I got some so-called friends ...

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:06 pm
I went to my first Ikea shop when I was in Queensland a couple of weks ago.

I was VERY disappointed - except I loved some of their storage options. I also hated the pathway thingy - so I ignored it.

We discussed them at dinner that night - and people were saying there is a thing called "Ikea droop" which affetcs book-shelves - though they were saying it had not affected theirs....

We didn't eat.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:24 pm
Yes, Piff, fifteen! Laughing AND a glass of wine, too. Very Happy

Yep, I also bought a new computer desk chair. (the one I have now appears to be making my back sore - so out it goes!) It's now sitting nearby, still in it's box, waiting to be assembled. Oh, & some little nicky-nacky things, including a long, tall vase. That was enough! Didn't want to break the budget!
But was I tired after 4 hours of Ikea? Very! I wonder how K managed dinner & a film after that? I needed a good lie down!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:27 pm
Deb, I think "Ikea droop" is a physical condition you develop after too much time there. I'm certain I caught it yesterday! Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:58 pm
I've got some Ikea bookshelves that have been, varyingly, double and triple stacked with books for about <scratches head> <looks pensive> <grimaces> 22 years. No droop on the shelves, but the floor upstairs has been threatening ...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:02 pm
I'm amazed at the thought of eating 15 meatballs. Anywhere.
Lingonberry wine is quite nice.
mmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:12 pm
ehBeth

They were kinda little meatballs & I hadn't had breakfast. Didn't have dinner, either!
But it didn't seem to be a huge amount of the little blighters, really ....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:22 pm
I've had Ikea meatballs, msOlga. I find 5 a lot!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:24 pm
Maybe yours are bigger, ehBeth?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:24 pm
We bought our daughter a couple of these beauties... she loves 'em:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/PIAimages/37100_PE128981_S3.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:29 pm
I hope Ikea appreciates the free advertising here! Laughing

That looks pretty wild, Piff! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:34 pm
Is that a pommel horse?

The meatballs here are about the size of a woman's top thumb joint, msOlga. Is that bigger than what you managed to snag?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:38 pm
Yep, about that size, ehBeth. Musta been starved! Laughing Perhaps this explains why I skipped dinner last night? That, & Ikea Droop! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:43 pm
Actually, that was my first experience of Ikea meatballs. Personally I found them a wee bit bland. (I hope this doesn't cause great outrage to the meatball fans here! :wink: )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:56 pm
mrs. h makes very good meatballs(they are called 'koenigsberger klops' ) and they are of a fairly good size - 5 to 6 make a good meal with the proper sauce(capers in sourcream) and nice, fluffy mashed spuds. hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
hamburger

THAT sounds more like it! Yum! Sour cream & capers, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:26 pm
Well, I may have used flimsy a little easily. I remember liking their hinges. But, the cabinets were laminated chipboard and there was no way we would put our new Kohler sink on that. You are supposed to buy their sink, I think. Think sinking sink, you'll be in the pink..

I have had chipboard bookshelves. They are hard-pressed (!) to take the weight of real books. In that case, they weren't from Ikea, but Plummer's, in LA. I kept turning over the boards so they would sag in a different dirrection....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:34 pm
My Ikea shelves aaaaaaare (what's their name), Ivar maybe? They're just wooden boards. Not so pretty - but solid and durable. Ikea cabinets with the chipboard/pressed wood etc - not so nice - well, pretty, but not so durable.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:58 pm
Ivar... is past my time. Never heard of it. Presumably they've shored up their stuff in the last ten years. My pals, the stewardii, had their wall cabinets lit with different ephemera from their travels featured. For that, the shelves worked. For my tomes, they don't, or didn't at the time. Though I gather from ehBeth's post there are more sturdy shelves now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:04 pm
Like I said, not the best meatballs of your lives. But, on the other hand, not taco bell.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:04 pm
well, as i've mentioned, mine are over 20 years old now, so the real wood stuff's been good for quite a while. we talked about this on the ikea thread before. if you get the real wood, you're usually all right. usually.
0 Replies