The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

glitterbag

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 02:38 pm
@snood,
Yea, it’s a snood sighting 🎉🎉
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 09:32 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Widows - a revenge/heist flick with women driving the action. Good cast; good story. By the same director as 12 Years a Slave.

Will be seeing this Sunday afternoon. Looking forward to this for awhile.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2018 10:09 pm
I've been watching The Westerner, a Brian Keith TV series from 1960, on Youtube.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:20 am
Jackie Brown

While I don’t care much for Tarantino, this one gets better with each viewing.
Perhaps because Elmore Leonard’s crime novel Rum Punch keeps QT’s directorial excesses to a minimum.

Fine ensemble acting with Robert Forster, Pam Grier, Samuel L Jackson, Robert De Niro, Michael Keaton Bridget Fonda and Chris Tucker.

Caution: Salty script.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2018 01:51 pm
Freaking Widows! Staggeringly great heist film. I will be pissed if this doesn't bombs at the movie theater (as I also suspect it deservedly will do well Oscar season... especially for a genre picture).

Mark my words! Viola Davis will get a lead nomination for this one next year.

It's not perfect but come on! It deserves your eyeballs!
Just note that the trailer is a tad deceiving. It's more of a slowburner than depicted.
Lash

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2018 06:25 pm
True Detective #2 made people not clamor for True Detective #3, but lightening can strike twice.

I decided to rewatch 1&2 in anticipation of 3, which is due soonish...and stars Mahershala Ali...and holds my interest.

#1 was an amazing tour de force that I’m glad to be reacquainted with.

Alright, alright, alright.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 08:45 am
Alita: Battle Angel 3D
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2019 10:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
We watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night. I've always been blown away by the creative process, and I think the film does a great job highlighting the talent and innovation of the band. It might be a little schmaltzy in parts but not enough to make me groan. We like it quite a bit.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 01:56 am
@Lash,
The first season was outstanding. The second mediocre.
Lash

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:23 am
@izzythepush,
Agreed. Season 3 earned high marks from my kid, but he says it was a close copy of Season 1. I haven’t finished it yet. It’s sort of a wonder - why Season 2 didn’t work. Incredible cast. Same direction / production team, if I’m not mistaken. Interesting story. Just don’t know what happened.

I’m very hopeful for another iteration of The Twilight Zone, coming soon to Netflix, I think. Jordan Peele has a hand in it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:31 am
@Lash,
I'm currently watching old Doctor Whos on DVD. Loving it.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
I bought the DVD of The Monuments Men, watched about 15 minutes of it and turned it off. It was that bad. If anybody has anything good to say about it I'll give it another chance.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 01:55 pm
@izzythepush,
I could never get into the old Doctor Who series, but love some of the newer ones. What am I doing wrong? Is it worthwhile making an effort to watch them?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:03 pm
@coluber2001,
I honestly don't know. I was brought up with it. Patrick Troughton was my Doctor, and when I was a kid it was my favourite TV programme by a long way.

Because I was very little when I first saw them they're all new. Watching Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell episodes.

I really love them so of course I'd say they're worth watching.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:06 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I bought the DVD of The Monuments Men, watched about 15 minutes of it and turned it off. It was that bad. If anybody has anything good to say about it I'll give it another chance.

Can't say anything good about the forgettable film (which got a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes). But I ... for some reason rated an 8/10 on IMDb. Too much wine when I rated it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 05:38 pm
I’m having the most fun with The Thick of It, the most hilariously profane political comedy. They parlayed the series into a movie that I saw first - In the Loop.

Peter Capaldi cracks me up.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 05:50 pm
@Lash,
Unfortunately the first series is pretty much shelved down to Chris Langham being a paedophile.
Lash

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:04 pm
@izzythepush,
He was a hilarious straight man.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:30 pm
@Lash,
He was very good in lots of stuff that's why it was such a shock to find out what he'd been up to.

I can't watch anything with him in now, it's all I think about when I see him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 09:56 am
@coluber2001,
Monuments Men was written, directed and produced by George Clooney.

Mmmm. Maybe that’s the problem.
A vanity project.
It was awful.