The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 09:45 am
I’ve just watched The Limehouse Golem, really good drama about a policeman investigating a serial killer while a woman is on trial for poisoning her husband.

Very atmospheric depiction of Victorian London’s East End with lots of twists and very fine acting.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 10:04 am
@izzythepush,
Is the ironic twist of the film, that the supernatural titular golem has scurvy?
coluber2001

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 11:59 am
One of the funniest TV series I've seen lately is Wellington Paranormal, a New Zealand production. It's a cross between Reno 911 and the X-Files. Officers Minogue and O'Leary investigate various paranormal occurrences and remain humorously under-reactive when confronting possessed people (and a dog), werewolves, zombies, aliens on a farm harvesting crop circles, and ghosts. Unfortunately, it's not generally available. I stumbled on it on a free movie app.

https://resources.stuff.co.nz/content/dam/images/1/r/d/p/w/a/image.related.StuffLandscapeSixteenByNine.710x400.1rdot7.png/1534894721680.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:57 pm
@coluber2001,
They look very much like the police officers in the wonderful film, What We Do In The Shadows. It’s also a tv series.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 12:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
The golem is just a serial killer name, it’s not a real golem.

That would be a good twist though.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 01:04 pm
@izzythepush,
They're both directed by Taika Waititi who directed Jojo Rabbit.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 01:07 pm
@coluber2001,
It figures, both the film and tv series are very good.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
...The Limehouse Golem...

That would be a good twist though.

Shouldn't you be using that for your standup gigs?

...gave me a chuckle (which is sorely needed after reading the news)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Not many venues open right now.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:56 pm
@izzythepush,
So I've heard and read.
Not sure I'm ready for a 'second wave' of this damned virus.

I just figure my grandparents made it through the 1918-19 situation, so it can be done.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2020 02:58 pm
@Sturgis,
We’re in the middle of one right now.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2020 06:19 am
Anyone who hasn’t seen the two-part miniseries The Comey Rule - I highly recommend it.
I was hesitant to watch it because I thought it might taint my exquisite hatred of Comey.
But I was able to get a sense of his humanity and still hate him for his myopic self-righteousness.
Excellent cast. Excellent writing.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 04:38 pm
Before Regal Cinemas closes this week, I was able to see Tenet and The New Mutants.

Tenet was pretty good for the most part. The action scenes were done well, to showcase the time manipulation used throughout the film. One scene in particular had one character (moving forward in time like normal) fighting with another character who was moving backwards in time. The gist of the plot ( good guys stopping a bad guy who wants to blow up the world) is ok, but some of the dialogue was hard to understand for one reason or another (radio, masks, inverted speaking patterns, etc)

The New Mutants was OK but very forgettable. It mainly took place in a single building with a very small cast. Anya Taylor Joy as the X-Men character Magik was the best part of the film, but that is not saying much. Despite being touted as a horror film, it wasn't very scary. It is just bizarre it took 3 years to release a low budget film that had very little connection with the other X-Men films.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 06:52 pm
Rewatched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night as preparation for watching Ratchett.

Gotta be honest. 45 years later, I have a whole lot more sympathy for Mildred. In in majority of ways, she was just doing her job, herding cats all day.
snood

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 07:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Rewatched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night as preparation for watching Ratchett.

Gotta be honest. 45 years later, I have a whole lot more sympathy for Mildred. In in majority of ways, she was just doing her job, herding cats all day.

I could buy that, except for things like the obvious glee she took in crushing Billy Bibbit’s soul.
chai2

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 07:19 pm
@snood,
That's why I specifically said "In a majority of ways"
snood

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 07:51 pm
@chai2,
I hear you. I could have some sympathy for her too if she was just “herding cats” all day (I have some experience herding two-legged cats). But that bitch was evil.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 07:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
Tenet was pretty good for the most part.

Are they doing it in 15:70 Film IMAX or did the pandemic screw that up?

Not that I'm leaving my bunker to see it either way.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 08:17 pm
@oralloy,
It did get an IMAX release, but I saw it in a regular theater.
oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2020 08:41 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I just looked it up. Only nine theaters in the world are showing it in 70mm IMAX.

Four in the US, three in Canada, one in London, and one in Bangkok.

https://www.imax.com/news/warner-bros-pictures’-and-christopher-nolan’s-tenet-open-imax®-70mm

One of the US ones is in Detroit, but it's a dome.

If not for the pandemic I'd probably have gone to see it in Indianapolis.
0 Replies