66

The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:25 am
@glitterbag,
I have seen so many productions of Macbeth I can recite it in my sleep.

The Polanski version is the default most use to teach, but I really liked Macbeth on the Estate which puts all the action in a council estate Duncan being the criminal mastermind.

I haven't seen the latest one, but Denzel Washington was very good in For Queen And Country where he nailed the accent spoken in that part of London.

Why do you allow the Scots to have a Scottisn accent but we English are told we have a British accent?

I have an English accent.

Scotland is British too.

And the way they speak in Glasgow is very different to Edinburgh or the Highlands or Dundee.

Robin Williams sounds like Robin Williams putting on a cod Scottish accent he doesn't sound Scottish.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:28 am
izzythepush wrote:

I have an English accent.

Scotland is British too.

You do not have an English accent, Izzy. The English speak English as it should be spoken. All other English speaking people who speak differently...have accents.

Oh, some English people do have accents. The difference between English as spoken by various areas of the country (or various areas of London) is huge.

One other thing. Robins was a comedian. His aim was to make people laugh...not to do an authentic Scotch accent.

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually my accent is classed as Estuary English, very different from the way posh people talk.

It how those of us wot live around the Thames Estuary talk like.

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
The differences are not as great as they once were, television and increased mobility has flattened a lot of the accents out.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:02 am
izzythepush wrote:

I've noticed that here in the States also, Izzy. There are politicians from southern states that have almost no accent at all. The New England accent has flattened also.

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Estuary English is recent too. Not so long ago the accents of Kent, Sussex, Surrey and Hampshire were all very different now it's all Estuary English.
snood

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:48 am
Do any of those dialects require one to point one’s pinky finger when having tea?
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:53 am
izzythepush wrote:

I have a good friend, a British woman (drop dead gorgeous), who speaks mostly with a Cockney accent. Most of our common friends just love her "accent"...me, not so much.

She auditioned for a part in a TV show requiring a British accent. The casting director told her, "If we were doing the East Enders, I might be able to use you, but..."
jcboy

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:54 am
@snood,
Like this? Razz

https://whatscookingamerica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AudreyHepburn-PinkiesUp-use.jpg

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 09:55 am
@Frank Apisa,
The East Enders?

It's East Enders, putting the in front of it makes you sound older than my grandmother.