Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:37 pm
There was something in my daily trucking newsletter about some drivers in trouble as a result of the storms. Some are simply not able to contact dispatchers - some are on the wrong side of a bridge that went out - in any case, husker - your friend's concerns are noted. Candles are lit - again.

Candles are lit - still.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:03 pm
being smack dab in the middle of a concerned about a friend situation....you also have my empathy and good thoughts...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:07 pm
husker wrote:
A lady we know asked for prayers for her son, he is a truck driver - taking relief supplies to Georgia - he's been missing for 3 days.

I will be praying for him.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:09 pm
Will also be praying for everyone having to weather all these nasty storms. My heart goes out to you all!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:30 pm
panzade wrote:
Well now! We are getting a hell of a storm right now. Don't know if Ivan doubled back or Jeanne is reaching out. Winds blowing about 50 mph and it's pouring down rain.

Good grief... when will this hurricane season end? 50 mph winds? NO!

Wishing you had good weather and feeling guilty about the fine September we're having. It's a little brisk, but I got too much sun today.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:15 am
Bear-though I haven't posted on your friends thread my thoughts have been with him and I check in every day hoping for a magic recovery

Piff-enjoy your fine weather...the rains are on their way...lol
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:28 am
An area of low pressure moving across the Florida Peninsula is actually a remnant of once-Hurricane Ivan. The upper-level vortex dropped south from the Mid-Atlantic and spun up a surface low off the Florida Peninsula. Showers and a few embedded thunderstorms spread across central and southern Florida during the day on Monday and will continue today. The pressure gradient between this low and a strong area of high pressure in the Northeast has been responsible for strong winds along the Georgia and Florida coast. This northeasterly flow is also causing dangerous rip currents, high surf, and beach erosion across Florida. These threatening conditions will continue across the east coast of Florida today and people should not venture into the water. http://www.w3.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=0803wc

Would you PLEASE stay out of the water, Panzade!!! Geeze Louise, don't make me come down there! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
Yes Mom Embarrassed
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:29 am
I think Florida has received its unfair share this year, you guys need a break. We're beginning to feel pretty relieved up here in Connecticut. All of the hurricanes even the remanent down pours have waltzed around us. Talk about dodging a bullet...so far.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
Jeanne killed 600 in Haiti. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:44 am
600??

Oh, my Gosh! I don't even want to see what that poor place looks like.

With all of the storms and massive devistation this year, I wonder how much aid will make it to them. There are so many in need right now.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
The sad thing is that a majority of the casualties were in the town of Gonsaives which suffered terribly in the overthrow of Aristide. This proud nation that was the first group of slaves to overthrow their masters has suffered so much,
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
Toussaint L'overture. Wow! I remember him, Panz. I had a prof that referred to him as Toussaint O'Liverture. Yikes!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:08 am
A superb military general, Toussaint managed to defeat the English army causing over 40,000 casualties. He was even responsible for defeating the armies of that period's greatest conqueror, Napoleon Bonaparte. Tricked into accepting an invitation from a French General to discuss matters of state, Toussaint was captured by French forces. Napoleon, taking no chances, locked him in a medieval fortress high in the Jura Alps of the French-Swiss borders.

Upon hearing of his capture Haiti once again erupted into revolt. In the name of Toussaint the cry was "War for war, crime for crime, atrocity for atrocity!" Led by Toussaint's successor, the military genius Jean-Jacques Dessalines, the Haitian soldiers defeated the French and gained independence for their island nation in November of 1803. Toussaint however would not live to see the day. Eight months earlier, the short Black general who electrified the world, whose name was on the lips of everyone from the enslaved Blacks of America to the royalty of Europe, passed away in captivity. His contributions to the cause of Black liberty would inspire many for generations to come.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:09 am
The following lyrics are for Toussaint L'Overture by Santana

Los cueros me llaman
(repeat)

El timbal
(repeat)

Vamos morena a bailar mi montuno
(repeat)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:22 am
My, my. I do believe Setanta has a fierce competitor. (I used to think his handle was Santana)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:26 am
Me too, but there's no comparison. Setanta actually knows his stuff and collates it into a wonderful narrative while I just cut and paste. On my behalf though, I learn just as much doing it that way.
I urge you to follow Set's threads on the Civil War. They are superb

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32801&highlight=
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:31 am
Are you kiddin', panz? How do you think I got the sobriquet, LettyBettyGettyMaryCustisLee? Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
Duh-now I remember Embarrassed
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 11:16 pm
The deaths in Haiti have topped over 1600. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies