Castrating paedophiles...

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:54 pm
The article in the New York Times provides a cautionary tale, in my opinion. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/19/magazine/19KIDSL.html?pagewanted=7&th

But even with confessed pedophiles, I am chary of chemical castration (upon prison release after time served), except as a choice, though I sympathize with the anger that underlies the wish to make sure the people don't keep on keeping on.
0 Replies

NYClaw04

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:13 pm
i haven't read all the posts in detail, but i've skimmed most of them and it seems that what is misunderstood by many on this thread is the pathology of pedophilia.

the pathological fixation of a pedophile on children has discrete biological and chemical origins. brain scans done to locate activated parts of that organ during the subject's exposure to sexual stimuli reveals that the test-case pedophile's brain reacts in almost always the same way.

in essence, pedophiles are afflicted by a sickness, just as cancer patients or the mentally ill are. their behavior vis-a-vis children should by no means be unchecked, but it should be evaluated in light of their clinical diagnosis. it is unlikely that most pedophiles are motivated out of a desire to harm their victim when they engage in sexual activity with them. public policy should have an eye towards treatment and therapy (as any other sickness would be dealt with) for pedophiles while it seeks to protect the child victims. our penal system would then need to incorporate this policy in deciding the fate of those afflicted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:53 pm
That's interesting, I didn't know that. Might point to some future workable treatment.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:07 am
Ossobuco,

I just had to mention (and this has nothing to do with the thread) that I love your Corgi! What a cutie! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
Thank you! Pacco is my treasure!
0 Replies