The New York Yankees

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:09 am
Jaysus Crist; what's the world coming to? Economically sliding practically to third world status, reverting to pre Depression Era morality, allowing a beliggerent moron into the White House, attacking helpless countries on the grounds they might a hundred years hence nuke us - And now the Red Sox beating the New York Yankees. What's next, appointing a rigidly conservative Supreme Court to ensure Republican agendas don't falter overmuch?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:17 am
All hail the Amazing Joe!
Knows all!
Tells all!
(Doesn't make a dime off it.)

Gotta say, "TheFour" was great call.

Happily, yours truly had the foresight to lay a friendly wager down. I'll be drinking the good stuff tonight.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:51 am
Who is the daddy now?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:00 am
Yup, Joe called it--and I encouraged him to call it. I take full responsibility. Sigh.

I'll be rooting for Boston in the Series. Go Sox! Did I just say that? Yes, I did.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:36 am
Condolences, Roberta. You're a classy dame.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:38 am
Yes, Roberta, if all NYY fans were like you, it would be much harder to root against them...

But whenever I falter, I think of George Steinbrenner, and that makes everything OK again!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
How'd you like to be an employee of the Yankee organization over this winter? Heads will roll.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
How did Steinbrenner and God allow this? It's sacrilege. Embarrassed Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:16 am
Class all the way, Roberta.

On to the next level. Can't wait.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:11 pm
Oh, NYY heads will roll all right, and dollars will be spent.

As I recently speculated, the NY Times today suggests that NYY will make Carlos Beltran their next must-have Big $$$ superstar. I suspect Williams' tenure in center field is all but over. As for pitching, I can't begin to guess who Steinbrenner will go after...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:15 pm
Thanks for the kind words, gang. Boston played better, played with guts and heart, and deserved the win.

When George Steinbrenner was banned from baseball for life (ROFLMAO), I sang. I danced (well, I shuffled around a little). I think he's bad for the game. And bad for the team, despite his relative reticence in recent years.

George, I wouldn't want to be an employee this winter or any other time. That guy is nuts.

PS: When spring rolls around and one of the Yankee games is on TV and they have a shot of the famous courthouse, three blocks left of that building is where I lived. Yup, we could hear the crowd from our front windows. I saw the stadium almost every day of my life (from the age of 12 until I moved away from home). I love the Yankees, but mostly I love the game.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
I don't hate George...he just represents America...for better or worse...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
til death do you part... right panzade?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:16 pm
til he fires Torre
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
that will be a sad day... could you imgaine the mad scramble to pick him up if he was let go?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK (Oct. 20) -- Hard to believe this could happen. Hard to believe the fabled New York Yankees could come apart in such an epic collapse.

Right here, at their hallowed home, in the shadow of all that history, all the monuments, all the championship banners.

"I'm embarrassed right now," Alex Rodriguez said.

After 86 years of domination in baseball's most bitter rivalry, the Yankees finally folded against the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday night, losing 10-3 in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series.

This was much more than a season-ending defeat -- it was an unprecedented choke job. Just three outs from a sweep on Sunday, the Yankees dropped four games in a row, becoming the first team in postseason baseball history to blow a 3-0 lead in a best-of-seven series.

"I wish my eyes were closed and I could open them now," reliever Tom Gordon said. "It could have been over in four. It's a tough one to bite... Just have to get past this."

It's never happened in the NBA. It's happened only twice in the NHL.

And now the New York Yankees, the most storied team in all of sports, are right at the top of an embarrassing list.

"I could care less about that," captain Derek Jeter said. "I don't know how you can rank failure. You win or you lose."

Broadband Only
Listen to home and away radio broadcasts for every playoff game on AOL for Broadband.

It will be a painful piece of infamy for everyone in pinstripes. And it will certainly bring the wrath of owner George Steinbrenner this winter -- probably sooner.

When pinch-hitter Ruben Sierra grounded to second for the final out, the Red Sox rushed to the mound and celebrated their trip to the World Series in the middle of Yankee Stadium. Boston fans chanted and cheered behind the third-base dugout.

It was a sight many New York fans thought they'd never have to witness. The Yankees are the team that pulls off improbable comebacks -- especially against Boston.

Not this time.

"It makes it worse. But we've been on the success side of this thing, not just against them. Now I'm getting my share of the losing end," general manager Brian Cashman said.

Jeter missed the party on purpose.

"I don't really want to watch another team celebrate," he said.

But A-Rod soaked it all in.

"Obviously, that hurts -- watching them on our field celebrating," he said.

After winning the first three games of the series, New York just couldn't close it out. Star reliever Mariano Rivera had his chance -- a ninth-inning lead in Game 4 at Fenway Park. He blew the save, Boston won in 12 innings, then rallied again for a 14-inning victory the next day.

"History would have told them to give up. It didn't matter to them," Gordon said. "They didn't just fold the tent."

When the Yankees returned home, it was no better. Curt Schilling shut down New York in Game 6, and panic began to set in.

New York trotted out all the mystique it could muster for Game 7. The scoreboard played a tribute to Mickey Mantle before the game. Bucky Dent threw out the ceremonial first pitch to Yogi Berra.

A sign hanging high above home plate reminded the Red Sox of the B's who have tortured them, with one hoped-for addition: "Babe, Bucky, Buckner, Boone, Brown!!"

But Kevin Brown was awful, and Boston had a "B" of its own in response -- for blowout.

"We just couldn't stop them. It's tough to come back when you can't hold them," Jeter said.

The Yankees were listless in the last two games, managing only five runs and 11 hits.

After taking the big lead, they got complacent. They didn't steal on knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. They didn't try to bunt against Schilling and his gimpy ankle. They failed to move runners in extra innings.

And even with a $183 million Opening Day payroll, New York ran out of pitching in the end.

"The series obviously turned in that Game 4. Then the momentum started going their way and we just couldn't hold 'em off. We obviously broke down in a number of areas," Cashman said. "We'll start working on our offseason. That's what we do win or lose -- just start earlier than we thought."

10-21-04 01:07 EDT
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
Arod is a bitch.

Curt Schilling on ESPN said his play smacking the ball out of Arroyo's hand was "freakin' junior high."

Anyone else notice his hand looked like the big Hamburger Helping hand smacking that ball away?

Going to the WS, baby!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:54 pm
Rodriguez should be embarrassed with that stunt he pulled.

I do have to say, I feel sorry for Tom Gordon. He is one of the few Yankees that I actually like.

This win is so sweet especially because of the way the Red Sox pulled it off. They truly play with their hearts. This is just the way Boston loves to win - coming from behind and doing what most consider the impossible and all at Yankee stadium. I am still crying tears of joy!

I remember the first commercial I saw Schilling in - it was some truck commercial with Schilling hitch hiking. He gets picked up and the driver asks him where he is going and he says I gotta break a curse. I love that commercial.

The evil empire has crumbled!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:40 pm
Well, I'm sure the Yankees will be looking for a left-handed pitcher. Any ideas, pundits and prognosticators?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 04:43 pm
Well, my other team, the Astros still have a shot. Good ole Roger Clemens.
0 Replies