Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

Asherman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:07 pm
Magus,

This isn't a partisan issue, no matter what you may think. Some conservative Republicans are "Pro-Choice" and others are "Pro-life". The same can be said of Democrats and Communists. Some Christians take one position and some the other. Activists on both sides scramble about looking for persuasive arguements to support their own prejudices, and both sides are not above throwing some very mean curve balls.

This is an inherently emotional issue, what we need is less fire and more calm thought about it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
Asherman wrote:

This is an inherently emotional issue, what we need is less fire and more calm thought about it.

Indeed: those terms "pro-life" versus "pro-choice" aren't perhaps the best way to go there.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:22 pm
Evening Walter. The point is people can be found on both sides of the issue in every political party, and in every religious grouping. Who cares what label folks choose to spin for themselves?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 11:45 pm
"Good morning" from here, Asherman :wink:

Agreed on your last.
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:24 pm
Jer wrote:
Kelly,

Just a note that you came off sounding somewhat reasonable at the beginning when I believe you were a woman. You crossed the line into completely unreasonable when you started talking about religion with regards to the legality of abortion.

You're drawing the line at conception, that mass of cells couldn't live if it wasn't living off of it's host. That's not a person.

My two cents.

I may be wrong, but I think it was Magus who brought up the religious argument. I merely responded to the points made.

Kelly
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:28 pm
Magus wrote:
What if the religious fanatics refuse medical intervention for their minor children?
If their child dies from lack of a transfusion because the minor's parents refused to allow such... should the parents be prosecuted for negligence?

If I remember correctly at least ten couples in the last ten years, who were members in good standing of Christian Science congregations, have been prosecuted and jailed for failing to provide appropriate medical care for their sick children when the results were death of the children. I think there have been at least two cases where courts took custody from parents, Jehova's Witnesses, so that the children could receive necessary transfusions. The Jehova's Witnesses consider blood transfusions equivalent to canabalism.

Kelly
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
KellyS wrote:
Magus wrote:
Kelly, if YOU want to have a baby... please, do so.

I would love to, however the doctors publicly haven't admitted to trying to implant ovaries and uterous in a male.

Yeah, it figures. I thought you were male.

What do you care about freedom of choice for women...you will never have to face the problem.

I would think it is very obvious that I care a very great deal. Otherwise I would not be engaged in this discussion. I have repeated argued here for better prevention and education for all concerned. I recognize that only through prevention and education can the incidents of unwanted pregnancies be reduced so that abortions are not required. There IS a line from somewhere, "It takes two to Tango." That is why I advocate the education for boys and girls, and I do support extreme punishments for rapists.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Child-bearing is a LIFE-LONG commitment, not to be entered into lightly, capriciously, or flippantly.

We totally agree on this sentence. But that also means that the act of making babies is not to be engaged in under any of those circumstances either.

So tell me...if the act of making the baby was a brutal rape...does that change things?

Not in my belief. I've already said so. And I consider incest to be rape as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone with the awareness to acknowledge their lack of aptitude or resources for child-rearing should NOT be forced to bear children unwillingly... not by YOU, or by ME, or de Massah, or the Pope, or any other peripheral parties.

I agree. That is why I have already posted supporting much better education for everyone, especially girls who will grow up to be women and if they are better educated they have less likelyhood of ending up pregnant unexpectedly.

But you still maintain that once a woman is pregnant...she loses her rights as regards her own body????

To a great extent, as long as the baby does not threaten her physical life, YES! That is why it is SO important that the woman have full control and rights to her body before conception, so she can decide before conception whether she will have a baby or not.

If you prefer, I am pushing the argument that a woman needs all the control of her body that the pro-abortionists are arguing for BEFORE she gets pregnant.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Why is it you insist upon poking your nose into OTHER people's business?
Can't you follow the admonitions of Jesus, and tend to the mote in your OWN eye?

I suspect I have a large plank in my eye. However, I keep repeating the Jesus DID directly, and quotedly, say that He came to uphold the Law of Moses. There are many disagreements on just how much of Exodus and Deuteronomy are really the Law of Moses, but there seems to be complete agreement that the Ten Commandments are a major part of that law. The Ten Commandments say "Thou shall not kill", or if you prefer the other translation, "Thou shall not murder". Either translation supports my contention that you should not kill another human. I define a human to exist with the union of egg and sperm. There is no other so clear and obvious point in the development of the human that seperates it from a previous existance as conception.

Yes...how very, very convenient it is to pick and choose which of your god's many admonitions are important enogh to make a big deal out of...and which to simply trash can.

Gad...Christians are such hypocrites. And religion just seems to be at the root of all evil.

Magus raised the argument of complying with what Jesus said. I merely replied with another of his quoted remarks. In this case it is not I who is picking and choosing, rather it is Magus.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I find your position similar to that of certain protestant sects/cults who eschew transfusions, surgery and medical care of any kind... reserving the human right to intercede only on the level of prayer... and relying upon "Divine intercession" for any other healing, relief or therapy.
Frankly, I'll allow them THEIR choice to do as they fell God wills them to do FOR THEMSELVES... but I vehemently object to their mandating that everyone else do only as they do!

Those sects are declining medical intervention in their lives, a choice they are free to make. I am opposing medical, or other, intervention to cause death, the death of a person who has no voice to object. I think those other sects and I are at rather opposite ends of that argument.

Kelly

And you have the audacity to suppose that because you have pulled an idea out of the air about a human being existing....even at times when it is just a lump of a few dozen cells....everyone has to accept that bizarre notion.

Why?

If you will consult the medical literature I think you will find that the only definitive point which can be watched is the penetration of the egg by the sperm. Everything else is observed as having already having happened. This is not pulling something out of the air. Rather it is staking a belief on what is well documented scientific evidence.

Kelly
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:48 pm
Jer wrote:
Kelly,

Just a note that you came off sounding somewhat reasonable at the beginning when I believe you were a woman. You crossed the line into completely unreasonable when you started talking about religion with regards to the legality of abortion.

You're drawing the line at conception, that mass of cells couldn't live if it wasn't living off of it's host. That's not a person.

My two cents.

I was not the one to raise the religion issue. I have responded to those who have made religious points, but it was not I who raised the issue.

And a newborn baby nursing off its mother, or having someone fetch and warm a bottle is not living off of someone? Not to mention regularly changing its diapers, and providing other care? How old does a person have to be before you are willing to recognize them as a full human being? Age of reason, loosely defined as seven? Old idea of when self sufficiency was possible, about ten? When they become backtalking teenagers, a point many parents might support strongly? Our current legal age to sign a contract so others can send you to be cannon fodder, 18? Our current legal age to drink, 21? When old enough, by law, to run for different public offices, the president is supposed to be at least 35 and there are discussions in the political forums questioning the current holder-of-that-title's fitness for the job?

Kelly
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:54 pm
Magus wrote:
I admit to shuddering at the prospect of the late-term procedures (where a potentially viable fetus is denied the transition into personhood by having its brain scrambled in utero).

The grizzliest aspect is that the baby's head is delivered from the vagina so the doctor can get the instruments into the baby's brain through the back of its neck. Another minute, to allow the baby to fully exit the woman's body and the law calls that murder.

Quote:
I also note that, among learned physicians, the stages of zygote, embro and fetus are considered to be distinct and separate.

When I read the definitions in the medical books the signs of having reached the stage of development to warrant a different label being assigned to the baby, the signs are always read as existing, not as things to be positioned to watch for the transition from one stage to another. Yes these terms are used to denote different stages of development, but none are even as definitive as when a baby takes its first step.

Kelly
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:24 pm
Pro wrestling, Nascar, Yankees, whatever...
there's NO fanatic like a RELIGIOUS fanatic.

You can't have crucifixions or witch burnings without religious fanatics!

Heck, if the world could have rid itself of religious fanaticism ten years ago... the WTC would still be STANDING.

Those moslems who want to Purify the world of the "unclean infidels"... are like the R.Catholics who want to end Abortion.
They're not satisfied with leading their OWN lives... they feel a "divine" need to lead everyone ELSE's lives as well.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
KellyS wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
KellyS wrote:
Magus wrote:
Kelly, if YOU want to have a baby... please, do so.

I would love to, however the doctors publicly haven't admitted to trying to implant ovaries and uterous in a male.

Yeah, it figures. I thought you were male.

What do you care about freedom of choice for women...you will never have to face the problem.

I would think it is very obvious that I care a very great deal. Otherwise I would not be engaged in this discussion...

That doesn't follow at all. You may be engaging in this discussion and be completely indifferent to the freedom of women.

And I think you are.

Quote:
I have repeated argued here for better prevention and education for all concerned. I recognize that only through prevention and education can the incidents of unwanted pregnancies be reduced so that abortions are not required.

But you are blind to the fact that sometimes a pregnancy occurs no matter how careful a person is.

And if a woman does not wish to carry pregnancy to term...that is her right. I wish you religious types would just keep your noses out of it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Child-bearing is a LIFE-LONG commitment, not to be entered into lightly, capriciously, or flippantly.

We totally agree on this sentence. But that also means that the act of making babies is not to be engaged in under any of those circumstances either.

So tell me...if the act of making the baby was a brutal rape...does that change things?

Not in my belief. I've already said so. And I consider incest to be rape as well.

So even if a woman is raped an the pregnancy is the result of that rape, you want the government to say that the woman, by virtue of the rape pregnancy, no long has control over her body!!!!

That is a scumbag position to take.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone with the awareness to acknowledge their lack of aptitude or resources for child-rearing should NOT be forced to bear children unwillingly... not by YOU, or by ME, or de Massah, or the Pope, or any other peripheral parties.

I agree. That is why I have already posted supporting much better education for everyone, especially girls who will grow up to be women and if they are better educated they have less likelyhood of ending up pregnant unexpectedly.

But you still maintain that once a woman is pregnant...she loses her rights as regards her own body????

To a great extent, as long as the baby does not threaten her physical life, YES! That is why it is SO important that the woman have full control and rights to her body before conception, so she can decide before conception whether she will have a baby or not.

BUT ARE YOU TOTALLY BLIND! What decisions can she make if she is raped?

Quote:
If you prefer, I am pushing the argument that a woman needs all the control of her body that the pro-abortionists are arguing for BEFORE she gets pregnant.

Oh isn't that wonderful of you! You are all for allowing women to have freedom over their bodies right up until they do something you don't like...and then you want their rights terminated.

Gad. I hope beyond hope that you are just someone pulling all our legs. Nobody should be as uncaring, unsympathetic, unintelligent as you are being here.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Why is it you insist upon poking your nose into OTHER people's business?
Can't you follow the admonitions of Jesus, and tend to the mote in your OWN eye?

I suspect I have a large plank in my eye. However, I keep repeating the Jesus DID directly, and quotedly, say that He came to uphold the Law of Moses. There are many disagreements on just how much of Exodus and Deuteronomy are really the Law of Moses, but there seems to be complete agreement that the Ten Commandments are a major part of that law. The Ten Commandments say "Thou shall not kill", or if you prefer the other translation, "Thou shall not murder". Either translation supports my contention that you should not kill another human. I define a human to exist with the union of egg and sperm. There is no other so clear and obvious point in the development of the human that seperates it from a previous existance as conception.

Yes...how very, very convenient it is to pick and choose which of your god's many admonitions are important enogh to make a big deal out of...and which to simply trash can.

Gad...Christians are such hypocrites. And religion just seems to be at the root of all evil.

Magus raised the argument of complying with what Jesus said. I merely replied with another of his quoted remarks. In this case it is not I who is picking and choosing, rather it is Magus.

No, Kelly, you are picking and choosing which of your god's admonitons are important enough to you to make a big deal out of them...and which you simply discard as being not important.
That is blatant hypocrisy on your part.

Quote:
Quote:
I find your position similar to that of certain protestant sects/cults who eschew transfusions, surgery and medical care of any kind... reserving the human right to intercede only on the level of prayer... and relying upon "Divine intercession" for any other healing, relief or therapy.
Frankly, I'll allow them THEIR choice to do as they fell God wills them to do FOR THEMSELVES... but I vehemently object to their mandating that everyone else do only as they do!

Those sects are declining medical intervention in their lives, a choice they are free to make. I am opposing medical, or other, intervention to cause death, the death of a person who has no voice to object. I think those other sects and I are at rather opposite ends of that argument.

No you are not! You are sticking your nose into where it doesn't belong in an attempt to oppose abortion...the taking of an embryo or a fetus...not a "person."

You want arbitrarily to make it a person apparently so that you can brown nose your god...and look down your nose at others who have to make personal decisions regarding an abortion.

Quote:

If you will consult the medical literature I think you will find that the only definitive point which can be watched is the penetration of the egg by the sperm. Everything else is observed as having already having happened. This is not pulling something out of the air. Rather it is staking a belief on what is well documented scientific evidence.

Oh no. You are not saying that there is a fertilized egg...a zygote...an embryo...or a fetus there. YOU ARE ALLEGING THERE IS A PERSON THERE.

The science CLEARLY supports the idea that there is a fertilized egg; a clump of cells; a zygote; an embryo; or a fetus.

That has precious little to do with where you take it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 09:34 am
KellyS wrote:
Jer wrote:
Kelly,

My two cents.

I was not the one to raise the religion issue. I have responded to those who have made religious points, but it was not I who raised the issue.

And a newborn baby nursing off its mother, or having someone fetch and warm a bottle is not living off of someone? Not to mention regularly changing its diapers, and providing other care? How old does a person have to be before you are willing to recognize them as a full human being? Age of reason, loosely defined as seven? Old idea of when self sufficiency was possible, about ten? When they become backtalking teenagers, a point many parents might support strongly? Our current legal age to sign a contract so others can send you to be cannon fodder, 18? Our current legal age to drink, 21? When old enough, by law, to run for different public offices, the president is supposed to be at least 35 and there are discussions in the political forums questioning the current holder-of-that-title's fitness for the job?

Kelly

Take the religious element out of this issue...and it dies.

You people are trying to assert your religious guesses and mythology on everyone else.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
When a baby is born anyone can take care of it - it doesn't have to be the mother.

When an embryo is in the womb it needs to be there in order to survive. Otherwise we could just take it out and pass it on to someone who wanted it.

Hyperbole doesn't win arguments.

KellyS wrote:
Jer wrote:
Kelly,

My two cents.

Kelly
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
KellyS wrote:
Jer wrote:
Kelly,

My two cents.

Kelly

Take the religious element out of this issue...and it dies.

You people are trying to assert your religious guesses and mythology on everyone else.

I have based my arguments on biology and development. That is where I make my stand.

However, when I am attacked from a different direction I do reserve the right to repulse the attack from that direction. Do not attack me for bringing religion into this discussion. Magus brought it in, I merely replied with a different quote, and explained my quote. In a street fight involving bare knuckles I'm sure you would reach for a rock just as soon as you realized that your opponent had picked up a rock. I don't just settle for an equal size rock. I grab the closest rock to my ability to wield it, no matter how big, sharp, or heavy. As long as the arguments don't throw religion at me I don't throw it back at them.

Kelly
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:35 am
KellyS wrote:
I have based my arguments on biology and development. That is where I make my stand.

No you haven't.

Biology does not say there is a human being in the womb that must be potected. Biology says there is a zygote, embryo, or fetus in the womb.

Without religion...your argument falls flat on its face.

And with religion...your argument becomes absurd. And I rather suspect that is the reason you people who would deny women the right to decide what their body can and cannot be used for...have decided to travel this other road.

I'll discuss this with you for as long as you like...and I appreciate the position you have and the energy you are putting into your arguments.

But, in my opinion, you are completely wrong on this...and your arguments are simply illogical.
0 Replies

KellyS

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:32 pm
Forgive me if this offends anyone.

I think this discussion needs to be split. Those who want to argue religion as it applies to abortion might want to take that argument to the religion forum. This discussion was running very strongly until religion was raised. We now have almost two pages of remarks pertaining to religion.

I well appreciate that many folks do not share my belief that a human being is created when the sperm and egg unite. I have argued that such union is the most defining moment in early human development. Other definitions are based on things observed, or not. I wonder if anyone's belief, thinking, or argument is going to change. I haven't seen anyone argue the technicalities of my position, only state that they think I am wrong and disagree with me. I don't object to disagreement in the least, but I would like some serious explaination of why you believe the way you do. Just using the words does not make your point more valid, or less, than mine. Please tell me why you think a zygote is not a human, among other terms and in terms of something which differentiates its development from the other terms you use. I don't see events which can be watched for, only landmarks of things which have become present.

I'll hold of responding to another attack until you folks decide if you want to return this discussion to science, or keep in going as religion bashing. As I said above, I think religious discussions belong in the religion section.

Kelly
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:39 pm
KellyS wrote:
Please tell me why you think a zygote is not a human...

If you will explain to me why you think a monkey wrench is not a screw driver...you will have the explanation of why a zygote is not a human.

You are playing games here, Kelly.

A zygote is no more a human being than is a cancerous tumor...despite the fact that one grow into (become at some point in the future)[/i]a human being and one cannot.

An acorn can become an oak tree...but an acorn is not an oak tree...no matter how much your rationalizations want to make it one.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 06:40 pm
I do appreciate why you want to keep religion out of this issue, by the way...and I don't blame you.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 09:31 pm
WithOUT the Religion aspect, the issue is not nearly as vague.
It is only when a belief in "the Soul" as an entity is established, that THEN the issue gets murky.

BUT... There is no SCIENTIFIC proof of the existence of a "soul" as conceived of by the various Faiths.

Note that historically, the most vehement objectors to Abortion have been the slave-owners... and those with an interest in breeding a population for the HARNESS.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2004 10:43 pm
twyvel wrote:
Is a 6 month old human being a person?

Is a 3 month old fetus a human being according to you?

Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at 24 weeks gestation when the fetal brain has developed to the point that consciousness might be possible, based on recordings of brain wave patterns. This also happens to coincide with viability.
0 Replies