A Madison gathering!

Swimpy

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 06:45 pm
Yeepers, patiodog! Madison is the coldest place in the universe. It's also just a hop, skip and a jump from Chicago. So can we pencil you in?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 06:57 pm
Nope, much to do in too little time (half of my spring break): look at law school, look at vet school, lobby biology dept. for admission, look at real estate, assess available food resources and dog runs -- yep, much to do (aside from which, the Chicago scars still haven't healed ;-) )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 07:58 pm
Hi, sorry I've been shirking my hostess duties:

I'm tryin' to figger out at this point:

1.) How many we could expect in March

2.) If Guth is definitely coming in March (some chance he won't)

3.) If it would be better to have it at a more summery point

4.) If there are enough people close by to justify 2 gatherings -- one when Guth is here for us locals, one later as a more destination-type thing.

(P.S., patiodog, Madison is cooooooooooooold, but yer gonna love it. Love it! It's Santa Cruz, refrigerated and cheaper.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 08:00 pm
(Oh and my Madison expertise is about 4 years old at this point, but deep, and I have a lot of moles, er, friends still there, so if you need anything, lemme know.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
Santa Cruz, refrigerated and cheaper -- without the mountains, the redwoods, the cheap local, er, produce, the weather, the beach...

We've got a resident guide there, but anything you think is a can't miss (besides Chicago, natch) you can toss on out.

Good luck with the hostessing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 10:33 am
Oh, there's produce. LOTsa produce. My next-door neighbors were a bit wanton in producing their produce and were busted, but there's produce up the wazoo.

And there are most definitely beaches -- it's an isthmus! (Say that 10 times fast.) The Memorial Union Terrace is among the most gorgeous places known to man.

http://www.union.wisc.edu/images/union.gifhttp://www.union.wisc.edu/images/terrace.gif

more Terrace views

I'll think about can't-misses. Tougher in March. (Summer in Madison is paradise, though, I'm tellin' ya. Hit the Farmer's Market, go down to the Terrace, or the Monona Terrace and hang out and enjoy the food. Bliss. Especially if you like sandwiches. And beer.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:23 am
(schniff)
http://santacruz.about.com/library/graphics/112000g.jpg
http://santacruz.about.com/library/graphics/Seacliff.JPG
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:26 am
Ok ok ok so Santa Cruz is nice. Rolling Eyes (And I am getting more interested in living there.) But prices, dollink, prices. Madison is soooooo much more affordable.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 12:47 pm
Yeah, so're Sacramento and Athens, which are the other realistic options on the table (though Athens is out barring some bizarre turn of events).

Anyway, I think I've been disruptive enough, 'specially as we've been through this one before.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:15 pm
You're right. Embarrassed

So, to bring things back on topic... these people have expressed interest so far:

Guthobla
Swimpy
sozobe
maxsdadeo

Somewhat possible:

eoe (when would you be willing to come?)
fishin' (what timing would make it right?)
roger (?)

Remote possibilities:

littlek (?)
patiodog
ehBeth (?)

Would love to hear from parentheses people. If we could make a date to get all of you here, (i.e. summer-ish) that would be great.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:18 pm
pdog - athens, GA for vet school? Or Athens, Greece for something else entirely?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:18 pm
Oh! I'm on the list! I don't think I can go....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:39 pm
(athens, GA, for vet school and law school (for the gf). i've gotta get a second bachelor's first -- or at least round out my general ed -- and UGA won't look at my application until June, by which time Wisc. and hopefully UC Davis will be demanding a commitment from the gf. i've been to the other, older Athens and don't feel any inclination to return, unless it be en route to the Cyclades...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:40 pm
Right, I saw your comments on the Western gathering thread about the difficulty of getting pet care. Sad Are there any circumstances under which you could, or just no way, no how?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:43 pm
UGA -- one of the more unfortunate acronyms.

http://excursia.com/destinations/USA/GA/athens/images/20010406/uga_vi_2LR.jpg

More on Uga (the dog).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:48 pm
Hmmm. Do they turn a badger loose on the sidelines in Madison?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 01:58 pm
Pdog - I used to bring my pets to the teaching hospital at UGA - I loved them there. I miss that vet practice. I think the school is one of the best in the country. I lived there for 5 years - any Qs?

Go Dawgs!

Soz, I'll give it some more thought and get back to you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:02 pm
No Qs yet. Will bug you if we go to check it out. (Georgia's a very long way from everyone and everything we know, both literally and figuratively...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:03 pm
But it's cheap to live there! Ok, if you have any Qs, pm me.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:05 pm
(Funny, nobody except my sister ever lobbies for Sacramento... ;-) )
0 Replies