Trump! Making a mockery of the GOP

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:46 pm
I hate the man, not a chance Id vote for him, but Im having a blast listening to him throw all the GOP's catch phrases in their face like "true conservatism." I have to laugh at the guy anf give him a fist bump for his BS, but not for Prez...just as an SNL actor on the stage or a parady of presidents like the cartoon, "Lil Bill." Ahahahaha!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 5,670 • Replies: 99

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:28 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160510-trump-less-popular-than-lice_zpscg6y5ipt.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:22 pm
This puts me in mind of the French elections in 2002, when the odious Le Pen suddenly became a serious contender, much like Trump.

A large proportion of the French population despised Chirac, and considered him a self centred, money grasping politician who would even make Blair seem almost respectable, and who would never normally vote for him. Ever.

Faced with the prospect of either having the sleazy Chirac in power, or the fascist Le Pen, French voters held their noses and voted for Chirac.

There were even polling stations where disgusted voters set up mock sheep dip disinfectant trays outside, so that voters could ceremonially cleanse themselves after putting their mark next to Chirac.

Interesting days indeed.
Joe1941

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 05:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
I am very surprised at the very respectable people I hear that are going to vote Trump. Most are extremely disgusted with Washington thanks mostly to Obama and congress.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 01:40 pm
Donald Trump is building a giant, beautiful wall between America and his tax returns

Quote:
Buried at the bottom of the Associated Press's interview this week with Donald Trump is a quiet acknowledgement of something we've known for a long time: Trump has little intention of releasing his tax returns.

Trump "dismissed the idea that voters have a right to see his tax returns before going to the polls," the AP's Julie Pace and Jill Colvin write. "He's so far refused to release those documents, citing an ongoing audit. And besides, he said, 'there's nothing to learn from them.'"

A later article bumped that revelation up and added one other detail: Trump "has said he doesn't believe voters are interested."

It's worth contrasting those comments with what Trump said in January 2012, when then-Republican front-runner Mitt Romney was facing criticism for not releasing his taxes. Shortly before Romney did so, Trump appeared on "Fox and Friends" to suggest that Romney had no reason to hesitate. The clip, dug up by the liberal PAC American Bridge, quotes Trump as saying that he wouldn't hesitate to release his returns if he ran.

"Would that be a repellent for you, for Donald Trump, to reveal everything?" host Brian Kilmeade asks.

"No," Trump replies, "I actually think that it’s a great thing when you can show that you've been successful, and that you’ve made a lot of money, that you've employed a lot of people. I actually think that it's a positive."

In another interview, Trump criticizes Romney's fumbling answer to a debate question about releasing his taxes. "Mitt has to get those tax returns out," Trump said. "I'm a little surprised they weren't better prepared for that."

That was then.

This year, Trump has repeatedly insisted that because his tax filings are under audit, his lawyers are advising him not to release them to the public. We spoke with a tax attorney who agreed that it wasn't a great idea to take documents central to an investigation — which is what an audit is — and make them public.

That required taking Trump's word for the fact that the returns are under audit. So, last month, Trump released a letter indicating that returns from 2009 on are still under investigation. Investigations of returns from earlier years have been closed, but Trump's attorneys suggest that ongoing activities in documents being audited are "continuations of prior, closed examinations" in the sense that "transactions and activities" in earlier years were linked to things under audit. We asked former IRS commissioner Mark Everson to assess the claim that Trump therefore couldn't release his taxes; Everson (who at one time was a long-shot competitor to Trump in the GOP primaries) strongly disagreed.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 02:52 pm
fools rush in
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 03:59 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Donald Trump is building a giant, beautiful wall between America and his tax returns

Quote:

Trump "dismissed the idea that voters have a right to see his tax returns before going to the polls," the AP's Julie Pace and Jill Colvin write. "He's so far refused to release those documents, citing an ongoing audit. And besides, he said, 'there's nothing to learn from them.'"

Indeed, we have no such right in regard to any candidate. Our only right is to express ourselves on election day.
revelette2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:07 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Indeed, we have no such right in regard to any candidate. Our only right is to express ourselves on election day

Not the point. There are two points. The first one is that he said in 2012 if was running he wouldn't hesitate to show his tax returns. He is running and he refuses to show his tax returns. He lied. Second point, since he refuses to show his tax returns, he can't very well challenge Hillary to show her speech transcripts.
roger

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:24 pm
@revelette2,
I didn't know about the first, and the second is obviously true.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:55 pm
@revelette2,
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-release-tax-returns-election/story?id=39039525
revelette2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 07:46 am
@Brand X,
Once his audit is complete. He can do it legally now anyway, this way he can stretch it out as long as he wants.

Quote:
Actually, as someone who saw Trump’s federal tax returns about a decade ago as part of a legal action in which he sued me for libel (the suit was later dismissed), I think there probably are some things to be learned from them.

The tax returns my lawyers and I reviewed were sealed, and a court order prevents me from speaking or writing about the specifics of what I saw. I can say that Trump routinely delayed -- for months on end -- producing those documents, and when they finally arrived they were so heavily redacted that they looked like crossword puzzles. The litigation ran on for five years, and during that time we had to petition the court to compel Trump to hand over unredacted versions of the tax returns -- which he ultimately did.

source
parados

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 07:50 am
@revelette2,
There is nothing preventing him from releasing his tax returns from over 5 years ago. Clinton has released the last 33 years of her returns.

The IRS suggests you keep 3 years of returns unless you have committed fraud when filing. Trump claims his last 4-5 years are being audited.
Brand X

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 08:20 am
@revelette2,
1. Has the election happened?

2. Has the audit ended?

As long as the answer to either is no then you don't know whether he will release the records or not. You claim he isn't going to, you don't know.
engineer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 08:22 am
@Brand X,
Trump has claimed he isn't going to.
Brand X

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 08:24 am
@engineer,
He just Tweeted this yesterday.

'In interview I told @AP that my taxes are under routine audit and I would release my tax returns when audit is complete, not after election!'

So from that it appears he expects to release before the election. We'll see.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:47 am
@parados,
Quote:
There is nothing preventing him from releasing his tax returns from over 5 years ago. Clinton has released the last 33 years of her returns.

Which proves what? She is still a liar, a criminal and an incompetent who filed her tax returns?
farmerman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:51 am
@woiyo,
at least she is not skirting the requirements with some bullshit excuse .
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 01:05 pm
@Brand X,
Quote:
1. Has the election happened?

2. Has the audit ended
As long as the answer to either is no then you don't know whether he will release the records or not. You claim he isn't going to, you don't know.

I said he can stretch out the audit excuse as long as he wants. He still said as long as the audit is done. He can legally release his tax returns even under audit.
Brand X

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 01:22 pm
@revelette2,
You said, 'He is running and he refuses to show his tax returns. He lied. Second point, since he refuses to show his tax returns, he can't very well challenge Hillary to show her speech transcripts.'

But he isn't refusing, he's just not releasing them on your terms or anyone elses.
revelette2

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 03:26 pm
@Brand X,
You really need to follow the post in sequence. I said he refuses when I didn't know he changed (sort of) his mind about releasing them. When he releases his tax returns, including the ones being audited, since it is not against the law to release them while they are being audited, then perhaps he can challenge Hillary to release her speech transcripts. Lets finish the traditional hurdle before creating new ones just for Hillary.