How will Trump handle losing the election?

blatham

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:31 pm
"On Thursday, an Reuters/Ipsos survey found Trump only has a 1-point lead over Clinton among people who identified as evangelicals — a dramatic 11-point drop from where Trump stood with the same group in July. More polling is needed to examine exactly why this is, but a Marquette Law School survey of Wisconsin voters offered a clue: Last Thursday, 64 percent of likely evangelical voters favored Trump, with only 24 percent siding with Clinton. By Sunday — after the tapes dropped — only 47 percent of evangelicals were still sticking with Trump, with 31 percent now voicing support for Clinton." http://bit.ly/2dSIQSo

Assuming the polling here is sound, this will have significant electoral consequences for this election and quite possibly much longer.
roger

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:36 pm
@blatham,
Good news! Even evangelicals  can be significantly offended. Still, that probably means they will just stay home.
blatham

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:39 pm
I highly recommend this podcast with Josh Marshall and Jet Heer http://talkingpointsmemo.com/podcast/josh-marshall-show-episode-6-jeet-heer
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:49 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Good news! Even evangelicals  can be significantly offended. Still, that probably means they will just stay home.

It is good news. And I will be very much surprised if Republican voter turnout, broadly, is not much reduced this cycle.

As I've said earlier, I am very curious to see how this plays out post-election. How does the religious right contingent re-organize if it is able to do so at all? How does the GOP manage to corral all the activists/voters who Trump is helping to disaffect from the party? Can they do it? Will Trump, Bannon, Hannity, etc try to monetize this "movement" coalescing around their "establish GOP is evil" story (as Steve Schmidt predicts) thus effectively creating a third party splinter?

Another happy consequence in all this (at least so well as I can read it) is that the way things are going is not at all the way the Koch brothers' entities had hoped.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:49 pm
@blatham,
that's interesting

he lost 17%
she gained 7%

I guess roger's picked up the missing 10%
blatham

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:12 pm
@ehBeth,
I think that might be so.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:18 pm
@roger,
Quote roger:
Quote:

Thing is, evangelicals are to Republicans what the minority vote is to the Democrats. The party is not only counting on them not to vote for the opponent, they are counting on them to turn out in big numbers for their nominee. Only then does the party worry about picking up votes here and there from groups who aren't part of their base.

Reversing this in three weeks really would take an act of God.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:23 pm
@Blickers,
Since god doesn't act on our elections, does that mean the game is over?
Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Looks like it. If the evangelicals don't support the GOP nominee, he's not going to win. There aren't nearly enough Aryan Nations types to make up the difference.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:43 pm
@Blickers,
The majority of polls taken shows Clinton ahead by a long shot. This was long before Trump called "foul!"
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html#polls

Also, this one is comical: http://www.salon.com/2015/12/09/the_right_wing_medias_hilarious_response_to_donald_trumps_fascism_its_all_obamas_fault/
Blickers

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
True. Trump had already started going down Oct 2, but when the bus ride story broke Oct 7, the slide downhill became even steeper.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:59 pm
Voice Shaking, Michelle Obama Calls Trump Comments on Women ‘Intolerable’

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:00 pm
@DrewDad,
I'm dreading the next debate. It's been such an embarrassment, we should be cringing in shame, but some of us think it's the best thing since public hangings. Trump is an uber- vulgarian and his fans are like hyped nutcases from a Jerry Springer audience. Did you ever think in your lifetime we would see a candidate for President instigating violence against another candidate??? I have to ask Trump supporters, do you actually believe that Trump loves this country??? I'm worried for Hillary's physical safety this coming Wednesday. Personally I'd like to see a Secret Service Agent sitting next to her in case Trump takes a swing at her. Its not a crazy or irrational fear, he knows he is the leader of the scum suckers and they would loooove to see her injured, it's just their nature. If I hear one more of those sorry sons of bitches lament how our country isn't great anymore, my head will expload. The cretins who wallow in that crap that Trump spreads do not get to tell me what's great. If you admire a man who cheats contractors, who reneges on business deals, has the virtue of a pig, treats women and men with utter contempt and has been pawing his daughter like a creepy perve, Trumps your man.

I don't know what it will take to sober up some of our citizens, but I'm not ready to abandon all dignity and throw in the towel for a bloated carnival clown. And for those who still have to clinge to Bill Clinton is a rapist, do you mention it because you think Trump is a rapist and it's finally time to stop hating the rapists? I really wish this would all be over by Election Day, but it won't be. No matter who is elected, the faux news folks will be ramping up for 2020. I'll bet Michelle Obama doesn't get a minute of peace because all the X-Perts will be looking for the signal that she wants to run for President. I thought Access Hollywood was a stupid waste of time, but now, all our so-called news broadcasts are modeled after it.

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:13 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
It's been such an embarrassment, we should be cringing in shame, but some of us think it's the best thing since public hangings. Trump is an uber- vulgarian and his fans are like hyped nutcases from a Jerry Springer audience.

I think Trump is the worst choice for president ever next to Hillary, the eye opening thing is how close they are polling. What have we come to?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:15 pm
@glitterbag,
Most people in this country are just plain ignorant. Our country has been doing very well since Obama became our president. Here are the facts:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jan/21/barack-obama/obama-obama-2010-us-has-created-more-jobs-all-adva/
Obama has created more jobs than all the advanced countries of the world. Trump's premise that he's "going to make America great again" just proves how ignorant he and his followers are.
CLUE: AMERICA IS ALREADY GREAT! Unemployment is under 5%: Many economists call that full employment. When compared to any country with our kind of demographics and population, there's no comparison.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:17 pm
A brain-teaser for all of us: How can it be that Falwell and Perkins and Schlafly et al are blowing trumpets for Trump. "He will lead us out of the wilderness!", they suggest. That Trump lies, all the time, every day is of very little consequence at all. It's a brain teaser.

As we've understood for a long while now, for the right in America, "Thou shalt not bear false witness" is no longer operative. It is subsumed under another senior "value" -

"All prior commandments become profane if following them permits Satan to tempt you into the path of evil
(small print) - and we'll let you know when and where that is"
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 09:28 pm
@blatham,
That is nice. A lot of us are non Trump'

What do you want? You are trying to shame me or us somehow?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Relax OB, Blatham is talking about the so called religious leaders who have anguished about creeping vulgarity and sinfulness into their parishioners lives. Well, at least before they found out Trump is a foul mouthed pervert and serial molester and then suddenly they aren't so worried. They don't have to worry, Trump hates Hillary (big plus in evangelical circles) he gets red faced in his public appearances (big plus in same circles) and he threatens to put her in prison (be still my teeny tiny heart). He's not shaming you, his target is not on this forum.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
Trump is ridiculous, but Sec. Clinton isn't. Don't assume I think she would be a lousy choice for the office. I think she can do it in her sleep with one arm tied behind her back. My main concern was having to listen to all the stupids who will be hounding her for every minute she has ever lived and can't let go of that irrational hatred. But we are facing that bloated narcissist who only care about Donald, I don't think he even puts his children ahead of his ego. I know who I trust, and it ain't Trump.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:57 pm
How will he handle losing???? I don't really care as long as he loses.