Today the British Parliament bans hunting with dogs

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:50 pm
Hunting isn't barbaric, much less so than buying meat at the grocery store and supporting factory farms. Just because 2/3 of any group of people think one way doesn't necessarily make them right.

Hunting is a highly effective wildlife management tool. The key is education, as in any endeavour.

Let me throw some stats at you. Hunters and anglers were the ones who created the wildlife oversite agencies in the U.S. when the populations of game were decimated by overhunting and population expansion. In 1900, there were less than 1/2 million whitetail deer in the nation. Today there are almost 40,000,000. There were only 41,000 rocky mountain elk, today there are 1,200,000. Less than 100,000 wild turkey roamed the countryside, today there are almost 6,000,000.

People who hunt and fish are the ones that are the most connected to the land and wildlife, even moreso than farmers and other managers of our wildlife resources. That point cannot be made enough.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:46 am
we'll never agree - I totally disagree with you on all points.

incidentally people don't eat foxes

Oscar Wilde: The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:16 pm
How can you disagree with facts? You choose ignorance?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:29 am
I disagree with a barbaric opinion not facts.

Facts are the majority of people in our country are opposed to hunting and find it barbaric. Fact is that people used to enjoy bullbaiting, dogfighting, cockfighting, dancing bears tortured and prodded to 'dance' which we have long since banned as barbaric. Just because you enjoy it doesn't make it right.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
I really can't understand people like you. On one hand, you're all about getting back to the land (organic meats, dairy, produce), and then you reject hunting out of hand, preferring to have someone else do the killing for you. Believe me, even vegans kill and eat animal protein, whether they intend to or not.

I think you're sick.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
cjhsa wrote:
I really can't understand people like you. On one hand, you're all about getting back to the land (organic meats, dairy, produce), and then you reject hunting out of hand, preferring to have someone else do the killing for you. Believe me, even vegans kill and eat animal protein, whether they intend to or not.

I think you're sick.

I think you're sick.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 11:26 am
Explain why. I doubt you can without basing it strictly on emotion and not facts.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
some of us just find people who enjoy killing for fun objectionable - clear enough?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:15 pm
Killing for FUN? Who ever said that? You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about.

In fact, the actual taking of an animal is truly anti-climactic. It's the hunt, trying to find and outsmart the animal, and being in the outdoors that is the fun part. Hunters are just like bird/animal watchers, only after a little while, we start shooting. And, unlike anti-hunters and their terrorist organizations, such as PETA, we actually follow the laws.

Now, in the case of this thread, England has once again slapped its good citizens in the face with legislation created by urban numbnuts who've never caught a fish and think hamburger comes from the grocery store.

In the true spirit of the wild "I love animals. They're delicious."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Killing for FUN? Who ever said that? You CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about.

In fact, the actual taking of an animal is truly anti-climactic. It's the hunt, trying to find and outsmart the animal, and being in the outdoors that is the fun part. Hunters are just like bird/animal watchers, only after a little while, we start shooting. And, unlike anti-hunters and their terrorist organizations, such as PETA, we actually follow the laws.

Now, in the case of this thread, England has once again slapped its good citizens in the face with legislation created by urban numbnuts who've never caught a fish and think hamburger comes from the grocery store.

In the true spirit of the wild "I love animals. They're delicious."

Quote:
Fox hunting

source: "fox hunting." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2005. Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service
18 Feb. 2005 <http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9035066>.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:46 pm
Thanks for helping to prove my point Walter. 600 years of history tossed in the toilet by urban numbnut animal rights activists.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 01:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Thanks for helping to prove my point Walter. 600 years of history tossed in the toilet by urban numbnut animal rights activists.

Thanks again.

I really wonder, why the hell the colonies tried to get away from such folk.
(Nice reading: Rebecca Fraser: A People's History of Britain)

Quote:
urban numbnut animal rights activists
- you haven't read ANY of the previous links.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
I read them quite thoroughly. When I see the words "animal rights" mentioned I stop reading, because there's no point.

Should animals be treated poorly? No. Do they have rights like a human? No.

Do you know that Ingrid Newkirk, the head of PETA, has publicly stated that she doesn't support animal testing on even one animal even if it would save millions of human lives to AIDS?

Better choose your friends carefully. I have.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:19 pm
You know, there are some really good bloodline hunting dogs and horses for sale right now. Get 'em before they're gone forever.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:32 pm
How do you get the idea that I have something in comon with PETA or/and animal rightists?

I'm against fox hunting, that's all.

Germany has guaranteed animal rights in its Basic Law (constitution), btw:
Article 20a of the German Basic Law reads: "The state takes responsibility for protecting the natural foundations of life and animals in the interest of future generations."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
I'll tell you exactly where it came from. If you support one type of hunting, and oppose another, it's hypocritical. Addressing wildlife concerns, managing hunts, are good things. Telling someone they can't use one method of hunting vs. another, well, that's just stupid. It's the pot calling the kettle black.

Let me give you an example of this, right from the good old USA. If bow hunting is legal, why are crossbows illegal (in some states)?

There is no good reason, except that people are stuck in their ways, and don't realize they are fighting against their own cause.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:57 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If you support one type of hunting, and oppose another, it's hypocritical.

Sorry that my rersponse(s) were so unclear:
a) I am against fox hunting
b) I don't support hunting
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 02:58 pm
And that's just stupid, especially when a quick search through the food & wine forums prove you to be a meat eater. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:16 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
If you support one type of hunting, and oppose another, it's hypocritical.

Sorry that my rersponse(s) were so unclear:
a) I am against fox hunting
b) I don't support hunting

my stance almost exactly and I too object to being told who my 'friends' are and which organisations I support.

hunters are dinosaurs incapable of comprehending that the world moves on, barbarity is seen as such and banned and cjhsa says that killing the animals is not fun for him! Rolling Eyes Laughing but is incapable of just enjoying watching them without the kill - strange that Rolling Eyes

no cjhsa you haven't understood any of the posts here when you keep throwing out the same old red herrings and pathetic arguements.

as for hunters preserving species - otters were wiped out in large areas of England by idiot hunters. It has taken a long time for this law to be passed - public opinion has wanted it for many years now, it is no overnight situation. Finally we had a government prepared to take on the hunters who are squealing and crying loudly - poor things Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:20 pm
I very much enjoy watching animals. We hunters in the U.S. haven't wiped out anything, in fact, we're managing the populations in conjunction with our wildlife agencies, originally created by hunter conservationists.

And yet you love cats, who kill purely for fun. You're such a hypocrite.
0 Replies