15
   

Language and Propaganda - an example

 
 
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 05:39 pm
@blatham,
Support of Yiannopoulos is truly concerning.

I'll be surprised if I ever find anything positive to say about someone who will praise Yiannopoulos.
layman
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 06:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Support of Yiannopoulos is truly concerning.

I'll be surprised if I ever find anything positive to say about someone who will praise Yiannopoulos.


That perv ROCKS!
0 Replies
 
ossobucotemp
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 06:43 pm
I'm confused. There are at least two yauhnoppoli, one more interesting than the next.
layman
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 06:47 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Talkin bout this perv, Jo:

layman
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 07:24 pm
@layman,
Milo managed to brainwash this poor woman, somehow.

layman
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:05 pm
@layman,
I just noticed that last video gets cut a little short. If you want to listen to the rest of Peggy' s rant, try this one (picking up at about the 3:00 mark). She aint playin.

0 Replies
 
layman
 
  0  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:00 pm
Quote:
For the first time since the activism started three years ago, organizations tied to the Black Lives Matter movement have released a list of demands calling to “end the war on black people.”

The demands issued by the more than 60 organizations affiliated with Black Lives Matters outlined concerns for equality, empowerment and reparations for the African-American community [and include]....

1. Reparations for the continued divestment from, discrimination toward and exploitation of our communities in the form of a guaranteed minimum livable income for all Black people, with clearly articulated corporate regulations.

2. Reparations for the wealth extracted from our communities through environmental racism, slavery, food apartheid, housing discrimination and racialized capitalism in the form of corporate and government reparations focused on healing ongoing physical and mental trauma, and ensuring our access and control of food sources, housing and land.

3.Reparations for the systemic denial of access to high quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all Black people (including undocumented and currently and formerly incarcerated people) to lifetime education including: free access and open admissions to public community colleges and universities, technical education (technology, trade and agricultural), educational support programs, retroactive forgiveness of student loans, and support for lifetime learning programs.


https://policy.m4bl.org/reparations/

Well, let's see here: Free food, free land, free housing, free education, and a guaranteed income for life on top of it all, eh?

Hell, yeah! What's not to like, I ask ya?
.

McGentrix
 
  0  
Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 10:29 pm
@layman,
Good luck with that is all I'd have to say.
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:22 am
@layman,
I believe this would simply add to the many disincentives we have already placed in the paths of otherwise upwardly mobile black families. I believe Jason Reilly's prescription for "just leave us alone" is far better. We reward self-destructive behavior and impede self-reliance. What could be worse for anyone?
Blickers
 
  3  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:37 am
@georgeob1,
Quote george:
Quote:
I believe this would simply add to the many disincentives we have already placed in the paths of otherwise upwardly mobile black families.

And your idea of a good incentive for black families is to destroy the labor unions.
georgeob1
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:49 am
@Blickers,
Labor unions have been destroying themselves and the businesses they infest for the past several decades. They don't need any help from me. Without politically sponsored growth in government unionization they would bve in serious distress. Significantly those days appear to be ending. Finally in industrial Amerrica unions did more to keep black workers out than help them.
Udyr
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 02:36 am
Good luck
0 Replies
 
Blickers
 
  4  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:13 am
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Labor unions have been destroying themselves and the businesses they infest for the past several decades. They don't need any help from me.

And yet the greatest growth in living standards and GDP occurred when labor unions were strong, and the decline in the rise in living standards corresponds to the decline in the percentage of the work force which is unionized.

Labor unions are associated with increased living standards for the middle and working class, much to the conservatives' distress, because they raise workers' salaries, who then spend the extra money they get and produce more jobs for more people at higher wages. It's called the multiplier effect, and conservative, classical economists and their minions haven't figured that out yet. And the concept of labor unions keeping minority workers poor is just laughable, unions serve to raise the salaries especially of non-college educated workers, a class in which minorities are somewhat over-represented. Take away union jobs in such things as highway construction and Federal project construction, and black America is going to take a huge, huge hit.
Leadfoot
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:30 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
And yet the greatest growth in living standards and GDP occurred when labor unions were strong, and the decline in the rise in living standards corresponds to the decline in the percentage of the work force which is unionized.
That's called - Conflating things that are not necessarily related to each other.
Blickers
 
  4  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:57 am
@Leadfoot,
Nope. Just pointing out that when more people worked for unions, the country's economy grew faster. And the wealth of the country was more evenly concentrated, instead of going up,with markedly accelerating speed, to the top 0.1% of the country as it has been doing lately.
0 Replies
 
georgeob1
 
  -1  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 10:28 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
Labor unions have been destroying themselves and the businesses they infest for the past several decades. They don't need any help from me.

And yet the greatest growth in living standards and GDP occurred when labor unions were strong, and the decline in the rise in living standards corresponds to the decline in the percentage of the work force which is unionized.
Association and cauasation are not the same thing. The major growth of American industrialization (and that of other countries as well) was the real driver for the rise in living standards in this country. The labor unions that followed that growth were indeed a beneficial counterforce to some serious excesses and inequities that accompanyied that rapid growth. However as the biologists say "the poision is in the dose". A moderate level of unonization, focused initiaslly on the firms involved was indeed beneficial. However when the idealogical element of classs struggles was added , along with industry-wide monopolistic unions orgsnizations,seeking to control access to jobs emerged, it became a destructive force that eventually crippled and destroyed the industries it infested. That lesson is very clear in our history.

Blickers wrote:

Labor unions are associated with increased living standards for the middle and working class, much to the conservatives' distress, because they raise workers' salaries, who then spend the extra money they get and produce more jobs for more people at higher wages. It's called the multiplier effect, and conservative, classical economists and their minions haven't figured that out yet.
Competition for workers does indeed raise salaries and deliver the multiplier effect to which you referred. However, labor unions - as the high salaries now prevailing in the union-free Tech. sector amply demonstate - have nothing to do with that, and conservartive economists are well aware of both phenomena.
Blickers wrote:
And the concept of labor unions keeping minority workers poor is just laughable, unions serve to raise the salaries especially of non-college educated workers, a class in which minorities are somewhat over-represented. Take away union jobs in such things as highway construction and Federal project construction, and black America is going to take a huge, huge hit.
I believe you should get better informed about the history of labor unions, partiucularly the UAW in the early 20th century and that of the building & construction trade unions today. Blacks were only very reluctantly given access to UAW memberdship and that after a long struggle. Indeed the union worked to keep them out of the early auto industry. Today's situation varys a bit with locality, but the bulting & construction trades do indeed restrict membership through their monopolistic contracts ( sometimes Mafia connections) and government protections, and they do indeed limit the accrss of Blacks to such jobs. When is the last time you saw a Black carpenter or electrician??? I'll agree ther situation is quite different in other union groups.

Another phrase I like from biology; "Intelligent parasites don't kill their hosts." Contemporary labor unions are parasites, but not intelligent ones: they kill therir hosts -- as the situation in our public schools visibly attests.
cicerone imposter
 
  4  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 12:12 pm
@georgeob1,
Also, labor unions helped to increase pay and benefits for non-union workers.
georgeob1
 
  0  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Only in states with "anti freeloading" laws that subvert other laws prohibitinbg closed shops by requiring employees to pay dues to Unions they don't choose to join. In the end they all lose when the union infestation kills the company that employs them all.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:05 pm
@georgeob1,
That's not been my experience since I was a union member working at a cannery in Sacramento. Got good pay unloading cans from a train onto conveyer belt that went into the cannery. Also was a teamster working as a night biller for trucking companies while attending college.

georgeob1
 
  1  
Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't see any connection there with benefits to non union members.

In any event unions do extort high salaries and benefit levels from employers- no one argues that. However they also work hard to codify job routtines, thereby inhibiting innovsation and productivity enhancing improvements. More significantly they tend to destroy motivation and cohesiveness within the companies they infest. In the long run these fctors together tend to destroy the goose that lays the golden eggs.
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 06/19/2021 at 07:53:09