The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

glitterbag

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2021 10:06 pm
@snood,
We watched Without Remorse tonight, it was disappointing. It was chock full of familiar scenarios from previous revenge flicks and used some terminology I found awkward to the ear. Rodney started chuckling during the escape scene, said it reminded him of training exercises he participated in while he was in the Army....and when the Lt. Commander yells "we've got to frag that sniper" that struck me as odd. I've never been in combat so I don't have 'hot zone' experience but it just seemed as if they paired up a bunch of 'military' sounding words in an attempt to sound 'military', but it fell a little flat.

I can't really fault the actors, but whoever wrote the dialogue borrowed a ton of lines from older flicks and was too lazy to adapt them for a new flick. I have a few other observations, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Its very possible this will be brand new to many younger viewers.....I'm old, have seen a ton of movies.
oralloy

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:39 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Went to see 'Nobody' - new movie starring Bob Odenkirk as an everyman with some hidden talents. Not going to spoil it, but I'll tell you that it is not like anything Odenkirk has done before,

What's this nonsense about a 4.9 liter V8???

Do the morons who made the movie even know the difference between a car tire and a steering wheel?

snood wrote:
and it's produced by the same guys who made the John Wick movies.

That answers that question. The 4.9 liter V8 debacle comes from the same dunces who brought us the BOSS 429 debacle.

No. The morons who made the movie don't even know the difference between a car tire and a steering wheel.

Oh, and I hope the guy's neighbor sues him for stealing his car and wrecking it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:37 pm
I finally got around to 2012. Mostly good action film.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 06:56 am
Went to see A Quiet Place 2 in the theater.
Pretty good crowd present, for a change. Good sequel - a lot of ‘jump out of your chair’ scares. Which made it fun watching it with other people being scared at the same times.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 07:08 am
I tried watching something yesterday on Netflix. I've already forgotten the title. Soldiers soldiering. Early scene of a sniper taking someone out. Nude sex scenes. They go off to fight alien monsters in the desert. I fell asleep at some point.
snood

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Sounds like maybe Army of the Dead
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:14 am
@oralloy,
what's yer point about a 4.9 v-8 many are still on the road and are popular swappin engines.

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:19 am
@farmerman,
No such car was ever on the road. No MOPAR was ever sold with any such engine.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:25 am
@oralloy,
pre "North STar days", I believe that Caddys had a 4.9L v-8.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:35 am
@farmerman,
Maybe so, but Cadillacs aren't MOPARs. That's a GM car.

The car in question was a 1972 Dodge Challenger, MOPAR's version of the pony car.

The Plymouth version of the same platform was the more famous 'Cuda.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 08:53 am
@oralloy,
well, you made a statement that no 4.9's were made the Dodge'Plymoth was just an example.
Electric cars eventually shall rule(except for "yellow iron") and all you luddites will be collecting carburators on the wall and wondering what happened.
Mechanical devices are sooo inefficient while electrochemistry is seeing its dawn
(Sorry eb, my last post to this communicant on his subject)

Watched LilliHammer--Started off ok but got stupider and stupider after 3 episodes.

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 09:00 am
@farmerman,
A Cadillac is not an example of a 1972 Dodge Challenger.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 09:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Electric cars eventually shall rule (except for "yellow iron") and all you luddites will be collecting carburators on the wall and wondering what happened.
Mechanical devices are sooo inefficient while electrochemistry is seeing its dawn

Where are you going to get the electricity to charge all of these electric cars?
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:01 pm
@oralloy,
solar's dropped around 90% in the last couple years, battery storage is develokping apace. wind poser's getting cheaper too, water, geothermal.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:06 pm
@oralloy,
as i remember, most of the world's big hyrdro power [projects are in china or russis. you're
re clingmg t0 obsolrescemt tecvhnology/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 05:17 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Where are you going to get the electricity to charge all of these electric cars?
By variou estimates, the sun provides us with 5 K times th actual e- we need.

In the early time we will utilize fossil fuels and fission and fusion as step energy sources .till were engineering mature Think of all the googalwatts just in space as we create collection wheels .

Powering ground vehicles in the future will always be a few steps ahead of what we have now.

BillRM

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 06:05 pm
@glitterbag,
The book by Tom Clancy was amazing but the movie did not follow the book in any way or in any manner.

Shame on them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 06:13 pm
I was not a fan of the original Top Gun movie, but I saw the trailer for the new Top Gun Maverick, and I may go see that one when it comes out.

I also want to see a new Sci-fi movie called Infinite coming out June 4th. It’s made by the same folks who did Training Day and stars Mark Wahlberg as this guy who’s been having hallucinations but it turn out they are actual memories from past lives- he keeps dying and coming back, and he’s got “abilities”.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 10:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
solar's dropped around 90% in the last couple years, battery storage is developing apace. wind poser's getting cheaper too, water, geothermal.

Pie in the sky predictions don't produce electricity.

Right now renewables aren't even able to handle all of our existing power generation needs.

If we transition over to electric cars, our power generation needs will more than double over today.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 10:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
In the early time we will utilize fossil fuels and fission and fusion as step energy sources.

I don't see nuclear expanding unless the environmentalists are crushed.

I don't see fracked natural gas expanding unless the environmentalists are crushed.

So, a bunch more coal-fired power plants?

farmerman wrote:
till were engineering mature Think of all the googalwatts just in space as we create collection wheels.

I'm all for it. But that's the future, not today.
0 Replies