53

The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

1  
Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 06:28 pm
We watched 'Ma Rainey's Black Bottom' last week. It was intense, striking performances by Chadwick Boseman, Glynn Turman and Viola Davis. I would have loved to see more of Ma, but all together it was fab.
snood

1  
Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 06:34 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

That was one of Boseman’s last performances. Stage 4 colon cancer. Hardly anyone knew he was undergoing surgeries and chemotherapy. That was an exceptional young man.

1  
Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 06:45 pm
@snood,
Yes, he was extremely talented and his energy was over the top.
snood

1  
Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 08:32 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Did you see him as Jackie Robinson in ‘42’? That’s when I became a fan.

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 04:09 am
@snood,
3 Days To Kill, a bit of dark humor and a severe body count. TWO BOWLS A BUTTERED POP-CORN

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 07:36 am
izzythepush wrote:

I saw Death of Stalin yesterday, superb.

Michael Palin was a wonderfully pythonesque Molotov, and Paul Whitehouse was Paul Whitehouse, very funny.

One of the few movies I watched more than one time. I'da bet it would be impossible to satirize something like the death of Stalin...but they did a spectacular job.

I was a big fan of Rupert Friend's Quinn on Homeland...and I enjoyed his portrayal of Stalin's son, Vasily.

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 07:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
I felt sorry when Beria got shot but then I looked him up on Wikipedia and he was a monster.

At one of the conferences Stalin introduced him to Roosevelt as his Himmler, and he wasn’t far off.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 07:53 am
izzythepush wrote:

Yeah. I lived through lots of that stuff...so I was aware of Beria.

He was dreaded by the entire of the Communist hierarchy.

1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 07:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
One of the Bernie Gunther books is about the Katyn massacre, and Beria was the main architect of that atrocity.

2  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 01:18 pm
The Polish film industry (don't know what else to call it) made a film about the massacre, but I've never seen it. I doubt it has ever been released in English, but hopefully I can find one with English subtitles.

2  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 01:43 pm
Talking about the death of Stalin movie, so much of the dialogue appeared to be just ordinary problem solving, office politics and routine chit chat, and then somebody would be brutally eliminated and no one would even raise an eyebrow.

-1  
Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 02:20 pm
@glitterbag,
It was the clinging to procedure and a need for protocol to appear legitimate, which after Stalin had done whatever he wanted seems so ironic.

As always it was the general who held the power, once Zhukov arrived it was game over.

snood

1  
Reply Sun 10 Jan, 2021 06:27 am
Just saw Let Him Go with Kevin Costner and Diane Lane. Set in the 1960’s, it’s the story of a couple of grandparents who go to rescue their grandson from an evil family/clan. Very well done - understated acting by two Oscar winners. The violence is very graphic but also very well done and believable. Man, this is one creepy-evil family.

snood

1  
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 07:56 am
Tried to watch The Call of the Wild, the recent version with Harrison Ford.
I got about ten minutes into it when I realized the whole movie was going to be focused on a CGI generated dog, complete with cute facial expressions and supernatural physical abilities. I maybe could have hung in there (I had heard it was good entertainment), but the cartoon dog was just too hard to get past.

1  
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 10:16 am
I’ve just watched a TV series called The Third Day, starring Jude Law.

It’s very good, he is drawn to this mysterious island off the coast of Essex.

It’s similar to Lindisfarne in Northumberland in that it’s only an island during high tide, at low tide you can drive to the mainland over the causeway.

Lots of shades of the Wicker Man, worth a look.

1  
Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2021 01:09 pm
Because Wonder Woman 1984 is a hot, muddled overly-long mess.

snood

1  
Reply Sat 16 Jan, 2021 07:28 am
I never thought I’d see a zero stars movie. Until now, probably the worst movie I’d ever seen I would have rated as two stars.

But the movie An Imperfect Murder, starring Sienna Miller and Alec Baldwin, is so bad I feel like I should get some stars awarded to ME - just for watching it. They try to tell a story about a murder in constant flashbacks, narration, and a bunch of barely-related scenes where the lead character is having conversations that I guess are supposed to give you insights into her mind.

It’s SO bad. I saw it for free and still feel like I need a refund. BAD.