The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 03:22 pm
Going to a pre-screening of Bee Nation on Thursday as a Hot Docs volunteer appreciation perk.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/hot-docs-lineup-1.4034930

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Witnessed a really freaky cool fever dream this afternoon.

My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea (2016)

I guarantee this hidden gem will make Emperor of Camp and cult director,John Waters' top 10 best films of 2017.
0 Replies

Joey Albinson

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 10:11 pm
@oralloy,
I just saw Great Wall starring Matt Damon and it was great.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:01 am
@Joey Albinson,
I just saw the latest "Jason Bourne" movie and it was jut rollercoaster of an action flick that exists TOTALLY without any reason to be seen.
It sucks a huuuuge wingwang
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:48 pm

fantastic movie

http://www.savvymom.ca/savvystories/ask-sexpert-film-dr-mahinder-watsa/

the director and producer were there for a Q&A. I'm glad I was in the house for that.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 08:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Bridget Jones Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl tackle the terrible female empowerment exploitation flick,
Angel's Revenge.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 May, 2017 09:15 am
Vancouver: No Fixed Address

Quote:
With average real estate prices nearing $900,000 in a city where minimum wage is less than $11 per hour, home ownership isn’t even a dream for many in Vancouver. For years, Canada’s national news has fixated on this specific market, trying to explain the dramatic value escalation that appears to be a bubble that won’t burst. Foreign ownership, lack of supply, greed and an inactive government have all been blamed. The things that make a city livable also make it desirable, and developers and investors prey upon those qualities in a free market that caters to the highest bidder. Director Charles Wilkinson (director of Haida Gwaii: On The Edge of the World—Hot Docs Best Canadian Feature 2015) moves beyond statistics and square footage to the people directly affected—including those with property and those without—in this candid and human portrayal of a city that continues to rise yet cannot meet demand.

you don't have to be a Canadian or Vancouverite to appreciate this as a film or documentary

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Eagle vs Shark (2007), tiny indie comedy by New Zealand director, Taika Waititi. Rating this one an 8/10. Loren Taylor as Lily stole the whole movie. So amazing, compassionate, and relatable of a character.

He makes weird, charming, wonderful, heartwarming humanist comedies. Should have been Oscar nominated for Hunt for the Wilderpeople, this year.

Getting his first chance at the big time, as Disney and Marvel have given him the helm to the highly anticipated Thor: Ragnarok this November.
Lash

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 07:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
I agree! This was nutty, quirky, funny, and lovely. The dude is some nutty savant. I'll come back with a title that he really owned.

Ah! People, Places, Things. Jermaine Clement rocked that gig, I thought.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:43 pm
@Lash,
Got a copy of The Wizard of Oz and watched it with the official Rifftrax
Just the Jokes commentary

A better fit than that synchronized Pink Floyd album hack.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Jun, 2017 07:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wonder Woman (2017), this afternoon. Fun superhero film that shows that shows a glimmer of promise that the upcoming Justice League isn't doomed to fail.

Tonight:
Rewatch of Doctor Strange (2016). Great introduction of magic into the MCEU.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2017 06:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
Rewatch of the stunningly gorgeous Irish animated Oscar nominated film:
The Secret of the Kells (2009)
http://imgur.com/8IiWgUg.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
The Beguiled (2017), 8/10;
The Big Sick (2017), 9/10.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 09:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Return of the Thin man, 1936, William Powell and Myrna Loy. Vintage and fun
panzade

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 09:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, and the most alcohol ever consumed in a movie Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 05:22 am
The Accountant with Ben Affleck on Netflix.

Loved the character and the story.
panzade

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:49 am
@Lash,
I recorded it. Might watch it tonight on the recommendations here.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:30 am
@tsarstepan,
My viewing of Doctor Strange was interrupted mid-point (Ok, the surgery scene was too odd to swallow) But I intend to have another go at it tonight.

It did have elements I enjoy. Dr. Strange's impossibly ego-centric, brilliant personality had me smirking appreciably through the first half. Tilda Swinton in the house.

I usually don't like fantasy, but this one kept my attention.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2017 04:43 pm
Rewatch of Moana (2016).

Another magnificent triumph for Disney. Brilliant songs, exquisite animation. Wicked fun story.

10/10.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 3 Jul, 2017 07:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
First rewatch of Titanic (1997). Still hate the movie with a passion. Glad I watched it with the Rifftrax commentary.