I'm Changing My Vote

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:44 pm
cjhsa writes:

Quote:

What's the context for these photo-ops, cjhsa? What was the underlining story for these images?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:46 pm
Unless he showing an example of a gun that he wants banned, there is no good reason for him to be handling it at all.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:50 pm
Why is there no good reason to handle a gun that he wants banned, if only to see how dangerous the gun can potentially be? Afterall, he is a hunting sportsman.

But like I said, I'd be interested in knowing what the context of those photo-ops were.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 01:27 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Here he is with a gun very similar to my A-5:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040906/i/r2502889888.jpg
Both would have been banned by legislation he signed, simply due to the pistol grip.

o.k. i read it and have a couple of comments. what you are pointing at looks an awful lot like this; with the non-sighted barrel attached.
http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/rem870combo.jpg

it is currently available and lawful. 8 round mag. legal limit is 10.

if i understood the bill correctly, this is what is meant by "pistol grip". this type of grip is designed for close quarters work, in torso rather than shoulder stance.

http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/mossberg590comp.jpg

i don't pretend to know absolutely everything about weapons, but i think these address the features you are talking about;

(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(42) PISTOL GRIP- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:13 pm
Those links don't work for me, unsure why.

Those two extraordinarily vague clauses you note encompass almost ALL of the semi-automatic weapons currently in the hand of hunters and sportsmen and women across the U.S. Ten rounds? "..any other characteristic that can function as a grip..."? Gimme a break...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:14 pm
"John Kerry Demonstrates the Danger Of Semi-Automatic Weapons: Repeatedly Shoots Campaign Manager at Rally".

A headline I wouldn't really want to see, but it is damn funny.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:20 pm
this is one place I part ways with my liberal brethren...I'm not anti gun of any kind at all period.

Let everyone have what they want....the bad guys are going to have the guns regardless.....

I personally would have no problem blowing a burglars head off and then going back to sleep...of course, my preference is for it to never come up, and I don't ever want to shoot anyone although I have shot one person in my life and I have been shot..... but my number one rule is don't f*#k with the bear family.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
Here they are, cjhsa:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~booblehole/Bush/mossberg590comp.jpg

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~booblehole/Bush/rem870combo.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
Your point is?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:29 pm
I could say the same about your "fictitious" headline, cjhsa.

My point was simple: so you could see the guns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
They look nice.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Those links don't work for me, unsure why.

Those two extraordinarily vague clauses you note encompass almost ALL of the semi-automatic weapons currently in the hand of hunters and sportsmen and women across the U.S. Ten rounds? "..any other characteristic that can function as a grip..."? Gimme a break...

sorry 'bout the links, i was in a hurry. you may have your browser set to single window only.

the amendments i posted relate to sections of the overall bill. didn't really want to post the whole thing here.
but here's the link.

thomas
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
cjhsa wrote:
They look nice.

yeah. nice pieces. i identified the top one as a remington 840. not sure, but that's what it looks like to me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
I like the ribbed barrel better than the sighted one. Being that I use mine mostly for bird hunting, a sight wouldn't help me. If I wanted to hunt deer with it, I'd get a new barrel.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:38 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
this is one place I part ways with my liberal brethren...I'm not anti gun of any kind at all period.

Let everyone have what they want....the bad guys are going to have the guns regardless.....

I personally would have no problem blowing a burglars head off and then going back to sleep...of course, my preference is for it to never come up, and I don't ever want to shoot anyone although I have shot one person in my life and I have been shot..... but my number one rule is don't f*#k with the bear family.

BPB - I agree. I'm wondering if you sleep with the gun near you, loaded, and here's why I ask. Burglars recently broke into my neighbors' home. The wife was home alone and had fallen asleep watching TV. Their alarm didn't sound because the burglars cut out the window pane and climbed in that way. Her husband's gun was in a drawer in their bedroom and the ammo was on a closet shelf. She's ok (slept through the entire thing, actually - amazing), but among the items stolen was the gun. This happened August 30, but is the second on my street in the past 8 months.

I'm probably going to buy a gun, but figure it won't do me much good if it's in one spot and the bullets in another. I tried sporting clay shooting recently while in Montana and didn't much like shooting a gun. I think I'd feel safer with one in my house, though.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I'm probably going to buy a gun, but figure it won't do me much good if it's in one spot and the bullets in another.

three words, just

1) - dog

2) - gun safe
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
Don't - the investigating police also recommended they get a dog. Mine passed away last year and it's taken me some time to get past that. I'm seriously considering another one now, though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
You don't really want to shoot the burglers anyway, unless you're in Florida (then you can shoot your neighbor, their dog, whatever, as long as you have a good reason). The gun is your equalizer. You tell burglers - "I have a gun and I will use it - get out of my house", while you call the police. If they approach you, then shoot them, no questions asked.

If you really are concerned about your safety, and wish to carry a firearm, consider getting a CCW permit. It will require training and approval from your local sheriff, if your state allows CCW's.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:52 pm
Get a dog!! The minute they hear the growl of an angry German Shepard or other dog completely loyal to you and who would protect you till the bitter end, they will not enter your house.

Threatening to say you have a gun and will use it could very well invite the idiots out there willing to respond in kind. At least a dog will give them a clear indication that they shouldn't even THINK about entering a house.

If you insist on keeping a gun in the house with the bullets seperate, a canine companion would give you ample time to get it and load it.

Dogs are amazing.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 05:54 pm
cjhsa - LOL at the Florida comment (I don't live there). I don't want to "carry" a gun, but I do think I'd feel safer with one here - don't ask me why. I got estimates on security windows today and I'm also considering a motion-detector type alarm system. I know some will see all this as overkill.
0 Replies