Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:56 pm
Don't be foolish Letty. If you see something like this coming at you...
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/images/129/hur_floyd_19990914.jpg
You'd better run for your life... and I mean out of Florida if you know what's good for you. Idea
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:53 am
Well, wild Bill, I had a terrible experience at a shelter when Frances hit last year; my husband and I would have been better off had we stayed at home. That's all that I meant.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:18 am
Whew...Cutler Ridge got blasted again...this was a sneaky one...and look out Panhandle!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 04:29 pm
Oh dear. This is looking very bad. Damage of course in south Florida but now Katrina is in the Gulf, over warm water where it is gathering strength and moisture, and heading for New Orleans. The mayor says folks shoud board up their houses, gas up their cars and get out of town. But a lot of folks don't have money for boards and buying gas is senseless because they dont have cars
I feel a bit dirty looking ahead to where Katrina might be in three days-perhaps in my back yard in Virginia. I hope the folks down there come through it okay.
This b*tch kind of snuck up on everyone.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:10 am
Imagine my surprise when I went to get some gas before my commute this evening and found all the gas stations had no gas....sucks
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:13 am
If you want to see Kat approaching The Big Easy...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1534143#1534143
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:14 am
I hear she's a 5 now. I feel very sorry for Louisiana and Mississippi.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:54 am
Unprecedented evacuation. I hope this won't be the epic disaster it bodes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:03 am
MAN! Look at the size of that thing!

After all these years in the south, I'm still amazed at the force and size of hurricanes. And, to think I used to be afraid of tornado's.

I hope all are safe and taking the actions they can.

For those without vehicles, does the state have a plan for evacuating the elderly, poor and sick? Like free bus service and that kind of thing?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:04 am
Some specific info here -
http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1125214307249320.xml

(not so much about whether there are buses or not)
Apparently the Superdome to be a shelter..
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/national/29katrinacnd.html?hp
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:13 pm
I know that, last year, Letty and her husband had a miserable experience sheltered in a school. One can't expect it to be pleasant, but I reckon one can expect it to be...functional, for the want of a better word.
So most folks have wisely fled NO but for those that can't, there is the Superdome.
If this Katrina is as bad as it appears she might be, this huge building will become, literally overnight, a city. It will be fascinating to see how that instant city works to provide food, on-site medical care, sewage and trash disposal, and on and on.
I hope that the authorities in NO have practiced all of this.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:51 pm
OMG Shocked Pity those left behind. That looks like the finger of God.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:55 pm
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop02_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 01:59 pm
From a blog at Weatherunderground. Dr. Masters is Senior Meteorologist at The Weather Underground.

Updated: 12:36 PM GMT am 28. August 2005

Katrina is in the midst of a truly historic rapid deepening phase--the pressure has dropped 34 mb in the 11 hours ending at 7am EDT, and now stands at 908 mb. Katrina is now the sixth strongest hurricane ever measured in the Atlantic. At the rate Katrina is deepening, she could easily be the third or fourth most intense hurricane ever, later today. The list of strongest hurricanes of all time includes:

Hurricane Gilbert (888 mb, 1988)

The Great Labor Day Hurricane (892 mb, 1935)

Hurricane Allen (899 mb, 1980)

Hurricane Camille (905 mb, 1969)

Hurricane Mitch (905 mb, 1998)

Hurricane Ivan (910 mb, 2004)

Katrina's winds and storm surge
Maximum sustained winds at flight level during the 7am Hurricane Hunter mission into Katrina were 153 knots, which translates to 160 mph at the surface, making Katrina a minimal Category 5 hurricane. The winds are likely to increase to "catch up" to the rapidly falling pressure, and could approach the all-time record of 190 mph set in Camille and Allen. Winds of this level will create maximum storm surge heights over 25 feet, and this storm surge will affect an area at least double the area wiped clean by Camille, which was roughly half the size of Katrina. Katrina has continued to expand in size, and is now a huge hurricane like Ivan. Damage will be very widespread and extreme if Katrina can maintain Category 5 strength at landfall.

Landfall projections
The computer models are very tightly clustered and have been so for almost a day. The data used to initialize the models is excellent, since all available hurricane hunter aircraft have been in the air continuously making measurements for several days. Katrina has already made her turn northward, which makes the task of landfall prediction for the models much easier. The offical NHC forecast of a landfall in SE Louisiana, on the western edge of New Orleans, is thus a high-confidence forecast. The spread in the landfall location is just 90 miles, meaning the eye of Katrina is very likely to hit somewhere between New Orleans and a point just east of the Mississippi-Louisiana border.

Intensity forecast
Katrina's intensity at landfall is likely to be Category 4, but could easily be Category 3 or 5. She will undergo another eyewall replacement cycle before landfall, and this will weaken her maximum winds by 20 - 30 mph for a 12-hour period. Additionally, some increase in shear is possible in the 12 hours prior to landfall, which could weaken Katrina's winds another 10 - 20 mph. If we are extrememly lucky, both factors will conspire to knock Katrina down to a Category 3 and she will hit at low tide. Given that the storm is so large and is already pushing up a huge storm surge wave in front of it, even a weakened Category 3 Katrina hitting at low tide will cause an incredible amount of damage. A stretch of coast 170 miles long will experience hurricane force winds, given the current radius of hurricane force winds around the storm. A direct hit on New Orleans in this best-case scenario may still be enough to flood the city, resulting in heavy loss of life and $30 billion or more in damage.

Dr. Jeff Masters Source
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 03:54 pm
Having survived a Cat 4 over our town...I fear for the Gulf folks
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
Me too, boy.
And - I had read earlier this week an article in Harper's about all the formosan termites gnawing their way through New Orleans, in particular in the French Quarter area, so I worry about the structures in the winds, even if the people get out ok.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
I view each storm like this as both a catastrophic hit on lives and property as well as a major hit to our economy.
Daamn, Ive been in a minor storm in NO where the pumps froze and we had flooding in the Garden. We lived for weeks just waiting for water to drop so we could dry out

I hope the zoo animals are safe. I always fear for their pack of red wolves who are totally unsocialized to begin with.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
They say this may be the storm of the century.

New Orleans sits well below the sea level --and the bayou is threaded with tributaries... Lake Ponchtrain (sp) is held back from flooding N.O. by a wall.

They are predicting a 20 ft storm surge.

Coffins will likely pop up out of the ground--disease will likely be more destructive to human life than the wind.

They still talk about Camille around there. This may dwarf Camille. N.O.--the WORST case scenario, IMO.

Additional worry--there are a LOT of very poor, uneducated people in that area. I think the stas are 1 in 5 don't own transportation, related to poverty.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:14 pm
They predict total destruction of the French Quarter--scientists, not media.

I love that city. It is irreplaceable. I hope it slows or the water cools, or something happens to weaken it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:31 pm
Heavy rains, dark skies and buffeting winds reported in New Orleans. The city won't see the sun again looking as it does now. God help them.
0 Replies