I got some so-called friends ...

Piffka

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:47 am
msolga wrote:
Given the pain he caused her by his words & actions, well it just doesn't make sense at all. It just doesn't fit with the things that she's constantly said. The only conclusion I can come to is that she's been communicating with R for a while & kept it secret, probably because of embarrassment. So it was a total surprise to me. Right now I'm just backing off for a while.

That's the rub... you can't pick your friends' partners, but it is awful when they seem to be hurtful.

It is also fairly stupid for anyone to confide how bad their partner has been in detail and then go back to him. Are you just supposed to forget because she seems to? <shaking head> As you surmised, this has happened to me and I can't forget what the SOB did. I have a good memory even if my friend doesn't.

I think you're doing the right thing, Olga, which is waiting it out. But to socialize with the bounder? Aaaawkkkk. That would be difficult and that, as I say, is when I'd figure out one way or another to avoid a deep conversation, wine being an excellent choice.

While I see friendship as a way for each other to stay sane(in the main and only for the minor neuroses -- of which we all have some teensy, tiny bit), I think that having to be the sounding-board for a friend's troubles can be wearing. For one thing, it makes the relationship be one-sided.

Hoping that she dumps him!
P

Panzade -- I love that phrase -- "fairies under your pillow." I've never heard it before. Is it an old family saying or have I missed something wonderful?
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 12:25 pm
Hi piffka, panzade's always coming up with nice things to say.

i'm sorry i don't have much to add msolga! i've read the thread, and it seems you've got some real good friends here. Smile

hang in there!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:38 pm
Thanks for your thoughts, Piffka & Pam. A new day today & I've decided to give it a rest, as Deb suggested. My gut feeling tells me that any involvement on my part at this stage would be construed as interference. Still no word from C, so I guess she wants to be left alone. She's never hestitated to contact me before when there's strife in her life, so ......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:41 pm
... Diversionary activity for today: My friend, K, is dragging me to the newish, gigantic Ikea store. We're probably gonna get lost in the maze! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:58 pm
I just got a quick call from C. She didn't mention him & neither did I ... So there ya go ....

(I just posted this message to the wrong thread, too! Probably confused the hell out of the folk wanting to talk about their missing PMs! Laughing )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
Something to make you smile after such a heavy thread:

http://www.judyhoracek.com/images/fly.gif

Did that do the trick? Cool
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:27 pm
<Hi PamO!!>

Thanks for the diversion, Olga. Frankly, I think that trip to IKEA is going to be loads of fun for you! Be sure to have lunch there. Ten meatballs with lingonberry sauce........yum!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:50 pm
Msolga, your diversion was delightful and I'm still smiling at the confusion your post must have caused on the missing pm thread. I can almost hear them saying, "HUH?"

Keep us posted on progress/no progress with your friend. You are a very good friend and must remember to take care of yourself. I also hope she will be safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:46 pm
I have read this thread too and sympathize greatly. No advice to add, just support.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:26 pm
Well - Olga

You're a great listener....

Now let me tell you all about my operation....No-one else will listen to me....la la la.....doctor said it was the worst....and so many complications, and biggest she'd ever seen, and.......

No commonsense suggestions on your predicament, by the way (or on anything else...)
How was Ikea? New one opening near me some time soon!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:40 pm
Meatballs.

Not perhaps the best you've ever had, but usually a treat, unless you do veg. I used to hate the orchestrated route, drove me nuts.

Years ago and far away, I had some girlfriends who were pan am stewardesses, the term then. One was a pal from the hospital we both worked in through college, and the other, her roommate, was previously the junior tennis champion of sweden and a pharmacist. Anyway, while they were roommates living by combined income in a wonderful apartment near the airport, they had furnished it with some items the woman from Sweden had imported... from a place there called Ikea. Long before Ikea came here.

So.... when we, m'ex and I, redid our house in Venice, on a slim budget, we used ikea cabinetry. Ok, where it didn't have to hold anything heavy, like a cast iron sink (had to put a wood header above to bear the weight). I have no idea if it is as faint in sturdiness now. Did the job at the time, but no substitute for the real thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:41 pm
Not to stop on a negative, there were lots of things at Ikea that I enjoyed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:03 am
Piffka wrote:
...Frankly, I think that trip to IKEA is going to be loads of fun for you! Be sure to have lunch there. Ten meatballs with lingonberry sauce........yum!

Piffka, I had 15 meatballs with lingonberry sauce! Felt like a bit of excess. Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:08 am
margo wrote:
Well - Olga

Now let me tell you all about my operation....No-one else will listen to me....la la la.....doctor said it was the worst....and so many complications, and biggest she'd ever seen, and.......

Yeah, yeah, OK, margo! I get the message loud & clear! :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:12 am
margo wrote:
Well - Olga

No commonsense suggestions on your predicament, by the way (or on anything else...)
How was Ikea? New one opening near me some time soon!

I'll listen, Margo!!!!

Just $130 per hour (friend discount)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:12 am
I've re-read this thread just now. What an extraordinary bunch of wise & compassionate women we have here at A2K! We could run a professional online counselling service!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:13 am
Lol! Snap!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:14 am
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:15 am
Hmmmm - private clients of mine (if I had any) can now get a medicare rebate.........

Advantages:

I don't see those cases.

I won't see YOU!!!

Disadvantages:

Morals.

Hmmmmmmmm........
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:28 pm
Is that $130 Australian??? At least here on a2k, Deb, you get to smoke while you listen. There are benefits.

I am shocked, Olga... SHOCKED!!!... that you ate 15 meatballs. Heehee. Aren't lingonberries delicious? When I first went there, I couldn't understand why they served meat and gravy with fruit preserves, but it works somehow.

Did you buy anything else? I love that each product has its own given name. I read there is a system to the naming, something like all the wooden living room items use names from one country, all the wooden kitchen things from another. Very clever.

Interesting, Osso, that you saw the IKEA products so early. Do you think they are still flimsy?
0 Replies