The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 06:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Is this Utopia in some way related to the Thomas More satire from some centuries back?
(serious question)
mrgrtt123

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 07:44 pm
IT: Chapter 2

This nearly three-hour sequel has well-rounded, appealing characters and even some laughs, but it lacks the nerve-rattling scares and appealing simplicity of its 2017 predecessor.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 12:26 am
@Sturgis,
Only in so far that Utopia means perfect society, (being engineered.)

It's about a graphic novel and the conspiracy theories that surround it. A group of geeks regularly talk online.

They meet in person when someone claims to have the draft of part 2. That's when everything goes wrong, the conspiracy theories are true and there's something in the draft that "the network" doesn't want you to see.

There are loads of plot twists, and it's hard to speak specifically without giving away spoilers. It's very grey, a world of compromises where there are no heroes.

There are no sides, just people who can help you.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:24 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I saw IT 2 when it first came out last week. This one had an ending that worked, lots of knowing references to that, a cameo from Stephen King and a scene lifted straightout of The Thing[/i.]

I like the running joke where a several people tell Bill Denbrough, the novelist and screenwriter [and the in-film standin for Stephen King], that they don't like the endings to his books.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 06:34 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't like the original ending, or that of The Stand either.

Some of that was bad luck. When The Stand was shown over here it was at the same time the National Lottery was formed. Their advert showed a big disembodied hand coming out of the heavens pointing at the winner and announcing "It's you."

And that hand was almost identical to the hand of God in The Stand.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 09:10 pm
Watched the 2010 version of Clash of the Titans last night.

While I enjoyed it as light entertainment, I couldn't help but furrow my brow at the liberties taken regarding actual Greek Mythology.

It was kinda like if the movie was about the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln had a lunch meeting with Dr. Gregory House, and they decided to get Fatty Arbuckle to assassinate Eleonor Roosevelt and replace her with Beyonce.

First off, where were the Titans? Not one in the entire movie.

Pegasus, along with other winged horses, were found by Perseus midway in the movie.
Nevermind that there was only one Pegasus, not a herd, but it was born out of the neck/head of Medusa (Poisiden being the baby daddy) when Perseus cut Medusa's head off....which doesn't happen much later in the movie.

And what's the deal with Io?

In the movie, she (a mortal) said she was cursed with eternal youth (watching everyone she loves die) by an unnamed god because she rejected his advances. She gets killed during the movie, and she was probably glad of it. However, Zeus, seeing the sexual tension between Perseus and Io (she's been following him around since he was a baby, yeah, that's hot), brings her back to life so she and Perseus could hook up.

Um, Io is in mythology Perseus's (had to look up how many generations) great great great great great great great grandmother. So.....ew.
Also, the real story is that Zeus himself got it on with Io back in the day. In order to hide Io from is wife Hera (also his sister, again, ew), he turned her into a white heifer. Hera found her anyway, but that's another story.

Perseus actually married Andromeda and they ruled as king and queen. Andromeda was the daughter of the king, and Perseus was his nephew. So they were cousins.

The Kraken? Jesus, that's a Scandinavian myth! Seriously?

Andromeda was going to get eaten by a sea creature at one point, and Perseus saved her. Andromeda's mom, Cassiopeia (the queen) pissed Poisiden off by saying she was prettier than his sea nymphs, so her dad, King Cephus, decided to chain his daughter to a rock and get ravaged by a sea serpent to make up for it.

I do rather like this painting of Perseus swooping down on Pegasus to save Andromeda from a hungry weimaraner.

https://arthive.com/res/media/img/oy800/work/c9e/534752.jpg

Sturgis

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 01:28 pm
@chai2,
That sounds less like taking liberties, than, simply not knowing a real fact about any part of mythology in any individual group. (Greek, Egyptian, Roman etc.etc.)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 02:59 pm
Just saw Ad Astra in the theatre. Meh. Had already seen the best parts of the movie in the dang trailers. Brad Pitt has grown into a much better actor though.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 07:19 am
I saw Ad Astra and, based on the trailers, I did not expect it to have a Heart of Darkness style story.

I also saw this week The Goldfinch. It was a boring film that drags on, despite a good cast.

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 07:27 am
@Rebelofnj,
That's a shame about the Goldfinch, as it's such a marvelous book.

Guess it didn't adapt well to the screen.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 10:03 am
I started Woodstock on Netflix, but in the introductory phase, they took us to the war and politics in a way that rekindles the trauma of those days and I had to shut it off.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 11:27 am
@chai2,
I have not read the book, but from what I have seen from other reviews, the film had to cut out several subplots and tells its story in a non-linear fashion, with multiple flashbacks, whereas the book is told in a straight-forward fashion.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2019 12:41 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The author, Donna Tartt, is a legend in my opinion. She’s only had 3 works, since she writes with such care.

My favorite is The Little Friend.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:25 am
I've just seen Joker. It was incredible, and well deserving of Oscars, but it won't get any because it's too left wing. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was sublime.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've just seen Joker. It was incredible, and well deserving of Oscars, but it won't get any because it's too left wing. Joaquin Phoenix's performance was sublime.

Don't believe the far right media train (if that's who you quoting on this aspect). There ain't any way that Joaquin Phoenix isn't getting a nomination. It's a bit too soon to give him the actual award. There are plenty of Oscar buzz worthy movies not yet released.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:03 am
@tsarstepan,
It blew me away, it really did. It was a very sympathetic portrayal, totally unlike Ledger or Nicholson. You ended up rooting for him.

Have you seen it Yet?

I know you see a lot of films.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You ended up rooting for him.

No. I didn't... but I did sympathize with him a bit. It's a great performance to say the least. I saw it last week.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:24 am
@tsarstepan,
I got totally into it. I even laughed when De Niro was shot.

I did not think I'd do that, at all.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Big scandal over here is that Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part 2 is part of the soundtrack. It's what's playing when he finally becomes the Joker and is dancing on the steps.

I have mixed feelings about this. Glitter is a notorious paedophile whose exploits came to light about 20 years ago.

I don't like the idea of him getting any money, but then again the music is spot on. It fits the scene perfectly and I can't think of any other song that would be as effective.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 09:32 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Big scandal over here is that Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll Part 2 is part of the soundtrack. It's what's playing when he finally becomes the Joker and is dancing on the steps.

I know of GG but I guess never heard of any of his music. So? I had no inkling about this miniscandal until later that evening when an entertainment news org brought it up on Twitter or Facebook (can't remember). Knowing Todd Phillips and his style of humor? He did it intentionally as he's been pissed about "PC culture" and how people think his Hangover films have aged poorly.