The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

oralloy

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2021 09:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Speaking of all kinds of peaking violence, y-all know that theres a DEXTER Sequel and a SOPRANOS "Prequel" dont ya?

we have one prime channel (AMAZON) so we will now have to add HBO and one other in order to get both of these.
(We will, no doubt , just order up the two networks and keep it just long enough to catch the series.

I prefer to get my HBO and Showtime directly from HBO and Showtime apps instead of from a third party. I don't know if it makes an actual difference though.

I do have the PBS Masterpiece and PBS Documentary addons on my Prime account. They both have a lot of good stuff that isn't available on the PBS Passport app.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2021 12:56 pm
I am starting to binge watch, "The Twilight Zone". I had seen it when it first came out. I liked it, but I never could understand what the fuss was about.

I keep seeing lists which rate Twilight as one of the top TV shows EVER. Wow! are the critics right.The stories sure pack a punch.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 07:08 am
A Dangerous Method, 2011 film. (Caution this essay contains spoilers, nothing but spoilers.)

A young Carl Jung accepts Sabina Spielrein, who is having extreme emotional attacks, as a patient.

He then commits, what is now considered an unpardonable sin for psychiatrists. He at first is reluctant to have an affair with his patient but gives in after he is urged on by patient/psychoanalyst Otto Gross. Miss Spielrein recovers partially because of your Jung's analytic method and his physical method, so to speak.

Jung, by the way, is married to who is probably the most beautiful woman in the world, played by Canadian actress Sarah Gadon. But what she has in beauty she apparently lacks in passion. (As far as Sarah Gadon goes , every Canadian man is in love with her, and every Canadian woman hates her guts, and I'm probably not far off on that comment)

Counseled by Sigmund Freud, Jung breaks off the affair with Miss Spielrein but also, eventually, with Freud, over their differing views of psychiatry.

Sabina Spielrein becomes a doctor and a psychiatrist equaling both Freud and Jung with her Innovative techniques. She then recollaborates with Jung on a scientific paper and on the bed.

However, Dr. Spielrein gets married to the dismay of Jung who consoles himself by having an affair with another patient, Toni.

This is just prior to World War 1, and Jung is troubled by dreams of a huge tide of bodies being washed over Europe.

As far as I know the events in this movie are fairly faithful to historical facts.

Historically, Freud is run out of Europe by the Nazis, Dr. Spielrein is shot by the Nazis in Russia, and Carl Jung survives both his mistress, Toni, and his wife and dies in 1961.
snood

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 07:39 am
Just re-watched One Good Cop - one of my favorite Michael Keaton movies. I’m glad he’s had a long, busy career. Very good actor.

I recommend anyone who hasn’t seen it to check it out. A great drama.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 06:24 am
@coluber2001,
Otto Gross is portrayed in the film--A Dangerous Method--as a psychoanalyst who becomes a patient of Karl Jung. At the time Jung was having feelings and urges toward his patient, Sabina Spielrein, but was reluctant to act on it because of the unwritten rule constraining psychiatrist from having relationships with their patients. Otto Gross openly stated with perfect confidence that part of the therapy as he practiced it was having a sexual relationship with his patients.

The complete confidence of Gross and his recommendation that Jung pursue the affair convinced him to proceed.

Because he openly contradicted the tacit taboo of psychiatrists concerning relationships with their patients, Otto Gross was rejected by and ostracized from their professional community.

I've read that Otto Gross ended up a pauper, penniless and on the streets in the cold and the rain, literally starving. He contracted pneumonia and died.

Bear in mind that I know virtually nothing about Sigmund Freud, Karl Jung, or Otto Gross other than what was portrayed in the film. That the film claimed that events in it were based on historical reality means nothing. So you have to take the film with a grain of salt. It condenses the lives of these people into one and a half hours of drama. That's it. But it does pique your curiosity.
0 Replies

joshuayuno

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 03:30 am
@tsarstepan,
Caught Eternals (2021) last weekend at the Theater and it was alright, the CGI was wonderfully done and great performance from the cast but felt like the movie was moving a little slow and the storyline could have been better.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 09:34 am
Just watched King Richard, a movie about Richard Williams and Serena and Venus Williams, and the very compelling story of how they rose to dizzying heights, from beginnings in Compton.
Will Smith is getting (I think deserved) Oscar buzz for his role as the plain-spoken dad with unshakable vision and determination.
I got a lot of feels from watching this movie.
Foremost among all the feels was pride.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2021 06:12 pm
A Simple Plan 1998

Three buddies in a small town discover a small plane wrecked in a snow drift containing 4 million dollars. They decide to keep it causing all sorts of problems. They is a lot of violence, not good guys against bad guys stuff, but needless, stupid, impulsive deaths. Still, it's worthwhile watching.
snood

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 03:44 am
@coluber2001,
Billy Bob Thornton is a fricking genius.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 08:45 pm
Great Expectations 1998

A modern retelling of the Dickens novel.
Ethan Hawke as Finn (Pip), Chris Cooper as Joe, Gwyneth Paltrow as Estella, Robert De Niro as the convict.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/2/Open/EU%20VOD%20Releases/Great%20Expectations/_derived_jpg_q90_600x800_m0/Great_Expectations4.jpg?partner=allmovie_soap
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2021 03:36 pm
‘Bruised’ is the title of the new film on Netflix directed by and starring Halle Berry. It’s about the journey back to life for a former UFC fighter who is homeless, struggling with alcoholism and basically hopeless.
The physicality of the role of ‘Jackie Justice’ would be amazing for any actress doing all their own stunts. But then you realize Ms Berry is 55 years old, and it’s even more amazing.
Very emotionally satisfying movie.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 11:55 am
Maudie 2016

It's about a woman in Nova Scotia who becomes a housekeeper to a curmudgeon and develops a talent for folk art. It really is worthwhile watching for its portrayal of basic humanity.

Sally Hawkins plays Maudie, an actress I've only known from Paddington, a movie about a talking bear.

https://www.canadianinquirer.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MaudieFacebook.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2021 10:51 am
Blue Jasmine 2013

Cate Blanchett plays a wealthy socialite who falls on hard times and is forced to move in with her economically low to low-middle class sister played by Sally Hawkins. The Cate Blanchett character is emotionally unstable exaggerated by her present situation.

Both Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins were nominated for best actress and best supporting actress respectively for the Academy Awards. Cate Blanchett won.

This is a Woody Allen movie, probably one of his best, which I missed when it came out. It's primarily a comedy but also has a lot of drama and even tragedy. It's what you would expect in a Woody Allen movie.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 06:41 am
Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 2 is available on Netflix. Hawkeye (which is boring) has 3 episodes left on Disney Plus. The final season of The Expanse starts this Friday on Prime Video. The Witcher Season 2 (Netflix), The Grand Tour: Carnage A Trois (Prime Video), and Spider-Man: No Way Home (theaters) release on 12/17. The Matrix Resurrections will be in theaters and on HBO Max 12/22. And The Book of Boba Fett debuts 12/29 on Disney Plus.
Woo nerd content! Razz
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 09:14 am
@coluber2001,
I strained to remember that one but it came back. That was a really good one.an she was really great in it. I’ll look for her in others now. I sooooo disliked The Shape of Water but it wasn’t her fault. She was top notch.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 09:34 am
Season 6 of Peaky Blinders is out early next year. Teasers say Alfie Solomons will be in it, and he's my favourite character.
MikeTK

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 10:27 am
Dune. Really liked it
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 12:59 pm
One of the best series I've recently seen is, Search Party, about four youngish people with very different and distinct personalities, who get involved in searching for a missing woman.

The two themes of the show might be: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions;" and "Oh what a tangled web we weave...."

They innocently start off on the search, but things start to go wrong, and it's as if they get stuck in quicksand and the more they struggle the worse it becomes. I'm on the second season, so I don't know how it's going to turn out, but it's worth watching.

https://www.goldderby.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/search-party-logo-tbs.jpg?w=620&h=360&crop=1

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 01:48 pm
The Power of the Dog. It's a sort of leisurely paced period piece - and then it gets a little strange.
Benjamin Cumberbatch is great; Kirsten Dunst is, too.
There's a twist that changes everything.

https://i.imgur.com/uWxFtiz.jpg
engineer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 02:27 pm
Watched "King Richard" last night, great movie. Of course I'm a tennis fan in general and a fan of Serena Williams in particular so I was a friendly audience.