Is Zell Miller Suffering from a Mental Disorder?

Piffka

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:17 pm
Gee -- he doesn't sound betrayed...

from Jeffords Official Website

Quote:
Senator Jeffords' Statement on the GOP Convention -- published 9/1/04

It is a pleasure to be standing here with Senator Leahy and Congressman Sanders today to set the record straight: The Republican Party we are seeing at the convention this week is not the same Republican Party we have seen at work in Washington, D.C. for the past three years.

This convention has portrayed the President as inclusive and moderate, as someone who respects varying points of view, as someone who is willing to compromise and find common ground. Sadly, that is not the President I have come to know.

If this were an Olympic sport, the President and his handlers would win the gold medal for political gymnastics. They say one thing and do another.

And while they can parade moderate voices before the cameras on prime-time television, these voices do not represent the President they are there to nominate.

Since the day George W. Bush was sworn into office, the conservative Republican leadership in the White House and Congress has been driving an agenda of ideology over substance.

This Bush Administration has pushed the Republican Party to the far right - with little tolerance for differing opinions. In doing so, this Administration has promoted policies that are bad for Vermont and bad for our nation.

Let's take some of them one-by-one:

On environmental policy, this President Bush is moving us backward rather than forward. I was proud to work with the first President Bush on the Clean Air Act of 1990. He called our work, "A new chapter in our environmental history, and a new era for clean air." Now, this President Bush is undoing his father's legacy and our nation's environmental policy.

On energy policy, President Bush would rather help his friends and supporters at the big oil companies than invest in renewable and alternative energy sources.

On education policy, almost three years after the passage of the "No Child Left Behind Act," we are in danger of leaving many more children behind because President Bush refuses to provide the necessary funding so that every child in this nation receives a quality education.

On transportation policy, as our nation's highways and bridges deteriorate, President Bush blocks an important six-year highway bill that would improve our roads, create more than a million jobs, and provide a strong boost to our economy.

And worst of all, President Bush has spent billions of dollars on an unnecessary war in Iraq, with no coherent strategy; no timetable for withdrawal; no international consensus; and no accountability for intelligence reports that were manipulated to start the war in the first place. Now, more than 900 American soldiers have died.

The promises of candidate Bush, who pledged to bring a new bipartisan tone to Washington, have gone unmet. Three years ago, I left the Republican Party because of its intolerance for moderate views and its turn to the right. Today, I am more confident than ever that I made the right decision, and I am proud to stand here, united as a delegation, to refute the misguided policies of President Bush.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:18 pm
Baldimo wrote:
You can try to point out the differences if you like.

Actually this is about as much fun as putting peanut butter on the dog's nose.

Do you have anything else that needs pointing out?
0 Replies

Mr Bain

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:32 pm
I love Zell Miller. He is well-spoken and principled. A good man to have in the U.S. Senate. It's a shame that he is retiring, this year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:38 pm
Book recommendation noted, blatham.

I haven't doubted that's been a goal, I've just been impressed that it seems so blatant at this convention. There have to be more moderates and centrists like Sullivan who see what's happening.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
Book recommendation noted, blatham.

I haven't doubted that's been a goal, I've just been impressed that it seems so blatant at this convention. There have to be more moderates and centrists like Sullivan who see what's happening.
You wouldn't call Arnold a moderate? You wouldn't call McCain a moderate?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 06:41 pm
I would call them (and Guiliani) moderate window dressing. Meanwhile, Zellotry was chilling. And while they showcase some moderates, they're marginalizing the causes (like abortion and gay marriage) that make them moderate.

What I'm saying is Andrew Sullivan sees it, and I don't think he's the only one.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 08:45 pm
Baldimo wrote:
He also covered his voting record in the senate and it does show that he doesn't support a modern military. He did vote against weapons systems that are used in the current war on terror. If he is indeed strong on military weapons systems then why vote against them? Us soldiers need the best equipment we can get our hands on and when people vote against it, it isn't good for us. How do you defend this in a wannabe commander in chief?

These are fair questions. I found some answers here.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/weapons.asp

Quote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:25 pm
Hmm. Republicans not too happy with Miller's speech after all:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5897622

Quote:

The turncoat didn't do as well as they hoped, muahaha.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:50 pm
I'm not sure, cyclo...Schafley herself has talked about how each and every detail of the convention has been planned and choreographed. I think the chance that any speech to be presented wouldn't have been vetted by Rove's team as very close to zero.

To have Miller make such a speech has the very real benefit of plausible deniability..."it was a Democrat who said it". Thus they get the (at least hoped for) benefit of the malice with little fear of being held accountable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:33 am
I completely agree. There's no way they didn't know what he was going to say. And 'I don't know that we share that point of view'? He was the keynote speaker, for goodness sakes. Maybe they could find someone they agree with to do the keynote next time.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 06:40 am
How do you suppose Bush is going to keep America safe from terrorists if the GOP can't keep MSG secure from infiltrating protestors?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
"If John Kerry can't stop those who have worked and served with him from later attacking his character and principles, how can he lead anything?"

This is my version of a non-sequitor as absurd as the one above.

There is little doubt that the Republican convention was as well-scripted as was the Democrat one. Odd that conservatives didn't make a big deal about that after Boston, while so many Democrats (and Canadian equivalents) are hyperventillating about it now.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:16 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I completely agree. There's no way they didn't know what he was going to say. And 'I don't know that we share that point of view'? He was the keynote speaker, for goodness sakes. Maybe they could find someone they agree with to do the keynote next time.

Of course, but they had no idea that the speech would be so poorly received and so angrily delivered. On the other hand, they did know its content and the fact that it was a another slanderous smear. Yet they approved it. Just like they did the Swiftboat liars.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:31 am
But they aren't smears or lies. John Kerry really did put himself in for three Purple Hearts (one for each band-aid) and later use those awards to get an early release after a 13 week tour of duty. John Kerry really did appear prominently before the Congress and testify to his direct knowledge of widespread atrocities done by those with whom he served - and later deny that he ever saw or participated in any himself. He did all this and then thirty years later go on to great lengths to portray himself as a war hero.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
Miller blathering about the difference between liberation and occupation was contradicted by none other than George W. Bush who recently used the terms several times before a mike concluding that, "Nobody likes to be occupied." I guess Zell Miller believes they should change the sign on airplane toilets to "liberated" instead of "occupied."
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
But they aren't smears or lies. John Kerry really did put himself in for three Purple Hearts (one for each band-aid) and later use those awards to get an early release after a 13 week tour of duty. John Kerry really did appear prominently before the Congress and testify to his direct knowledge of widespread atrocities done by those with whom he served - and later deny that he ever saw or participated in any himself. He did all this and then thirty years later go on to great lengths to portray himself as a war hero.

The lies and smears have already been documented, your denying it simply reveals the fact that you are either dishonest yourself or lack comprehension skills.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:55 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Miller blathering about the difference between liberation and occupation was contradicted by none other than George W. Bush who recently used the terms several times before a mike concluding that, "Nobody likes to be occupied." I guess Zell Miller believes they should change the sign on airplane toilets to "liberated" instead of "occupied."

Now LW, you know that is an intellecually dishonest argument.

Occupation has to come before liberation, duh!
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:57 am
georgeob1 wrote:
"If John Kerry can't stop those who have worked and served with him from later attacking his character and principles, how can he lead anything?"

There is little doubt that the Republican convention was as well-scripted as was the Democrat one. Odd that conservatives didn't make a big deal about that after Boston, while so many Democrats (and Canadian equivalents) are hyperventillating about it now.

What happened at the Dem convention that was anywhere near as outrageous as the Miller speech or even the Bush Twins?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 07:59 am
georgeob1 wrote:

How is Bob Dole going to counter the whisper campaign that he actually lost the use of his right arm in an unfortunate masturbatory incident in France?

Top that, george.

I think the RNC may turn out to be what George W. Bush likes to call a "catastrophic success".

His soldiers stormed the podium, reigned shock and awe down on their enemies, and overpowered the viewers without thinking much about the aftermath or an exit strategy.

Oops. Make that 'strategery'.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
georgeob1 wrote:
John Kerry really did put himself in for three Purple Hearts (one for each band-aid)

Nice. You get an award yourself:

http://wearabledissent.com/heartless/phproject_01.jpg
0 Replies