The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

coluber2001

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 04:59 pm
Brave Dave is a web designer from England who comes to Canada and hops freight trains from Montreal to Vancouver. This is the first of 4 videos totaling over 2 hours. This is adventure, danger, and suspense all from the comfort of your couch with a live spontaneity not possible in fictional movies.

Rail hopping or freight hopping is a dangerous, illegal activity engaged in by a number of people for adventure, as a way of life, or economy. It takes intricate planning, electronic equipment, skill, luck, fortitude, and a sense of derring-do to accomplish. People have lost their lives in this activity, to wit, one famous hobo named Jim Stobie, aka Stobe the Hobo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hUg0jFO7NTo&t=957s
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 05:45 pm
@coluber2001,
Well all I can say is, no accounting for taste.
Where one person sees a brave adventurer’s chronicles, another might see a grown man broadcasting a tedious, prolonged juvenile prank.

To each their own.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 06:53 pm
@snood,
Still, it's better than most of what you'll get from television or movies.
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 07:00 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

Still, it's better than most of what you'll get from television or movies.

Opinions and assholes, my man. Everyone’s got one.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 07:30 pm
@snood,
Wow! How original. I've never heard that one before except maybe a thousand times in bad movies and television.
snood

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 07:35 pm
@coluber2001,
Oh, darn. And I was so counting on impressing you.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 02:52 pm
Saw "The Woman in the Window" on Netflix. Short review: it's a terrible Rear Window ripoff.

Longer review: it's about a agoraphobic woman who witnesses a possible murder across the street. It would have been a better film if it made better use of the possible hallucinations her medication could give her or better explain why some characters change drastically.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 03:10 pm
Just saw the new Jason Statham movie The Wrath of Man.

Very Jason Statham-y
Very wrath-y

Great entertainment. Didn’t much like all the flashbacks and flash forwards. Made it a little tricky to follow.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 03:12 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Didn't much like all the flashbacks and flash forwards. Made it a little tricky to follow.

You might not like Tenet then.
snood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 03:20 pm
@oralloy,
I’m not planning on watching that. For one thing I think John David Washington is a horrible actor. And I’ve heard too many people saying they had to watch it twice to get it, and even then still found some things confusing.
I don’t mind a few twists and turns, but I don’t find movies entertaining if you need a damn diagram to watch them.

It’s why I didn’t care for Inception.
oralloy

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 03:55 pm
@snood,
Diagrams are a definite help when watching Tenet. It's sort of a time travel movie.

But people don't just teleport to the time period they want to go to like in a typical time travel movie.

Rather, people change the direction that they go through time, but they flow through time at the same rate.

That probably doesn't make sense, but I think an example can clarify the concept.

Let's say two people going opposite directions through time pass each other on New Years Eve 1995.

After living for a year, the guy going forward in time will reach New Years Eve 1996.

After living for a year, the guy going backwards in time will reach New Years Eve 1994.

So if you want to go backwards in time to 50 years ago, you have to actually live for 50 years while you are going backwards in time, watching the world slowly unwind like a movie being played backwards.

If you get in a gun fight with someone going the opposite direction through time as you're currently going, the first thing you see are bullet holes. Then you see bullets leaping from those holes and into the gun of the guy who is shooting at you.

From his perspective he is firing the gun at you. From your perspective he is unfiring the gun.

So anyway, they have some complicated battles where both sides can come back and participate in the same fight over and over again by reversing their direction through time after the battle is over. Some of the people in the fight are doing everything normally, and others in the fight are doing everything backwards. And some of the people in the fight are actually the same person.

And since the main character also takes multiple passes at some of these fights, some of the fights you get to see run through from both directions, and from different perspectives because he is in a different spot each time he goes back into the battle.

It's these complicated battles that people are making diagrams to explain.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 04:01 pm
@snood,
Tenet isn't too bad if people want to see some rather unique action scenes, like the reverse fight scene.

But the audio mixing is absolutely terrible which only adds to the confusion of what the characters are saying. Add in the fact that a good chunk of the dialogue is spoken through static radio and explosions, and it's a acoustic mess.
snood

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2021 04:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Like I said, not worth my time, effort or money.

But it seems to have found a fan in Oralloy.

To each their own, as it’s said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 09:46 pm
Just watched The Terminal. I like Tom Hanks in roles like this. He has a number of good films, my favorites being Green Mile, Castaway, Captain Phillips, and Road to Perdition. I didn't like some of his earlier films, such as Forest Gump and Big.
Lash

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 06:08 pm
The Little Things. Netflix. Denzel is still very watchable to me. Two fantastic actors were tapped for supporting roles with varying results.

I have to say my opinion is that Jared Leto surpassed his role, but Rami Malek — *brilliant* in the Freddy Mercury biopic — couldn’t seem to find his footing with his conflicted character.

I thought the plot was pretty good; the direction, not quite as good.

So, not glowing, huh? Haha.
Just glad to see big D on the screen again. Not a bad way to spend a few hours.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 12:22 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Just watched The Terminal. I like Tom Hanks in roles like this. He has a number of good films, my favorites being Green Mile, Castaway, Captain Phillips, and Road to Perdition. I didn't like some of his earlier films, such as Forest Gump and Big.

Loved the Green Mile, Captain Phillips and Road to Perdition......didn't see Castaway.....probably won't see it anytime soon.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 06:29 am
@glitterbag,
I have a Wilson ball, with the handprint face on it, bought when the movie was going around.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 06:34 am
@glitterbag,
Probably my favorite Tom Hanks movies are Philadelphia and Searching for Private Ryan.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 06:45 am
@snood,
I haven't seen those.
snood

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 07:26 am
@edgarblythe,
Ed, I don’t want to sound hyperbolic, but RENT IT, BUY IT, GO SEE IT AT A FRIEND’S HOUSE, BUT YOU MUST SEE PHILIDELPHIA!!

Seriously, Hanks won an Oscar and Denzel should have, as well. It is an absolute gem of a movie. I’ve probably seen it ten times and it is moving every time.