The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2021 12:59 am
@Rebelofnj,
We won’t be watching it. The Kid has coulrophobia and if Pennywise is in the audience that makes it a no go.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2021 10:14 pm
@izzythepush,
We watched a Peacock release called "Dr. Death", it's based on the true story of Dr. Christopher Duntsch who botched a number of surgeries causing the death or grievous injury to many patients who trusted him with their care. It's very unsettling, and makes you angry. I loved Alec Baldwin and Christian Slater as the doctors who took him down, they played characters that you normally don't see them play.

I wouldn't recommend it for children.
snood

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 02:40 am
@glitterbag,
I would watch it if it was a movie, but finding out that it’s a whole series I’m not sure if I will.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 11:33 am
@snood,
It's unsettling, not a pretty picture about the profit motive in medicine.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 12:16 pm
I watched a fairly old one last night. XXY. About a fifteen year old born with both male and female organs. With English subtitles. One of the central questions is whether or not an operation will be performed. It's being left up to the child to decide. It seems that the male side may be winning, since the hormones and such that keep the masculine traits down have been discarded. Pretty graphic.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2021 08:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I saw Space Jam: A New Legacy

It was fine

Saw this last night at a friend's outdoor movie night. Fine about covers it. The best thing is that it was a good change from Scooby Doo, which we'd watched the previous two nights.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2021 09:22 pm
I finally caught Clockwork Orange. If I'd known in advance I likely wouldn't have invested the time.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 08:09 pm
Earlier this afternoon:
Pig (2021), 9/10. Nicholas Cage - as a hermit/truffle hunter whose truffle pig is stolen - better be in next year's Oscar race. This film, no doubt, will thrive in next year's Indie Spirit Awards as well. I almost missed the 5 PM screening as I poorly timed a batch of laundry in the clothes dryer.

Tonight:
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), (rewatch). Still a 10/10.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I finally caught Clockwork Orange. If I'd known in advance I likely wouldn't have invested the time.

My husband and his brother think this film is a masterpiece.....I hated it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 08:22 pm
@glitterbag,
I expected a masterpiece, I nearly cut it off a number of times.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2021 12:43 pm
Untold: Malice at the Palace is a new Netflix special. It tells in great detail, with context added, and never-before seen video and interviews with the participants (fans included) the story of the worst melee ever during an NBA game.

It’s riveting. I won’t get into everything the movie stirred up in me; I’ll just say it’s a great documentary that I recommend.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2021 03:03 pm
After having watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 and the incidental portrayal of Bobby Seale, one of the founders of the Black Panther Party, we decided to watch Judas and the Black Messiah, which dramatizes the killing of Fred Hampton, leader of the Chicago chapter of the Black Panther Party, by law enforcement. They're both pretty good docudramas.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2021 03:12 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

My husband and his brother think this film is a masterpiece.....I hated it.

Heh, in high school and college friends and I would reenact the memorable scenes trying to do our best Brit accents. I had a friend who could nail Dim's accent and voice, "Doobidoob. A bit tired, maybe. Best not to say more. Bedways is rightways now, so best we go homeways and get a bit of spatchka. Right, right?"
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2021 03:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
It was banned over here when I was at secondary school.

I saw a really shitty pirate video in the late 80s which cut off towards the end.

I saw a stage version at the Barbican performed by the RSC before I finally saw the full film after Kubrick died.
0 Replies

mabma

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2021 12:50 pm
Monday afternoon, I rushed out from work and caught The Disaster Artist (2017). An adaptation of a memoir co-written by Greg Sestero, an actor who produced and performed in the infamous Tommy Wisseau cult film, The Room (2003). Basically the book and the movie revolve around how the "worst movie ever made" was made.

Directed and starred by Oscar nominated actor, James Franco. Though still good for a few moments, it's a disappointment in terms of the shortcuts and historical revisions (for narrative sake) it chooses.

Rated 7/10.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:41 pm
Netflix Saves Manifest,’ Orders Super-Sized 4th and Final Season.

Published AUGUST 28, 2021

Quote:
The streamer has stepped up and rescued NBC's mystery drama with a 20-episode order.

Netflix has ordered a fourth — and final — season of the beleaguered mystery drama from Warner Bros. Television. The order consists of 20 episodes, which will make it the longest season of the show yet.

“What started years ago as a flight of fancy deep in my imagination has evolved into the jet engine journey of a lifetime,” said showrunner Jeff Rake. “Never in my wildest dreams could I have envisioned the worldwide outpouring of love and support for this story, its characters, and the team who work so hard to bring it all to life. That we will be able to reward the fans with the ending they deserve moves me to no end. On behalf of the cast, the crew, the writers, directors, and producers, thank you to Netflix, to Warner Bros., and of course to the fans. You did this.”

The announcement was made at 8:28 a.m. PST on Saturday, a play on the show’s fateful Flight 828.

The order marks a remarkable turnaround for the series which aired three seasons on NBC and then was canceled by the network in May. Warner Bros. tried shopping the show, but initially to no avail. But the ongoing popularity of earlier seasons on Netflix, combined with an active fan campaign on social media, helped keep the show alive and a deal was eventually struck.

“Since its premiere on Netflix in June, Manifest has proven very popular with our members,” said Bela Bajaria, Netflix head of global TV. “Jeff Rake and his team have crafted a beguiling mystery that has viewers around the world on the edge of their seats and believing again in second chances, and we’re thrilled that they will bring fans some closure with this final super-sized season.”

The deal also includes season three of the series coming to Netflix as well.

Insiders note, however, that while the new order is called one season for production purposes, the episodes might not all be released at the same time — so they might be split into multiple release periods while technically being called one season. Previous seasons ranged from 13 to 16 episodes.

Manifest is about a plane that mysteriously lands years after takeoff and its passengers return to a world that has moved on without them. It stars Melissa Roxburgh, Josh Dallas and Athena Karkanis.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-manifest-season-4-1235004623/
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 03:45 pm
1. I was really pissed when I had heard that NBC had cancelled 'Manifest'

2. Now, I am very happy that the tv series 'Manifest' has been picked up by Netflix for twenty more episodes.

3. I enjoy watching this tv series
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2021 08:08 pm
@Real Music,
watched "The Old Guard" on Netflix, an above average shoot em up. the premise is a group of four immortal warriors who don't die when they are shot to bits, but regenerate themselves again and agin for hundreds of years, fighting for whatr they think is the good and right, which os often murky. charlize theronone of their number a few centuries ago was accused of witchcraft, encased in an iron cage and theown into the sea, where she has drowned, regenerated, and since she's underwater, died by drowning again and again for centuriies, typical of the film
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 07:30 am
About a week ago, I saw Reminiscence on HBO MAX.

It was a noir style story set in a future where the coastal cities are flooded and machines were made that can read dreams.

It was interesting but the story was disappointing. There were too many coincidences to be happening just to keep the story forward, and the main villain's motives were petty to say the least. The state of the world (the flooded parts of Miami were under rule of a land baron) and the backstory (Hugh Jackman's character is a veteran of a border war with Mexico) was much more interesting.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 10:25 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
ooooh, A&W
didn't know they were still in business.

They are.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, 3D

Stopped at an A&W restaurant for a root beer float afterward. (This is a regular occurrence for me whenever I travel to a city to see a movie.)

For some reason most theaters are no longer doing 3D these days, so I have to go to a city to see 3D anymore.

Maybe it's because most theaters don't want the hassle of sterilizing 3D glasses for Covid?? Just guessing.
0 Replies