Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:43 pm
Quote:
Bush declares emergency in Louisiana
Aug. 27, 2005 | Staff

CRAWFORD, Texas - President Bush declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Saturday because of the approach of Hurricane Katrina and his spokesman urged residents along the coast to heed authorities' advice to evacuate.

Bush, vacationing at his ranch, was being regularly updated about the storm, which is expected to hit land early Monday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

Officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency continue to coordinate with state authorities in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama, and have prepositioned supplies in areas expected to be affected, he said.

The president's emergency declaration authorizes the FEMA to coordinate all disaster relief efforts and to provide appropriate assistance in a number of Louisiana parishes, or counties.

Authorities told residents of low-lying coastal communities to head for higher ground. The storm was expected to strengthen as it crosses the Gulf of Mexico and could become a Category 4 hurricane with wind of at least 131 mph.

"We urge residents in the areas that could be impacted to follow the recommendations of local authorities," McClellan said ...

Quote:
New Orleans braces for monster hurricane
Crescent City under evacuation; storm may overwhelm levees

Monday, August 29, 2005; Posted: 12:10 a.m. EDT (04:10 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- New Orleans braced for a catastrophic blow from Hurricane Katrina overnight, as forecasters predicted the Category 5 storm could drive a wall of water over the city's levees.

The huge storm, packing 160 mph winds, is expected to hit the northern Gulf Coast in the next nine hours and make landfall as a Category 4 or 5 hurricane Monday morning ...

... Bush issues disaster declarations
President Bush announced Sunday that he had issued disaster declarations for Louisiana, Mississippi and parts of southern Florida. The declaration for Miami-Dade and Broward counties in Florida will allow residents there to apply for federal disaster aid.

"We'll do everything in our power to help the people and communities affected by this storm," he said.

The president urged anyone in the storm's path "to put their own safety and the safety of their families first by moving to safe ground." ...

Quote:
Nagin (CNN Interview, September 2): " ... I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

Quote:
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2182/naginsbusses0in.jpg
An aerial view of flooded school buses in a lot, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in New Orleans, LA. The flood is a result of Hurricane Katrina that passed through the area last Monday. (AP Photo/Phil Coale)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
Steve Harvey...(?)...is hanging around with refugees from the storm, being interviewed on the tube, saying adults shouldn't be expected to ride in school buses.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:15 pm
Apparently, school buses were deemed good enough to provide priority service to tourists:
Quote:
... At one point Friday, the evacuation was interrupted briefly when school buses pulled up so some 700 guests and employees from the Hyatt Hotel could move to the head of the evacuation lineSource: AP via Yahoo!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
Can anyone explain the new distain for the word "refugees"?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 05:54 pm
Quote:
Last 300 Refugees Leave Superdome
Sep 3, 7:39 PM (ET)

By MARY FOSTER

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The last 300 refugees in the Superdome climbed aboard buses Saturday bound for new temporary shelter, leaving behind a darkened and stinking arena strewn with trash.

The sight of the last person - an elderly man wearing a Houston Rockets cap - prompted cheers from members of the Texas National Guard who were guarding the facility.

"I feel like I've been here 40 years," said Louis Dalmas Sr., one of the last people out of the arena. "Any bus going anywhere - that's all I want."

Inside and outside the Superdome - including the concourse around it and a 50-yard bridge that connects it to a shopping center - was a sea of garbage up to 5 feet deep.

Among the food wrappers, abandoned shopping carts and upturned chairs were personal items, including wedding albums, clothing, toys, a PlayStation console, and a doll.

Jessica Montgomery left behind a suitcase and a pillow case full of mementos. "I wanted it, but I just couldn't carry it any farther," she said.

Capt. Joe Haines said the final day of evacuations went according to plan. The dome's 10 acres was next to be searched to ensure there are no bodies beneath the trash, while cleanup crews are to rake away the piles to discourage rats.

Tina Miller, 47, had no shoes and cried with relief and exhaustion as she left the Superdome and walked toward a bus. "I never thought I'd make it. Oh, God, I thought I'd die in there. I've never been through anything this awful."

In addition to five medical patients who had to be carried out, several of the final refugees smelled of alcohol after having apparently scavenged liquor bottles from the debris. One man was led away in handcuffs.

The inside of the dome was pitch black as the last people left. Bathrooms had no lights, making people afraid to enter, and the stench from backed-up toilets inside killed any inclination toward bravery.

Capt. John Pollard of the Texas Air Force National Guard said 20,000 people were in the dome when the evacuation efforts began Wednesday. That number swelled to about 30,000 when people poured in because they believed it was the best place to get a ride out of town.

Many of the Superdome refugees were bused to Texas. Besides the 25,000 or so being brought to Houston, officials said another 25,000 would be taken to San Antonio and other locations.

Tensions at the dome ran high ever since residents unable to get out of the city ahead of as Hurricane Katrina used it as a shelter of last resort. A near-riot broke out in the scramble to get on the first few buses that arrived to ferry evacuees to Texas.

After that, lines of people a half-mile long snaked from the dome through the nearby Hyatt Regency Hotel, then to where buses waited. Babies were held over parents' heads, and the sun beat down mercilessly. State troopers, making every effort to be cheerful, handed out bottles of water and tried to keep families and groups together.

At one point Friday, the evacuation was interrupted briefly when school buses pulled up so some 700 guests and employees from the hotel could move to the head of the evacuation line - much to the amazement of those who had been crammed in the Superdome since last Sunday.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:05 pm
The Black Caucus--other blacks in the news and Richard Simmons...(?)...decry the use of the word.

I wasn't trying to figure out why.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:59 pm
Because, as I heard it from a reporter on NPR, who said ",,,evacuee's, I can't stand hearing them referred to as refugees. Refugees are people from another country. These are our fellow Americans."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 07:23 pm
Hurricane season yet to peak

Quote:
Four more predicted this month alone

By Ken Kaye
Staff Writer
Posted September 3 2005

It's far from over.

The peak of hurricane season doesn't officially arrive for another week, yet 13 named storms already have emerged. In a normal six-month season, 10 storms form, and on average the last one doesn't arrive until the end of October.

Another seven to eight named systems are expected to form over the next three months, atmospheric conditions are conducive to supercharging them and steering patterns could drive some toward the U.S. shoreline, experts say.

On Friday, storm prognosticator William Gray predicted that this month alone, four more hurricanes, two intense, would develop.

"It's a sad thing to say, but we're not done," said Stanley Goldenberg, meteorologist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Hurricane Research Division.

there's been a fair bit of radio coverage of this lately
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 07:25 pm
NC usually deals with them in September. I'm holding my breath.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 07:41 pm
OK, now I'm speechless -

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1562415,00.html
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 08:11 pm
squinney wrote:
Because, as I heard it from a reporter on NPR, who said ",,,evacuee's, I can't stand hearing them referred to as refugees. Refugees are people from another country. These are our fellow Americans."

I think, squinney, that that was from someone NPR was interviewing, not from an NPR reporter. But I may be wrong, I tried to find it on npr.org. It's there, I am sure, but there were just to many Katrina stories to re-listen to.
I did, though, hear a commentary from an NPR reporter, Linda Wertheimer, a lady whom I respect a lot. The title was something like "In Search of Leadership."
Guess what. The federal government discovered today that the 82nd Airborne was in Ft Bragg NC. Along with other active duty personnel. some 7,000 troops could get to the gulf within 72 hours (3 days?!).
Helicoptors, medics, military police. Where were they five days ago? Oh, they were in NC.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 09:52 pm
Something of which much will be made - though possibly not untill the Congressional Hearings get under way - is that assets and resources had been arranged reasonaby well in advance (as these things go) of the catastrophe - prepositioned or alerted, as applicable. Among the way things work are the requirements and protocols surrounding Disaster Aid, particularly that involving military participation and aid afforded by another state or by the Federal Government. The Governors of the affected states must formally request the aid. A silly rule, yeah, mebbe. None the less, it is/was the rule; it may get changed, prolly should get changed, but the fact remains, the official routine, with which all Governors should be familiar (and Bianco and Nagin were aware of and had in last year's excersize, "Hurricane Pam", followed the correct form) was not followed, and while that's no excuse, it is, understanding the way bureaucracies work, a very plausible (though again not entirely exculpatory) reason for the chaos, confusion, and delay of the first 48 hours following Katrina's strike on the Gulf Coast.

Case in point (and but one of many such blunders):

Quote:
Firefighting gear stockpile unused
From CNN Producer Mike M. Ahlers

Saturday, September 3, 2005; Posted: 6:09 a.m. EDT (10:09 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Nine stockpiles of fire-and-rescue equipment strategically placed around the country to be used in the event of a catastrophe still have not been pressed into service in New Orleans, five days after Hurricane Katrina, CNN has learned.

Responding to a CNN inquiry, Department of Homeland Security spokesman Marc Short said Friday the gear has not been moved because none of the governors in the hurricane-ravaged area has requested it.

A federal official said the department's Office for Domestic Preparedness reminded the Louisiana and Mississippi governors' offices about the stockpiles on Wednesday and Thursday, but neither governor had requested it ...

Certainly no excuse, whatsoever - but a reason - a systemic bureauocratic flaw which demands remedy.

Interesting as well, reference the earlier mentioned "Hurricane Pam" excercize, is that the hypothetical situation postulated a relatively slow moving Category 3 hurricane, and it was known well in advance Katrina was a relatively slow moving Category 4/5 hurricane. Among the recommendations drawn from the excerize - evacuation of the city prior to the onset of the hypothetical Category 3 storm was deemed an urgent necessity, and that New Orlean's public transit assets, city and school buses (assets unused over the weekend approach of Katrina, and now themselves casualties of the flooding), would need to be pressed into service in order to effect the timely evacuation of those many tens of thouands in the city who lacked adequate transportation of their own.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 01:34 pm
Johnboy tends to settle in by the telephone on late Sunday mornings and into the early afternoons, because that is when kinfolk and friends can likely reach me. From wherever they are. Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin. Wherever.

So they called today and we talked about stuff as folks do: our health, the weather, kids and pets, and good things or bad things that happened since we talked last.

And of course we talked about Katrina, and the gulf (or, shorthand for the area, I guess, New Orleans). And I heard something that troubled me, and when I asked the folks that I know and love, they acknowledged it and it troubled them, too. And that is "Hurricane Fatigue."

We are tired of this. We want to move on and the media will probably pander to our desire and they will move on to other stories, perhaps even another hurricane brewing in the Atlantic. And those poor souls, call them evacuees or refugees, who have nothing, nothing, will try to put their lives back together. But no one will be watching or caring very much anymore.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
I understand and appreciate what you're saying there, RJB, though I suspect it'll be a fair while before Katrina fades from the media's Top List. Much, much more is to be heard of this catastrophe, and much of that will be very unsettling. Over the next few days, expect the mounting death toll, as the dead are discovered, to be banner news, for instance. And it won't be too long before the inevitible "Who gets blamed" official hearings begin, and those are sure to brew up a huge storm of their own. The explosion is over, now comes the fallout.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
I agreed with something Bush said! That never happens, so lemme note it.

According to a newspaper report, "Bush is being called on by many to devote funds that are earmarked for Iraq, to the aftermath of Katrina. But according to Bush the US can deal with 'Iraq and Katrina'. The American Congress donated 8,4 billion Euro of extra support."

("donated" sounds a bit odd, its not like it comes from their own pocket, but that may be a question of translating, this is from the Dutch).

Now I'm sure I have very different ideas from GWB about what money earmarked for Iraq should be spent on. But I think it would be terrible if money that could help the Iraqis is withdrawn to be reallocated for NO. America is the richest country in the world, it just enjoyed a massive tax cut. Theres enough money in the country to help both the people of the country your government invaded and your own people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:53 pm
I'll agree with you on that too, although I am sans doubt I agree with your allocations.

I am piercingly sorrowful about what seem to be layered bureaucratic stoppages that are too lame to bear. Do none of these people in command have telephones? Well, except maybe the sad mayor of NO.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:00 pm
On the mayor, I don't care what anybody works up about what he should or should not have done. The man stayed there. True, it was the window busted wind thwacked Hyatt, that beat the superdome and convention center and many houses for luxe, but not by all so much.
He didn't decamp.

Changing subjects - I haven't been following as closely today but I am anxious for all left at Charity hospital. I am guessing those folks have some points of view, but mainly I hope they are cared for now.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:02 pm
Suicides by NOLA police (2).
Despondance in others.
And, they haven't seen the worst of it yet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:04 pm
And by cared for now, I am talking about med staff as well as any patients left. They are now all patients.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 07:09 pm
My view keeps zoning in on when a medical copter went to the Convention Center and was met by someone shooting.

I now may or may not understand that shooting (see my other posts), but I have long wondered why that copter didn't come back with back up, from police or national guard, or navy or whatever.

I see a underlying worry about liability in this whole developing week. Safety concerns for all. Against some guys with firearms?

I begin to see us as a liability bound column of salt.
0 Replies