The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2021 01:55 pm
@snood,
goddam, I thought I was the only one!!

The Ring, Star Wars nd several other of these Vast (or mayb just half vast)
epics that hve been mastred to be almost a "Testament" ,I find to be like German Cars --OVERENGINEERED
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2021 12:02 pm
I just saw The Burnt Orange Heresy, I read the book years ago, went on a bit of a binge with Willeford after having discovered Hoke Moseley.

It is a long time since I've read the book, but the film seems very different, and if anything the protagonist is darker in the film.

It was very good, even Mick Jagger gave a half decent performance as an art collector.

Donald Sutherland was very good.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2021 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Interesting labeling here. It seems that Donald Trump has gotten a lot younger.

It looks like an interesting movie, and I'll look it up.
Another art related movie that I liked with Donald Sutherland, although he just plays a small part, is, The Best Offer, starring Geoffrey Rush.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0747/3829/products/mL4552_1024x1024.jpg?v=1596632124
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2021 01:52 pm
@coluber2001,
The other Charles Willford film is Miami Blues starring a very young Alec Baldwin.

If I hadn't read the book I probably wouldn't have seen the film.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2021 11:56 am
The payback for watching Burnt Orange with my son was seeing CI Ape today.

It's awful, even for that sort of film, but if you want something you can leave little kids in front of unattended it will do.

No violence at all not even mild peril.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 06:25 am
@snood,
Snood I've found a cracker of a movie for you. A Christmas cracker.

It's hilarious, quirky, a real fun movie. Wonderful cast with lots and lots of great cameos

I only discovered it last week and loved it. Sure to watch it again.

The French Dispatch.

By the by I stand by Razz recommending The Wheel of Time, last episode of season 1 airs tomorrow so it's good for a binge watch now.
I thought it was excellent.
Bye Bye.

marcusess 84

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 06:17 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I completely agree with you about the Wheel of Time. Really interesting series. Already watched episode 8. I'm looking forward to the continuation of the series.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 09:06 am
I dove back into Wheel of time - I figure so many glowing testimonials can't be totally wrong.

You've all probably heard by now of the Netflix movie called Don't Look Up that came out last week. It's spectacular. An all-star cast led by Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Laurence and Meryl Streep.

It's about the end of the world - I don't think that's too much of a spoiler, because the trailers will tell you that much. I usually don't like it very much when they try to mix genres; I generally like my horror just scary and my drama dramatic and my comedy funny. But this movie mixes science fiction, drama, horror and dark comedy perfectly.

Let me know when you see it - if Meryl Streep and her son's characters remind you of anyone in real life.

The scariest thing about this movie to me was that it very likely depicts just exactly the way something like what happens in the film would really happen to us, our country and our world.

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 09:30 am
Don’t Look Up has been happening for decades. It’s reached a fever pitch now.

The examples some people are remarking on are both sides of the Covid / immunization coin, political correctness—> cancel culture—>loss of freedom of speech—> social media compliance with censorship, and climate change.

We’re there.

I hope that acting group will continue to support projects like this one.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 09:50 am
@snood,
Quote:
Let me know when you see it - if Meryl Streep and her son's characters remind you of anyone in real life.

Ehhh hmmm now who could that be. Smile

I watched the first half of it and then fell asleep. I'll probably watch the rest of it tonight. It's ok.

Tell you what isn't ok, to me anyway. The Matrix 4 resurrection. I was really disappointed, but maybe I was expecting to much.
Or maybe it just took me too long to figure out what was going on.
Another watch might help.
snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 10:50 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I liked Matrix 4 better than 2 and 3. At least by making a lot of the story take place inside the matrix, the movie felt a little more relatable. I never have really understood all the convolutions of the story, and I actually think the people that made the series intended it that way.
Have you ever talked to someone who’s a huge fan of the Matrix movies? Some of them get really sniffy at people who don’t “get” the “true meaning”.

They’re kind of funny in a pathetic, I-bet-someone-still-picks-out-their-clothes-for-them sort of way.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 12:28 pm
@snood,
Snood what do you reckon, it's getting close to pick your top 5 movies of the year and your top 5 tv series of the year.

Reveal them on or after New Years day.
snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 01:10 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Sounds like a plan!😁
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 03:52 pm
@snood,
I've 1 or 2 picked already.

See you Saturday.
snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 04:13 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Me, too. I think I know 3 of my TV shows already. Movies will be harder to sort. We had a pretty good year for movies!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 05:08 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Hey, a couple things…
Will your TVs shows and movies be current - like, aired in 2021? Or, can they be favorites that you just happened to watch this year?

Also, are you going to do a short explanatory blurb about what they are about, or just name ‘em, and leave it at that?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 06:02 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Will your TVs shows and movies be current - like, aired in 2021? Or, can they be favorites that you just happened to watch this year?

That's tricky, I'd say really they should be current. Like I find myself forever watching Friends mainly because it's constantly on but I'm not going to put that in my top 5. But you know what Snood just put in whatever you're happy with.

Quote:
Also, are you going to do a short explanatory blurb about what they are about, or just name ‘em, and leave it at that?

Again whatever you're happy with. I'll probably give a brief, very brief synopsis but if you want to just name them that's fine.

Open to anybody and everybody. I'd be interested to see if we agree on any.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2021 09:49 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
1. I saw "The Matrix 4 Resurrection" and I was very disappointed.

2. In my opinion, this movie on a scale of 1 to 10 was about a 3

3. I honestly can't think of anything that I actually like about this movie.

4. I also have a friend who told me that after the first thirty minutes he just turned it off because the movie was just that bad.

5. I myself did watch the whole movie.

6. Because I really enjoyed watching all of the other Matrix movies, I wanted to see this movie.

7. I personally would not recommend anyone to see this movie.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 01:19 am
I just watched a movie called 'Oldboy'.
It was the 2013 Spike Lee remake of the original Korean 2003 movie.

I had heard the plot outlined a few times over the year, and was never really interested enough to watch it. I thought it was just going to be shock and gore. It was quite a bit more than that.

Josh Brolin plays this asshat of a guy who finds himself waking up in what looks like a cheap hotel room, but ends up being a prison room.

The movie is about how he got to be there and why. There are a couple of twists - one of the twists is a big one. Plenty of violent action. I ended up enjoying the movie.
hightor

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2021 05:47 am
@snood,
Critics of “Don’t Look Up” Are Missing the Entire Point
0 Replies