Language and Propaganda - an example

georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:20 am
@blatham,
I really got a laugh out of this one. It's Chicken Little announcing to all that the sky is falling in. Rarely is more hyperventillation wasted on something so small innocuous and contrived as this.

For an otherwise reasonable and discerning person, Blatham is sadly addicted to contrived conspiracy theories involving folks who don't share his prejudices. Alternatively it may be that he is just a cynical propagandist feeding **** to the credulous believers. Either way it doesn't pass the laugh test.

blatham wrote:

On another thread here, there was a brief discussion on trolls/trolling. Some of you will be familiar with the "gamergate" story. It's relevant. And it's ugly. I'm not going to do any further on this particular item but I'll toss it in here for educational purposes.
Quote:
...............Is this all sounding rather familiar now? Does it remind you of something? If you’re just discovering the world of angry, anonymous online dudes masquerading as victims – hi, come in. Some of us have been here for a while.

The similarities between Gamergate and the far-right online movement, the “alt-right”, are huge, startling and in no way a coincidence. After all, the culture war that began in games now has a senior representative in The White House. As a founder member and former executive chair of Brietbart News, Steve Bannon had a hand in creating media monster Milo Yiannopoulos, who built his fame and Twitter following by supporting and cheerleading Gamergate.
http://bit.ly/2fPmekg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:32 am
@blatham,
There is some very interesting research going on re the connections between the American MRA (men's rights activist community), gaming community and alt-right. It's been on the go for at least five years. The big common factor? white men.

Researchers in the gaming field predicted a Trump win.

__

on the language side of this, SJW (social justice warrior) came from the gaming world.

__

Fascinating area of research.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:35 am
@ehBeth,
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/how-the-alt-right-invaded-geek-culture-a7214906.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/15/alt-right-manosphere-mainstream-politics-breitbart

http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/08/26/mens-rights-activists-video-gaming-should-be-a-safe-space-for-male-nerds/

Mr. Trump and his team know how to use the language of oppressed white American male very well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:37 am
@georgeob1,
I'm not "that" interested in "alt-right" information, but I'm not sure why someone would thumb's down your post. Any hows, I see what's happening in our politics is what's going to happen regardless of my preferences. I voted and lost, and that's how **** happens.

Also, Politifact shows that Trump lies 97% of the time, and nobody seems to care. There's no way to educate the American voters when all they care for is "a white guy has to win."

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=PolitiFact+Trump+Lies+97%25&qpvt=politifact+trump+lies+97%25&FORM=EWRE
maporsche

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm not "that" interested in "alt-right" information, but I'm not sure why someone would thumb's down your post. Any hows, I see what's happening in our politics is what's going to happen regardless of my preferences. I voted and lost, and that's how **** happens.

I thumb down a post every time I see people bitching or commenting on someone's vote total. Including this one.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
Good. I upset somebody. LOL
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 11:48 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It is truly remarkable how little real information is required to persuade small minds that they actually know something that is quite obviouly beyond their reach.

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." (Mark Twain)

Or, as good ole Bertie kinda reworded it:

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” (Bertrand Russell)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 12:32 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

There is some very interesting research going on re the connections between the American MRA (men's rights activist community), gaming community and alt-right. It's been on the go for at least five years. The big common factor? white men.

Fascinating area of research.
What do you imagine is the significance of the connection about which all this research is being done? Are Black or Oriental men also subject to these untoward tendencies? How about GBT men? Canadians?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:22 pm
@georgeob1,
No idea yet. I'm following the research, not doing it. The big area of interest, for me, is the gaming community. While there are many women in the community (apparently 45 - 50%), the standards of the community are still set as if it's fully male. It's interesting stuff. Maybe concerning? I don't know.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:23 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

There is some very interesting research going on re the connections between the American MRA (men's rights activist community),

Canadians?

by definition, Canadians are not part of the American MRA community.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:03 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It is truly remarkable how little real information is required to persuade small minds that they actually know something that is quite obviouly beyond their reach.

That's just mean-minded, george. Please don't.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

You've clearly been more on top of this than I have. So has my daughter. I've mostly steered away out of time constraints and to follow up my own particular areas of interest. But it has been a seriously ugly and disheartening phenomenon.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:28 pm
Quote:
(CNN)Michael Flynn, Donald Trump's pick to be national security adviser, praised controversial online provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos one week after the election as "phenomenal" and one of the bravest people he's met.

Yiannopoulos, Breitbart's tech editor, has developed a following from the so-called alt-right, a movement associated with anti-Semitism and racism, by antagonizing progressives through his controversial statements and stunts. He set up a scholarship fund solely for white men, compared the Black Lives Matter movement to the Ku Klux Klan, and said that the United States has "a Muslim problem." He was permanently banned from Twitter earlier this year for inciting racist and sexist attacks on "Ghostbusters" actor Leslie Jones.
Speaking to a gathering of young conservatives at Trump's Washington hotel, Flynn said, "I was with Dinesh D'Souza last night, and the other, for the young audience here, for the young ones here, I mentioned it to a couple of you, I was also with Milo Yiannopoulos," Flynn said at the Young America's Foundation conference. "See, a lot of people in here won't know who he is. I tag him on Twitter, you know, because he's phenomenal individual, and I'm mentioning him tonight because he spoke alongside of me last night to another group of folks."
"He's definitely, he's one of the most different, one of the most brave people that I've ever met. We have different views on different things, but he is deeply, deeply conservative in his views about this country," the retired Army lieutenant general added. "So he is going around this country at the undergraduates, at our colleges and our universities and he fighting for you, for all of the people in here."
Calling all pussy-grabbers The John Birch crowd were virulently anti-Semitic and though that stuff got shoved down deep, it didn't go away and it is now rising again. The ADL, for example, have noticed who's coming at them presently and it is this "alt-right" contingent.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:42 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Calling all pussy-grabbers[/url] The John Birch crowd were virulently anti-Semitic and though that stuff got shoved down deep, it didn't go away and it is now rising again. The ADL, for example, have noticed who's coming at them presently and it is this "alt-right" contingent.

The quality of your invective is declining. This **** isn't even imaginative.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:44 pm
Quote:
Now Donald Trump’s first NASA transition team pick is Christopher Shank, a Hill staffer who has said he is unconvinced of a reality that is accepted by the vast majority of climate scientists: that humans are the primary driver of climate change. Shank previously worked for Rep. Lamar Smith, a Republican congressman who played a key role in dragging out debates on the basic nature of climate change at a time when the science is settled and action is urgent.

Shank has criticized the type of scientific data NASA regularly releases. As part of a panel in September 2015 at Arizona State University’s Consortium for Science, Policy, and Outcomes, he said, “The rhetoric that’s coming out, the hottest year in history, actually is not backed up by the science — or that the droughts, the fires, the hurricanes, etc., are caused by climate change, but it’s just weather.”

He shrugged off the severity of the climate crisis, criticizing “the rhetoric about, let’s call this climate pollution, which is CO2, which I’m emitting here today.”
the Intercept
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:51 pm
@ehBeth,
That's interesting. This is tangential but not completely -

I don't know the data, not presently being a data fiend, but as a sport fan and an early subscriber to Sports Illustrated, in the late fifties I think (I collected them for years and finally tossed them, too bad, they would be worth something now), I have decades long seen them as highly into boobie babe promotion. A lot of women watch american football. I'm hard to gross out, but as a strategy they seem to dismiss female readers for their site or magazine. Geez, they should at least add some men to the Extra Mustard category, that or stop the titillation section. Some male subscribers may be gay y'know, along with closeted football players. Idiots. I still look at the site since they're relatively smart re american football, but I've objected in some surveys.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:07 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:

Possibly true, but that doesn't change the case that Trump chief strategist Steve Bannon looks like he just came from being booked for sleeping overnight in somebody's doorway and is on his way to rehab.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stephen+K+Bannon+Former+ESPN+Analyst+Curt+GBOTkloowwBl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stephen+K+Bannon+SiriusXM+Coverage+Republican+p4SrjMYf6-ql.jpg

Check out the red nose in this photo. He looks like he carries a flask on him in case nothing else is immediately available.
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2873338.1479184189!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/655394717ki0036-siriusxm.jpg
georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:08 pm
@blatham,
I presume you have selected this material from some advocacy group based on your substantial knowledge of the climate science.

The fact is the urgency of action and the primacy of anthromorphic causes for the warming are indeed subjects of acknowledged uncertainty and validity among scientists. His beliefs are not heresy.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:18 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Possibly true, but that doesn't change the case that Trump chief strategist Steve Bannon looks like he just came from being booked for sleeping overnight in somebody's doorway and is on his way to rehab.

It's clear from the photos you pasted that he hadn't shaved in a couple of days and indeed looked a bit disheveled (actually a lot disheveled) . However, not knowing anything about the circumstances or much else about the man, I would hesitate to comment about his sanity or possible addictions.
roger

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 04:43 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah. Maybe he's just disrespectful of his audience.
0 Replies