Today the British Parliament bans hunting with dogs

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:59 am
There have been several attempts to get legislation through parliament to make illegal the hunting of wild animals, in particular foxes, with dogs. Mostly it has been blocked by the (unelected) house of lords.

But today the Labour govt, which has always promised action on this issue, is going to force it through to a conclusion.

Fox hunting raises strong emotions for and against. The "traditional" scene of hunting-pink clad riders following the dogs after the fox might soon be a thing of the past.

Issues involved include

Animal cruelty/welfare
Individual freedom
Class antagonism
Pest control
Constitutional aspects... primacy of the House of Commons
Employment
Land management

What do you think? Is hunting with dogs legal where you are? Is it cruel? Do governments have an obligation to protect minority rights? How much should they listen to the popular vote, who want a ban?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,294 • Replies: 188
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:11 am
What do I think?

I think killing wild animals for fun is disgusting and barbaric, and if individuals indulge in it they are by definition disgusting and barbaric. But if that's what they want to be, let them be. Then prosecute them under public decency laws.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:16 am
and you can watch the debate here
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:18 am
I think exactly what you think Steve.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:21 am
I think it is cruel to train any animal to behave like humans.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:22 am
Is it legal in Canada, Montana?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:24 am
Even if this is tradition, it is not "modern" to hunt the interesting animal fox.

A CNN poll said at present, to the same question:
Yes 69% 647 votes
No 31% 297 votes
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Is it legal in Canada, Montana?

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I tend to sway away from hunting issues since it disterbs me so very much. I came in here only because they are banning something that I agree should be banned.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:41 am
Really how horrible can a display be than that of such biast odds for what forfillment?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
Thanks Algis. Any chance in English?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
Probably that's canadian slang ;-)

well, please in understandable english.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:41 am
Well its all happening

pro hunt protestors have broken into the Palace of Westminster and caused the House of Commons to suspend its sitting.

So if you log onto the link I gave you only see a clock (above the speakers chair)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 09:50 am
They broke in to Westminster? It's a good job they're not proper terrorists then, isn't it. How can that happen, after that carry-on with the flour-bombs a few months ago?

As far as hunting goes, I have no real feelings either way. Sorry to sit on the fence, Steve!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
well, just crackpot.
They broke into the Westminister, violence and accordingly clashes with the police at demostrations etc.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:06 am
What Algis meant was that it is a disgusting practice when the odds are in the hunter's favour. It's cruel and unfair, and offers only the satisfaction of conquest, a terribly horrid human trait.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:14 am
After all that's canadian slang :-)

just now: British MPs vote overwhelmingly for a ban on hunting with dogs.

Maybe that will be end like Steve's third poll option.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:52 am
Actually not Thok

The debate doesn't include the third option
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:34 pm
Steve: There you go again. Are you aware that there is a world war going on? Your PM is seriously thinking of stepping down? Steve? Does your Mother know your out again?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
No
My mother is suffering from multi infarct dementia which is costing me £700 per week.
Next question
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:54 am
As long as they are hunting Fox thShey are leaving birds alone. I love birds.

Fly away, Fly away.

Should hunting be stopped, no way. If game population is not controlled then there will be too many critters and when that happens more dear will be killed by autos.
0 Replies