Griping...

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:47 pm
Here we go again. Domestic notes from Cali Colombia. Some time ago I bought two bicycles for my wife and myself. My wife's is a wide handled model with a basket in front and mine is typical mountain bike style. We've used them very little and are moving soon to a place where we can't use them at all. My wife said she thought she'd store hers at her mother's house so that she can use it if she wants (she won't) and mentioned that her 17 year old nephew is looking to buy one to ride to work and would I sell him mine. I paid about $160.000 pesos for each and said yes he can have mine for $100.000. She gave me a long look which was supposed to give me the opportunity to retract my words and finally said "a hundred?" , "yes" I said and her expression changed to the well known pout following which she retreated to the bedroom to "rest". I know what the deal is. I'm supposed to give my bike away to the bugger for twenty-five or something. This is the same bugger who is in welding school and said long ago he would weld me up a grill out of some welding rods to fit a smoker I made and of course never has. I finally made it my self when I returned to the states where I have a welder. I also had to get some brackets welded up the other day for guttering on our new house here. Nobody said a word about the bugger. Had to pay a local welder to do it. And I'm supposed to give him my bike. This discussion actually came about when we were talking about some (expensive) metal roofing sheathing from the new place that I've already agreed to give her sister, the mother of the bugger. I really get fed up with the the idea that her family is some non-profit organization to which I'm supposed to be the big doner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,230 • Replies: 62
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
More pouting.

-sigh-

The issues aside -- I mean, I can kind of see how if you can't use the bike at all, and he needs it -- awful lot of pouting.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:10 pm
Pitter wrote:
We've used them very little and are moving soon to a place where we can't use them at all.

Where the hell are you moving, Pitter. Waterworld?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:12 pm
Can you afford to be generous? If so, just give it to him, outright. That makes it perfectly clear to all. If you need the money, however, you offered him a deal... now place an ad and see what the open market value of your bike is. Your wife, her family, even you, will eventually get over it.

Just my $0.02 worth. PP Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
pp, pitter has posted a whole lot of these that have cumulatively eroded my sympathy for his wife... they seem to have a relationship that is a lot of her putting her palm out and him putting stuff it in. And her pouting if he resists.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:19 pm
I'm gonna have to side with pitter's wife.

All the stuff pitter has put her through..... poor woman.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
Re: Griping...
Pitter wrote:
I really get fed up with the the idea that her family is some non-profit organization to which I'm supposed to be the big doner.

Have you and your wife talked about this?

My initial response to this was going to be - well, you are the big donor, aren't you? It does seem to be your role.

Your tolerance for pouting is impressive, pitter. The kids in my life don't get away with it much - adults not at all.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:22 pm
Gus, I know you're just being... Gus, but actually after I wrote that I thought of something. Pitter, you've talked about the fact that you're much older than her... is there a sort of social contract going on? You provide money and security, she provides youth and beauty? If not, are you guys on the same page with that? (Like, you say no, she says yes?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:23 pm
jinx
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
Aha! Soz, I haven't read any of those posts, none at all! I guess I'm not really in the loop yet here. Wink If she's Colombian, maybe it's a cultural thing...??? Confused I live in Hawaii and you would be surprised how different customs and familial rights get themselves expressed cockeyed here and cause all sorts of consternation for those foolish enough to mix cultures in marriage (which is pretty much everybody. Laughing) I'll step back out of this one since I know none of the local customs or particular details of Pitter and/or his dw.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:30 pm
Yer on the money with the cultural thing, pp. What I can't figure out is how much Pitter and Mrs. Pitter have talked about this -- how much or what was agreed to ahead of time.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:31 pm
I think you're both missing the real issue here, and that being: Where is pitter moving that he won't be able to ride a bike?

I'm really perplexed over this and, damnit, I want some answers.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:39 pm
Well what irks me is that my wife is constantly alert for what I can give to/do for her family members but should I need something that just goes by the by. So I'm griping...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
But where are you moving? And why can't you ride the damn bike?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
Work with me, pitter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 08:50 pm
mmmm, gus - Pitter has posted pix of where they will be moving.

Pitter, watching Maria Full of Grace made me think that things in Colombia are much like things on some of the reserves north of here. If it belongs to you, it belongs to your family. And since you're the, well, older rich white guy from North America, you'd be the natural source of money/stuff. I'd suspect that's what they all think you signed on for. If you didn't realize it - you probably need to either just come to terms with it, or decide if you want to do anything about it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:01 pm
ok, ok, no one's gonna tell me where pitter's moving too. Fine!

< walks away cursing under his breath >
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:01 pm
Sorry Gus I stepped out for a minute. We're moving to a mountain home at the end of a steep unpaved road which could indeed be used by dedicated mountain bike fans but I'm not one. Instead I'll be hiking footpaths through cloud forest looking at toucans and such.

Sozobe yes it's true and I've not forgotton the pact I made with the devil but I do like to gripe about it now and then.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:04 pm
Thank you, pitter. Sounds like a hell of a place.

Send me one of those toucans, please.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:10 pm
Pitter wrote:
Well what irks me is that my wife is constantly alert for what I can give to/do for her family members but should I need something that just goes by the by. So I'm griping...

What was the relationship like when you married? Did her family know and approve of you? Were you and she in love? Or in love with each other's facade? How much older than her are you? How long had you known each other? What was the draw?
0 Replies