, but they won't be crowing long.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:54 am
C'mon. Rooting for the Yanks is like rooting for the house in Blackjack.

I respect Mets fans.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
Well, I root for the guys I like. People curse the Yankees all the time, making me want to run this thread. I don't always choose a favorite by their record. In football I became an Oilers fan the year they won just one or two games.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:13 pm
Yanks went downhill when Paulie O'Neal left.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:24 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

I respect Mets fans.

Word! as i sneak in and give a quick GO METS! and slowly sneak out... taking the clubs check book with...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:27 pm
Hey! The Mets train down here in my town, Port St Lucie so I sorta sneak a peek to see how they're doing.....ouch!...is Howe still managing?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
he was spoze to be fired at the end of the season, but the press leaked the story, so last week they fired him... but asked him to finish the season Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:31 pm
Nice crowd! Is that Freddy Wilpon's work?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:36 pm
he signs the checks, so he prolly had final say.
his son jeff is the COO, and there was some controversy about whether GM jim duquette has any power, or if he's just a talking head...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:37 pm
Thanks RP
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:03 pm
go mets
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:07 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

I respect Mets fans.

Becoming a fan is rarely a conscious, studied decision. In some ways, it's like a territorial imperative. From the age of 12 until my early 20s, I saw Yankee Stadium every day. From my apartment, I heard the crowd at Yankee games during baseball season and at Giants games during the football season. Is it like rooting for the house to become a fan of a team that was such a presence in my life? To you and many others, they're the hated Yankees. To me they're the home team, same as the football Giants, the Knicks, and the Rangers are.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:38 am
There's no need to explain 'Berta. Jealousy fuels the hatred for this great team.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:54 am
I've mentioned on other threads that I became a Yankees fan while in a Califrnia elementary school. At the time the only two teams I had even heard of were the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Yankees. I was dimly aware other teams existed - I had even heard of Willie Mays - Every World Series seemed to me to be between Yanks and Dodgers. Who was a kid gonna go for, the team of Whitey Ford, Yogi, Mickey? Or those other guys who had some guy named Koufax? No way to be anything but a Yankee fan. I couldn't stop now, even if they started playing like the Mets.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:26 am
hey how 'bout that jason giambi, huh? smacked a dinger last night, after crawling back from his deathbed with some mystery illness...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:27 am
Noooooo!...Has Jason turned out to be a bust?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
the jury's still out...
0 Replies