Want Us to Stop Calling You Liars? Stop Lying!

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:21 pm
I won't waste my time rebutting your spirited arguments about inspections from 1998. The last round of inspections were halted and the inspectors forced to leave the country because Shrub was in a rush to prove his manhood by sending American kids off to war. I repeat, regarding WMDs history has shown who was right and who was wrong on that score.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:21 pm
Water, anyone?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:20 am
blacksmithn wrote:
...The last round of inspections were halted and the inspectors forced to leave the country because Shrub was in a rush to prove his manhood by sending American kids off to war. I repeat, regarding WMDs history has shown who was right and who was wrong on that score.

Enforcing a surrender treaty after a dozen years of playing games with Hussein is hardly what one would call "a rush." Onluy someone guilty of extremely short term thinking would consider that "history" has happened yet.

When a police officer frisks a suspect and doesn't find a gun, it does not prove either that the policeman wrong to frisk him, nor that the suspect didn't have a gun a minute earlier. Hussein had had WMD, had lied about them, and had used them. The only open questions are exactly how recently and exactly where the WMD went. The consequences of allowing Hussein to develop WMD capacity could potentially be so grave, that Bush was absolutely correct to invade.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 07:11 am
Unless he's LAPD, a policeman doesn't normally shoot the suspect and then try to determine if he's got a gun.

Unfortunately, there are many more questions beyond how recently and where they went, although I understand why you'd want to limit the argument to just those two suppositions.

Although there was an internationally agreed upon system of inspections set up and functioning to determine the answers to your two questions, Shrub was too anxious to pull the trigger to wait for their findings. Once again, that's why the inspectors were forced to cut short their mission and leave Iraq, not because Saddam threw them out. Assuming, arguendo, that Shrub was just too alarmed by the possibilities to wait, then given the fact that the alleged WMDs are nonexistent he was either guilty of
letting his emotions rule his judgement (never a good thing in a leader) or, more charitably, he allowed himself to be misled into believing incompetent intelligence over the reports of the international inspectors he himself countenanced.

As for the "consequences of allowing Saddam to develop WMDs" please remember the hysterical drumbeat from this administration prior to starting this war,i.e., Saddam already HAD WMDs, tons and thousands of them and delivery systems and facilities for their continued production. The prevarication that he was expanding his capacity to produce more and better was really something of an afterthought, compared to the mountain of misrepresentation regarding Saddam's purported then current capacities that went before.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 10:40 am
blacksmithn wrote:
Unless he's LAPD, a policeman doesn't normally shoot the suspect and then try to determine if he's got a gun.

My point is simply that the failure to find a weapon doesn't mean either that an invasive search was unjustified, or that the entity being frisked didn't have a weapon before he saw the policeman coming.

blacksmithn wrote:
Unfortunately, there are many more questions beyond how recently and where they went, although I understand why you'd want to limit the argument to just those two suppositions.

There are probably hundreds of questions. So what? People answering posts typically respond to a few issues that seem to them most relevant.

blacksmithn wrote:
Although there was an internationally agreed upon system of inspections set up and functioning to determine the answers to your two questions, Shrub was too anxious to pull the trigger to wait for their findings. Once again, that's why the inspectors were forced to cut short their mission and leave Iraq, not because Saddam threw them out.

There had been an internationally agreed upon system of inspections for a dozen years. At many points during the inspections over the years, Hussein had shown an intent to deceive the inspectors. No matter how you present it, impatience with after this length of time cannot be properly described as jumping the gun. It was entirely possible that Hussein was intentionally stalling the inspectors so that he could complete development and stockpiling of WMD. Had this been the case, he might suddenly have either (a) announced that he had enough WMD to obliterate anyone who attempted to interfere with his further development of WMD and that the treaty was therefore abrogated, or (b) simply had agents or associates use WMD in a few American cities killing a million people and then denied responsibility.

blacksmithn wrote:
Assuming, arguendo, that Shrub was just too alarmed by the possibilities to wait, then given the fact that the alleged WMDs are nonexistent he was either guilty of
letting his emotions rule his judgement (never a good thing in a leader) or, more charitably, he allowed himself to be misled into believing incompetent intelligence over the reports of the international inspectors he himself countenanced.

Or there was a certain significant probability that Hussein had WMD and/or WMD programs, Bush couldn't take the chance of a terrible calamity down the road, and he reacted properly to the odds. The fact that a suspect frisked by a policeman is found not to have a gun doesn't imply either that the policeman wasn't correct to frisk him, nor that the suspect didn't throw his gun in the bushes when he saw the policeman coming. Hypothetically, if the odds of logical proposition "A" are 25%, and the consequences of proposition A being true are ghastly, and there may be a serious penalty for delaying finding out, then an aggressive investigation is justified. If ultimately that 25% chance turns out to be false, it doesn't mean that a decision not to take the risk wasn't justified. It is entirely possible that Hussein did have WMD and WMD programs, and finally dismantled them or hid them very well only because of Bush's aggressive statements. It is entirely possible that he didn't destroy his WMD, but moved them someplace that makes them very hard to find. It is also entirely possible that Hussein would have cooperated or appeared to cooperate long enough to get sanctions lifted and the spotlight off himself, and then resumed development and production of WMD. When the issue is WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein, it is a good idea to err on the side of caution, since the consequences of him acquiring these weapons could include the use of WMD in population centers.

blacksmithn wrote:
As for the "consequences of allowing Saddam to develop WMDs" please remember the hysterical drumbeat from this administration prior to starting this war,i.e., Saddam already HAD WMDs, tons and thousands of them and delivery systems and facilities for their continued production. The prevarication that he was expanding his capacity to produce more and better was really something of an afterthought, compared to the mountain of misrepresentation regarding Saddam's purported then current capacities that went before.
Regardless of what arguments the administration did or did not make, the consequence of allowing Hussein to acquire and stockpile these weapons, and then also allowing the next group of dictators who tried to do so, could easily have been the use of WMD in western cities. No delivery system is needed. A WMD can be smuggled into the target country and assembled there. Depending on the exact scenario, one single use of one single weapon could obliterate a million people, and grievously injure many more. A few WMD events in the US might turn us into a 3rd world country for a century. These are pretty grave consequences and it was entirely proper of the president to err on the side of caution.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
I admittedly lack the patience at this point in my day to respond point by point to your nonsense. I'll save that for a later time. Suffice it to say, if you think invading Iraq was a good and timely idea, there's the airport. Go volunteer to do your bit.

Good luck, Sparky.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:22 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I admittedly lack the patience at this point in my day to respond point by point to your nonsense. I'll save that for a later time. Suffice it to say, if you think invading Iraq was a good and timely idea, there's the airport. Go volunteer to do your bit.

Good luck, Sparky.

I think it was a good idea also,and I WAS THERE.
I was with the marines and got wounded in Nassiriyah. So,since I was there and you werent,doesnt that make me more credible then you.
After all,you dont know what happened,you only see what the press wants you to see.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
I'll relieve you here for a minute, blacksmithn. There's some fruit on the counter and some water in the fridge. Help yourself.

mysteryman - No, it doesn't make you more credible. It makes you more gullible. George still needs you... GO BACK!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:10 pm
squinney wrote:
I'll relieve you here for a minute, blacksmithn. There's some fruit on the counter and some water in the fridge. Help yourself.

mysteryman - No, it doesn't make you more credible. It makes you more gullible. George still needs you... GO BACK!
Once again insulting the service of an American solider. It shows you have no respect for those that have the guts to do something you don't want to do.

There are those of us who have put our money where our mouths are, and that is more then you have done.

I have a tendency to take the word of someone who was there over the word of someone who wasn't.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:14 pm
Baldimo wrote:

There are those of us who have put our money where our mouths are, and that is more then you have done.

Having put your money where your mouth is, you'll understand why someone who is against the war would refuse to be a part of it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
may i add my 2 cents?

military and citizens hopping on each other is nonsense. neither one makes policy.

it's our respective politicians that we should be discussing.

that's my opinion at present.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:26 pm
squinney wrote:

I would love to,but I cant.
But,if it makes you feel better about insulting me,part of my right hand and two fingers are still there.
But,you feel free to insult me if you want,it really doesnt bother me.

Why doesnt it make me more credible?
To change the topic for a minute,and to prove my point,you also say that Kerry and his "band of brothers" ARE more credible then the SBV's,because THEY WERE THERE and the SBV people werent.
So,you have just proven your hypocrisy,and you cant deny it.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
Baldimo
Although I respect and admire anyone who volunteers to fight for their country. Before you ask I put my time in during a different war. That in no way makes him an expert on the politics for going to war. IMO Bush jumped the gun, in fact no matter what Saddam did short of abdicating would have dissuaded Bush from attacking Iraq. I should add he screwed that up also. The casualties now being sustained by the coalition forces and in fact those sustained after the major conflict was over can be laid directly at the feet of Bush and his cockamamie secretary of defense. I will sum it up in two words. Poor planning or should I say no planning. How many people have been killed and wounded because a civilian thought he knew more than professional soldiers.

Hitler, had the same delusion. No I am not calling Bush, Hitler.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
au1929 wrote:
Baldimo
Although I respect and admire anyone who volunteers to fight for their country. Before you ask I put my time in during a different war. That in no way makes him an expert on the politics for going to war. IMO Bush jumped the gun, in fact no matter what Saddam did short of abdicating would have dissuaded Bush from attacking Iraq. I should add he screwed that up also. The casualties now being sustained by the coalition forces and in fact those sustained after the major conflict was over can be laid directly at the feet of Bush and his cockamamie secretary of defense. I will sum it up in two words. Poor planning or should I say no planning. How many people have been killed and wounded because a civilian thought he knew more than professional soldiers.

Hitler, had the same delusion. No I am not calling Bush, Hitler.

I never claimed to be an expert on the policy,but I DO know what went on over there,at least while I was there.
So,that does make me more credible then someopne that wasnt there at all.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
mysteryman wrote:
you also say that Kerry and his "band of brothers" ARE more credible then the SBV's,because THEY WERE THERE and the SBV people werent.

kerry's guys are more credible because the swiftys have been proven to be wrong. not least of all o'neill and his big bad cambodia shtick. first he tells us all that he was never in cambodia. then we hear an actual recording of him telling nixon that he was. and on the same type of boat he insists that kerry never could have taken there.

as far as hypocrisy goes, i'm tired of hearing the tired ol' "we honor kerry's service" stuff. they don't honor anything about the guy. at least be honest it about it. " we don't care if you single handedly throttled ho chi mingh with one hand. you're a liberal dem now. so screw you".
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Why doesnt it make me more credible?
To change the topic for a minute,and to prove my point,you also say that Kerry and his "band of brothers" ARE more credible then the SBV's,because THEY WERE THERE and the SBV people werent.

If the question is one of what happened in Vietnam 35 years ago in a boat, then the people who were in the boat have the greater credibility. If the question is whether or not it was right to go into Iraq, I don't see how a soldier's perspective is somehow clearer than that of someone who stayed behind.

If you will forgive me saying so, a soldier has a vested interest in believing that it was the right the thing to do. If I have to go halfway around the world to kill people and risk being killed or maimed, I need to believe it is the right thing to do or I cannot do it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
blacksmithn wrote:

Good luck, Sparky.

Debate my ideas based on their intrinsic merit or lack thereof, not based on their origin.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
Mysteryman wrote.

Quote:
I never claimed to be an expert on the policy, but I DO know what went on over there, at least while I was there.
So, that does make me more credible then someone that wasn't there at all.

I hope you do not think I am trying to denigrate your service. I salute and support the men and women and all those who are willing to be put in harms way in defense of our nation. However, how does being there give you a better insight into the justification of the US action than one who has not been there. As I said before swashbuckler George was too eager to become as he puts it A war president. I guess it gives him a reason to swagger.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:59 pm
au1929 wrote:
Mysteryman wrote.

Quote:
I never claimed to be an expert on the policy, but I DO know what went on over there, at least while I was there.
So, that does make me more credible then someone that wasn't there at all.

I hope you do not think I am trying to denigrate your service. I salute and support the men and women and all those who are willing to be put in harms way in defense of our nation. However, how does being there give you a better insight into the justification of the US action than one who has not been there. As I said before swashbuckler George was too eager to become as he puts it A war president. I guess it gives him a reason to swagger.

Ignoring the issue of WMD,I SAW the mass graves,I SAW the results of Husseins brutality first hand.I heard stories of people that lost their daughters because one of Saddams bully's would decide "I want her",then just take her.
I talked to people that had been tortured by the govt.
In my opinion,that alone is justification for what we did.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:22 pm
Did you see any WMD's while you were there. Thats why Bush sent you there. Not because Saddun killed his people. Regan and Bush senior helped Saddum kill those people by arming him.
0 Replies